• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Been thinking about taking a class. Not really sure where to start. I'm not a beginner shooter but no expert either. I hit the range a few times a month and though taking an actual pistol class could be useful and fun, and possibly lead to more or even something competitive eventually.

What's a good class to take? I'm in Anne Arundel county but don't mind driving if need be.

Also. What's a proper pistol for classes? I have a Stoeger Cougar, would that be sufficient or would I have to upgrade to something better?
    I also have a GP100 but I'd rather not use that as it is a safe queen since it was a gift.

Thanks.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hi. You won't go wrong with any instructor I know in Maryland. Today I'll recommend Annapolis Defense and Security and/or Dukes Defense. I'll give you 2 hours on 1-1 pistol training for $250 (my friends price). Will assess where you are now and take you up a level or two. I've trained hundreds and hundreds of folks, mostly active military (agents+).

The Cougar is ok for carry, I don't like the safety. I have to ask you a few questions before I can recommend a specific pistol. Can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or 26. For CCW, I like only a few others better.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I don't CCW since I live in MD and am unworthy apparently.

Picking up a Glock isn't a problem though, I've been planning to grab one anyways.

I've never done any type of training, just read a few books and spend as much time as I can at the range. I've been going regularly for the past couple years. Is it too soon to think about one of these classes? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing or is the class a good idea for someone with no military or LEO background regardless?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You sound on the right track. I do recommend you take a proper, thorough class now, so you don't develop any bad habits. If not from me, there are several excellent instructors in Maryland.

Before you purchase another firearm, I recommend you wait until after our session, I'll let you shoot a bunch of pistols and go over the advantages of each. You'll be able to make a much more informed decision after.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is the NRA pistol and NRA pistol instructor a daunting task? Thinking of this route for MD ccw ... eventually.

Minuteman I am very interested but would like to get to a level I am comfortable with beforehand in order to get the most out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom