• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I locked the rules thread since they aren't up for debate and I didn't want to clutter up the "official" thread. My PM inbox is filling up with feedback so I figured I'd better provide an outlet.

If you have a serious question or comment, please let us know here. I don't want anyone to go down in flames having not understood one of the rules. Smart-ass comments not welcome.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I saw the forum rules pop up with my search and thought that maybe I had done something wrong... Glad I wasn't the only one thrown by that...

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    So , is the notices thing going to be there and take up the space every time I go into a thread, I understand people get thier panties in an uproar when tested or folks don't agree with them, can it be shrunk alittle.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    So , is the notices thing going to be there and take up the space every time I go into a thread, I understand people get thier panties in an uproar when tested or folks don't agree with them, can it be shrunk alittle.

Click the little red "X" in the top right corner. It should make it go away forever. If that doesn't work then please let me know.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    So I guess Im not the only one who sent a PM. Hhahaha. I said it in the pm and Ill say it here, these rules will save this forum. +1 for the post. I especially like the This forum is for ADULTS line.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    My thoughts...

As always, I'm glad to hear tough talk regarding the asshattery on the forum and am eager to see it put into action.

There has always been room for mature discussion on all topics in my experience on MDS, and that's the way it should be in my opinion. While we're on my opinions, I think there should also be room for good natured ribbing and otherwise light hearted content so long as it doesn't completely devolve and detract from the forum's larger purpose. The problem, as most of us know, that line is really hard to draw.

We have a small number of very vocal members who feel it their duty to drag topics down into the gutter, seemingly on a whim. Sometimes, the members are otherwise well-established and usually very knowledgeable, so there's yet another difficulty in finding a happy medium. There's something to be said for quality of membership even in the face of our ever-growing membership numbers.

Long story short, I'm glad I found MDS and I've learned a great deal in my time here. Hopefully I've managed to do more good around here than bad. In my mind, things have changed on the forum in my time here, for better and for worse. I don't envy the job performed by ownership/staff, but it's an important one for a larger purpose, namely 2A. Let's try to not ever lose sight of that in our contributions to the forum.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I read the rules, is there something different? I thought it has always been this way.

These rules have always been assumed, but never in writing. Thanks to the moderators and especially Zoostation for compiling them into a nice little package that will persist in numerous locations around the forum so that no one can ever claim ignorance of the rules again. We are beginning a new approach of dealing with the member rather than the content in order to try and purge the bad apples, and I want to make sure that everyone knows where we stand. You should see less of the much maligned thread/post "censorship", but you will also notice some people disappearing for a week or two, or even permanently.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    There has always been room for mature discussion on all topics in my experience on MDS, and that's the way it should be in my opinion. While we're on my opinions, I think there should also be room for good natured ribbing and otherwise light hearted content so long as it doesn't completely devolve and detract from the forum's larger purpose. The problem, as most of us know, that line is really hard to draw.

We promise not to go overboard. We are after the seriously bad stuff. Hit rewind and try to remember the forum prior to the 2008 Presidential election. That is what we are after. It's doable in my opinion. I'd say 95% of the members here are awesome. It is the 5% that we need to purge, and we are going to let them hang themselves with their own rope. Right now everyone has a clean slate, so hopefully they get the clue now and move forward without drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom