• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrBojangles

Feb 22, 2010
    The initial problems with them were due to their physical design, reader problems, and clients not installing the software on their readers correctly. There were no problems behind the actual IT and software aspect of the cards themselves.

Anyways, enough with this bickering. I do like Atlantic and Engage, but do believe they could lower their prices a bit, but as mentioned their service is top notch when they actually feel like talking to you.

Fair enough.

It just takes goddamn forever to update your CAC, or do anything with it whatsoever. Mine expired in December, and I'm dreading getting a new one because of the 48 hours of work I'll have to take off to wait for the thing to update.

SciereVeritas

Jan 27, 2010
    Fair enough.

It just takes goddamn forever to update your CAC, or do anything with it whatsoever. Mine expired in December, and I'm dreading getting a new one because of the 48 hours of work I'll have to take off to wait for the thing to update.

Yeah lucky for us and all the users around the Washington area there are many places to get a new one. If your stationed in some countries you have to travel a long ways to get your new one. It is improving though.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Honestly I dont see why anyone would ever go to a gun store other than to get something now! If it has to be ordered its better to cut out the middle man, especially when you walk into a store ask them to order a weapon for you and they tell you the distributer is sold out...

MrBojangles

Feb 22, 2010
    Honestly I dont see why anyone would ever go to a gun store other than to get something now! If it has to be ordered its better to cut out the middle man, especially when you walk into a store ask them to order a weapon for you and they tell you the distributer is sold out...

Well they can't really help that. I'm guessing they do their best to get inventory. But with transfer fees, once you order it online a lot of times it's about the same price.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

That is a 2 way street, if everyone had that attitude then there wouldnt be any shops to fix your guns or places to order anything gut fudd guns. They would all go out of business and they likely wouldnt do transfers either (Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain), well Gander has Smiths.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I am all for supporting local establishments. But when things cost 25% less online or the locals are unwilling to order things... :mad54:
    Brick and mortar gun stores, just like any other brick and mortar store, need to have great service, reasonable prices and a good selection. I appericate that it takes alot of money to run a well stocked store, but the convience is only worth so much to a consumer.

Guvnor

Drill Press Guru
    Sep 19, 2009
    It was either him or you, right? ;)

It wasn't in Maryland. I hunt a lot of places. That was dinner for me one evening.

I use 180 gr plated bullets in front of 8 gr of trail boss. Very low velocity minimal recoil with the 460 S&W. Very little meat damage.

Here is dinner on a different day with a 40 X in 308. This gun was transferred to me by Atlantic Guns.

rabbit1_edited.jpg

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I was raised in mont co. I spent alot of time in both Atlantic and Engage. Good people and they work with reasonable people on the pricing.

I actually now drive alittle farther to support someone I feel treats me Great ALL the time. Gun Connection.

New to the forums.

I work near Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I would prefer not to mention the times I found some very good bargains, but here are some near-misses:

* Chinese SKS, early 1960s date, no import marks. It was well-worn and most likely a Vietnam bring-back, but without paperwork I was not going to bite.

* Late 1950s Savage 99 in .308 Winchester with vintage scope for $450. I balked because I heard 99s dropped in quality after a certain point--this was well before said point, d'oh!

* Czech CZ-38 pistol, sat there for months, when I finally decided to make a move it had been sold (this was at the height of the .380 ACP shortage).

As for the place in Kensington MD, between my really bad experience and the scare tactics in their radio ads, I refuse to go back.

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    New to the forums.

As for the place in Kensington MD, between my really bad experience and the scare tactics in their radio ads, I refuse to go back.

What scare tactics do you speak of I have never heard any Radio ads for Engage Armament ?

What scare tactics do you speak of I have never heard any Radio ads for Engage Armament ?

No, was for Potomac Trading. In the name of full disclosure, this was many many years ago.

They ran ads on AM Talk radio that basically said "If you have unregistered firearms, you can legally sell them to us", which is technically correct, but the wording of the ad made it come across like scaring people who did not know any better.

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    No, was for Potomac Trading. In the name of full disclosure, this was many many years ago.

They ran ads on AM Talk radio that basically said "If you have unregistered firearms, you can legally sell them to us", which is technically correct, but the wording of the ad made it come across like scaring people who did not know any better.

OK I had never heard them if you haven't been by there in a long time you might want to stop in. The owner of Potomac Trading is still selling trains but has nothing to do with the gun shop anymore.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Bad press for Atlantic from having done business with the Pentagon Shooter. At least the article goes beyond just a purchase and takes in the shops statement.
    "The Pentagon shooter's brother say there's a charge on his credit card from a gun store in Silver Spring, Maryland, but it may have been for something other than a gun. A spokeswoman for the Maryland State Police says she has no record of John Patrick Bedell purchasing a handgun in the state.

The owner of Atlantic Guns says he didn't sell a gun to Bedell, and that the store doesn't sell -- and is legally prohibited from selling -- guns to people from out of state."

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=98183&catid=158

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bad press for Atlantic from having done business with the Pentagon Shooter. At least the article goes beyond just a purchase and takes in the shops statement.
    "The Pentagon shooter's brother say there's a charge on his credit card from a gun store in Silver Spring, Maryland, but it may have been for something other than a gun. A spokeswoman for the Maryland State Police says she has no record of John Patrick Bedell purchasing a handgun in the state.

The owner of Atlantic Guns says he didn't sell a gun to Bedell, and that the store doesn't sell -- and is legally prohibited from selling -- guns to people from out of state."

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=98183&catid=158

That's the problem with the media. I believe that article (The Post as well) was written that way intentionally to make it look like the shooter had tried to buy a handgun there. "Something other than a gun" What Bravo Sierra. Had the reporter fact checked, he or she would have known that legally buying a handgun if you are not a MD resident is IMPOSSIBLE. The part about MSP was just pandering to the antis IMO. My guess is they knew this and maybe even fact checked but decided to write the article to make it look like he either attempted to or had purchased a handgun at a Maryland shop. They made a decision to write it the way they did, irregardless. More anti BS from the media. Nothing new there anyway.

That's why i tell people I used the Post to line my cat's litter box. he refused to use it. know why? He told me it would have been redundant.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I stopped in there today, and its definately my kind of store. It is a really good size, they dont hover over you, but are there to answer any questions, and take you right to an item that you ask about instead of just saying "its over there." Talked me out of buying something because in their opinon it wasn't worth the money. Kind of spendy, but the prices seemed appropriate to the location, and now that I know where they are I will be stopping by on my way home from MC alot.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    Just finished "I, Sniper" by Stephen Hunter. There is a reference to Atlantic Guns, Silverspring in the book, that made me smile.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Went by Atlantic today in Rockville for the Ruger day's, it was packed and people were buying Big time. Packed house and waiting in line to buy.
    I'm happy to see a brick & morter doing well and their 60th year as a gun smith/dealer.
    I hope all MDS industry partners the same success now and for the next........

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Went by Atlantic today in Rockville for the Ruger day's, it was packed and people were buying Big time. Packed house and waiting in line to buy.
    I'm happy to see a brick & morter doing well and their 60th year as a gun smith/dealer.
    I hope all MDS industry partners the same success now and for the next........

I was there @ noon. It was pretty busy w/ the Ruger Sale! what time were you there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom