• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    My nephew is in Oregon and is about to exit the Navy. He wants to ship his 30-30 back home to his parents house in MD. Is this a possibility or does it have to go thru a FFL.

8mm

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    One party has to be FFL. One owner. Ie I can ship to FFL. They can ship back. But I don't think I can ship to myself. Legally, I probably could, but I don't think fedex allows it. I think. Call fedex. I'm no expert though.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I do know that if people can legally own a long gun, then they can ship it via USPS. Handgun NO... Long guns yes.

I will reserve comment about the legality of him receiving it as I am not sure. I would HOPE yes he could, but that is wishful thinking.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    My nephew is in Oregon and is about to exit the Navy. He wants to ship his 30-30 back home to his parents house in MD. Is this a possibility or does it have to go thru a FFL. 8mm

Don't see why not. Springfield armory ships my gun directly to me BUT they can't ship a gun I just bought from them directly to me.

So transporting a gun legally owned by you shouldn't be an issue.

Then again this is MD

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Granted mine was clear as mud, I don't think it's technically illegal. But I don't think FedEx or ups will do it. Cause how do I prove ownership? It opens a can of worms. And again, I'm using quantifier a like think. Hahaha. Not 100% here. As a LGS or FFL. They'd know.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only FFL at one end of a shipment requirement is for Fed Ex or UPS. Since he's shipping a long gun, it can go USPS. No FFL required.

Declare the firearm to USPS to be legal.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    According to ATF's Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers (https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download) Question 6.

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ATF says it's ok. But both Fed Ex and UPS policy require an FFL at one end of a transaction, including an 03 C&R.

UPS
    Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
    Fed Ex

Firearms
    1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
      1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
      2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Maybe you're shipping brand new baseball bats or some golf clubs. Do they x-ray packages? Fully disassemble it and maybe you're just shipping a bunch of parts....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why would you hide the legally required information? Fed law says if you ship a firearm, it must be declared to the carrier, including UPS,Fed Ex or USPS.

That's the law. If you lie to the USPS, that won't go well in the event of a problem,. And good luck filing an insurance claim with a private carrier if you lie about the contents of Federally mandate declaration on a shipment.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Wonder if being a Maryland designated collector counts? I have a fancy letter..., somewhere. ;-) if ATF says it's good to go, perfect. USPS gave me a hard time about an upper once. Maybe it was just that clerk? I've never checked again. Always assumed I couldn't after that..., but I know what happens when I Assume....

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Maybe you're shipping brand new baseball bats or some golf clubs. Do they x-ray packages? Fully disassemble it and maybe you're just shipping a bunch of parts....

The receiver is always considered a firearm regardless of any other parts that may be attached. While you can ship any of the other parts any way you want you cannot get around the fact that the receiver is still considered a firearm

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The "license" portion in the UPS and Fed Ex refers to a Federal licensee. A Designated Collector in MD is not "license" to do anything. Get a FFL 03 and then you're GTG.

An 03 FFL is 30 dollars.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here are the statutes

[
    27 C.F.R. § 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.
    Title 27 - Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    Subpart C—Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.
    USPS Regulation:

Policies, Procedures, and Forms Updates

Manuals

DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms — Clarification

Effective November 7, 2011, the Postal Service™ will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Ser*vice, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) 601.12.1 through 601.12.3 to clarify the standards surrounding the mailability of firearms.
    These clarifications were prepared in collaboration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and neither expands nor limits the current require*ments for the shipment of firearms through the U. S. Postal Service®. Prior to this clarification, firearms mailing options were only provided to the prospective mailer through an ATF contact. The primary purpose of this article is to pro*vide clarity for those individuals seeking advice on the mail*ing of firearms and related items and to help reduce the number of questions submitted to the ATF.
    Additionally, the Postal Service is providing guidelines for the mailing of air guns, which reflect reasonable prac*tices commonly used in the industry.
    Postmasters may provide these revised guidelines to firearms mailers immediately.
    Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM)
    600Basic Standards for All Mailing Services
    601Mailability
    12.0Other Restricted and Nonmailable Matter
    [Revise title of 12.1 as follows:]
    12.1Firearms
    12.2Rifles and Shotguns
    [Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]
    Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shot*guns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:
    [FONT=&quot]a.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sent within the same state of mailing. These items must [/FONT][FONT=&quot]bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must in[/FONT][FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot]clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]requiring a signature at delivery.[/FONT]
    b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner’s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immedi*ately preceding the name of the applicable tem*porary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a.
    [FONT=&quot]c.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner [/FONT][FONT=&quot]domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed [/FONT][FONT=&quot]using those services described in 12.2a.[/FONT]

Falsifying the contents of a shipment containing firearms is ILLEGAL.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    One party has to be FFL. One owner. Ie I can ship to FFL. They can ship back. But I don't think I can ship to myself. Legally, I probably could, but I don't think fedex allows it. I think. Call fedex. I'm no expert though.

Fully legal to ship to yourself. Use USPS, don't ask, don't tell. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom