• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 25, 2009
    First post, hey yall.

Bought a 10/22(first gun, woo!) from the Rockville store Monday. Got a comparatively younger guy named Chris to help me out. Good guy. Helped me out, made the process nice and smooth. Even held onto the gun for a few hours while I ran to the MVA to grab a MD ID card(didn't realize my PA one wouldn't be good). Not that it was going to run off while I was gone, but it was a nice gesture no less. Prices were a bit high, but it was so close to home, it's just fine.

Edit: I lied, I started a thread some time ago about moving to MD from PA. I totally forgot about that. So it's a third post really.

Last edited:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    First post, hey yall.

Bought a 10/22(first gun, woo!) from the Rockville store Monday. Got a comparatively younger guy named Chris to help me out. Good guy. Helped me out, made the process nice and smooth. Even held onto the gun for a few hours while I ran to the MVA to grab a MD ID card(didn't realize my PA one wouldn't be good). Not that it was going to run off while I was gone, but it was a nice gesture no less. Prices were a bit high, but it was so close to home, it's just fine.

Chris is great! He's been super helpful every tim I've been there...

Jamie

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I believe in supporting local gun stores, but when I find the same Remington 870 tactical shotgun on Gunbroker for $290, that Atlantic wanted $400 for, well I had to draw the line there. They need to try to be competitive. Even with shipping and a transfer fee, the online deal saved me $84 since I'd have to pay sales tax in Maryland.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^ But then how is it Dan and Gun Connection have fair prices ?

Well they are smart and go above and beyond. You need to give a person a reason to spend their money at your brick and mortar store vs online. Good customer service / a good gunsmith plus Dan is on this forum. I think being online in forums actually is a real smart way to reach people.

Im not saying anything bad about Atlantic Guns, just wanted to stress that local shops can compete. They just need to use internet to their advantage. There is something to say about a shop where people are sitting in there car waiting for Dan to come in and open the doors.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    ^ But then how is it Dan and Gun Connection have fair prices ?

Easy. I'll wager his rent is less that 1/3 of Atlantic's. His shop is less than 1/2 the size! He has 1/4 of the employees. He has less than 1/10th the stock on hand...

Not disparaging Dan in the least, but when you do business in Downtown Silver Spring (or Rockville), or almost any part of Montgomery County, it's gonna' cost more...

Jamie

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thats a fair assessment to bring up and does have something to do with it. But my main point was that it comes down to finding ways you can do something better for the customer then some online retailer , if you can find "that" thing people will come to you regardless if its an hour drive

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Thats a fair assessment to bring up and does have something to do with it. But my main point was that it comes down to finding ways you can do something better for the customer then some online retailer , if you can find "that" thing people will come to you regardless if its an hour drive

Well, imho, they -do- have more to offer than an on-line dealer. I can go there and speak with a knowledgeable salesman, handle over a dozen different models of the same caliber, pick up a multitude of accessories.

Now, if I know exactly what I want, and I can save a significant amount on-line, I'll do it. I do it w/ammo all the time. I've purchased several thousand rnds of ammo from AIM, Wideners, LTD Ammo, Palmetto, etc. Or, I'll buy it at Wally World. But if my local shop has something I want, I'll pick it up and spend the extra $$$.

Nordstroms is an expensive store. Yet, I'll shop there and pay a bit more because of the excellent service I receive when I do...

Jamie

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    I agree completely if you can find a better deal online or any ware then great. But to expect a brick and morter store in one of the most expensive real estate areas in the country to price match a large box store on line is asinine.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Well here's another example of Atlantic standing up and doing the right thing. Last week I got a sale flyer from Atlantic in the mail. The flyer advertised a one day sale in October. So I called the store and said - I got your flyer after the sale date it's November. The guy on the phone - don't recall his name - said - We know the mailer went out late so we extended the sale though this weekend (11/8). So a 1 day sale turned into a 10 day sale because of their mailing company's screw up. Not bad I say.

Just want to make it clear that I'm not a brainwashed Atlantic Guns cheerleader. I often buy gun parts and ammo mail order to keep my costs down. But for a full service gun dealer located in Montgomery County, they offer good service and selection at a somehat higher than average price. Seems like a fair trade off.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    A good establishment. Daniel at the Silver Spring store installed my night sights for free (with purchase of a P220)!

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    +1. As a resident of MoCo. Everything here is expensive, especially real estate.

Jhason
    I agree completely if you can find a better deal online or any ware then great. But to expect a brick and morter store in one of the most expensive real estate areas in the country to price match a large box store on line is asinine.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    +1. As a resident of MoCo. Everything here is expensive, especially real estate.

Jhason

not anymore. I bought a 550k last year and live in a 460k house now. With the two foreclosures and two unsold houses in the neighborhood, value's going down like the titanic.

As for Atlantic Guns (rockville), their AR prices are creeping down, selection of CZ's are going up. I do like them because of Amado (?) he knows the CZ inside and out.

You can find deals there, they had some used AR's a couple of weeks ago for a good price, I just didn't have the credit card on me at the time. When I went back, they were sold.

I am starting to warm to them a little more. It must be a fight to stay open in this county.

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    That sucks about your house. Still a 460K for a house is still out of the range for most folks. I was going to look at upgrading to a single family home but I feel that prices still need to work there way down especially when unemployment is over 10% In what area of MoCo are you at?

I played the real estate game and flipped a first phase single family home in St. Mary's County. Here is a link to the house http://yourhome.dabu.com/2/951-House-Pictures . It was around 320K when I bought it. That house would probably cost 700K here in MoCo.

I haven't been to AG recently. I might check them out this week.

Jhason

not anymore. I bought a 550k last year and live in a 460k house now. With the two foreclosures and two unsold houses in the neighborhood, value's going down like the titanic.

As for Atlantic Guns (rockville), their AR prices are creeping down, selection of CZ's are going up. I do like them because of Amado (?) he knows the CZ inside and out.

You can find deals there, they had some used AR's a couple of weeks ago for a good price, I just didn't have the credit card on me at the time. When I went back, they were sold.

I am starting to warm to them a little more. It must be a fight to stay open in this county.

mdsbrain

Nov 16, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I've bought a RRA-AR15 and a Springfield XD 9mm from the Silver Spring store along with loads of bits to go with them. I have always had great customer service and helpful people. They are what I consider my local gun store. Several of my friends frequent the store as well and all go for the customer service. We support them even though we know they are more expensive. But look at where they are in the heart of Silver Spring.

I also work with Carl there.

Last edited:

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008

Amado is the man. Really good guy. I make it a point not to go there when he's not working. The other guys are great as well but Amado is the one I end up BSing with plus my son likes him. He's always showing him the things that make my wallet thinner.

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    1. The average median household salary for the DC Metro area does not represent the rest of America.
    2. The average median price of a single family home is around 229K.
    3. Unemployment is officially 10.2% which means that the unofficial number can be as high as 17-18%.
    4. If you bought a 460K house without bringing any equity from a previous house you have a monthly payment around $2,500-$3,500. You factor in kids, private school, car payments, outstanding credit card bills, utilities, your gun buying habits, saving for retirement it can be difficult.

If you are not in this situation and can afford a half million dollar house then good for you.

Why do you say that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom