• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    In no particular order.

.223/5.56: Silencerco Saker556, SWR SpecWar556, AAC M4-2000

22lr: Silencerco Sparrow, SWR Spectre II, AAC Element

It is highly recommended that you do not use a 5.56 suppressor on a 22lr. 22lr is a very dirty round and will lead up any suppressor it is fired through. For 22lr you want a suppressor that can be fully disassembled for cleaning like those mentioned above.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Who makes the quietest can for .223 and/or .22 caliber? Money is not a concern, just quality and quiet. Thanks for any and all input.

From all I can tell, Everyone! Yes they all claim to be the quietest as its not a good ad to say you are the second quietest... So much depends on ammo, barrel length...etc. I don't know you will be able to get a real answer.

The top tier of 223 cans seem to be AAC and YHM. You most often "hear" on the net that the M4-2000 is the best. http://www.advanced-armament.com/M4-2000_p_409.html. If you ask 5 people, 3 will disagree. I don't own one of these myself but I have looked into the matter as I am considering buying one soon. With money as no option, AAC or YHM seem to be the way to go from what I have read.

Remember that 223 cans and 22LR cans are very different. You really should buy for either the 223 or 22LR and not both.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    For high end cans you should research Knight's Armament and Surefire. As others have stated the difference is likely minimal.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The top tier of 223 cans seem to be AAC and YHM.
    YHM is not "Top Tier". They make a good budget oriented suppressor. Nothing special, nothing bad. Theyre built tough and will last. Great for someone who's not really looking for frills but wants a decent suppressor that does the job.
    For high end cans you should research Knight's Armament and Surefire. As others have stated the difference is likely minimal.

KAC hasnt changed their suppressor design in years. Theyre quiet, but not the quietist. And for their overinflated price, they wouldnt be my first choice.

Surefire makes great suppressors. But, just like KAC, theyre overpriced. They dont do anything the suppressors from Silencerco/SWR or AAC cant do. All perform equally but theres a major difference in price tag.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    hmmm,

I thought we were talking about CANS here...

depositphotos_4415794-Bikini-Fashion-Model.jpg

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    1 - To the OP, there is no such thing as a “quiet” 5.56 can. They are all absurdly loud. If you think otherwise, you will be very disappointed at the end of your wait.

2 – I have never been able to hear a difference between any name brand 5.56 can. I’m sure a Db meter can tell the difference, but to me, it’s all painfully loud.

3 – Given the foregoing, weight was my largest consideration in deciding on a 5.56 can. I went to a store fully prepared to buy the Saker they had in stock, then I went with a 5.56 Ti Phantom because of the weight. You don’t realize how much of a difference weight makes in the shooting experience until you hang a heavy stainless can off the end of your gun and spend the afternoon shooting... or maybe I just have noodle arms. :o

4 –
    YHM is not "Top Tier". They make a good budget oriented suppressor. Nothing special, nothing bad. Theyre built tough and will last. Great for someone who's not really looking for frills but wants a decent suppressor that does the job.
    There really isn’t a big difference in the performance between M4-2000 (which everyone seems to agree is near the front of the pack) and the 5.56 Phantom. As noted above, I can't hear the difference... but more than that, see the following link for a comparison: http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/...mm)-SOUND-TESTING-on-a-KAC-SR15E3-(16-quot-)?

AAC M4-2000: Muzzle: 134.0 Ear: 143.6
    5.56 Ti Phantom: Muzzle: 135.4 Ear: 143.9

Granted, that’s just one test, but I would not be so quick to write YHM’s 5.56 products off. YHM is also well known for some great customer service. Not so much for AAC... especially recently.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    YHM is also well known for some great customer service. Not so much for AAC... especially recently.

This is true. Both for YHM and AAC. AAC's CS has gone downhill over the last few years. Atleast thats whats being reported. My experience with YHM in the past has been great.

For the best CS in the business, no questions asked, Silencerco/SWR takes the cake.

As for YHM's Ti suppressors. Theyre great. The main complaint I have about their standard 5.56 Phantom is the weight. Granted its built like a tank. But it weighs way to much. The Ti line fixes this issue. The only downside to their Ti suppressors is their "Limited" full-auto capability. But, not many of us can afford full-auto anyways so thats not a big deal.

And dont think Im bashing YHM's supprressors. Im not. I just think there are better options when "Money is not a concern". And when it comes down to it, there are other manufacturers using longer lasting materials. Like Silencerco/SWR's unnamed "Unicorn" alloy. Which in testing has proven itself to be 30% stronger than Inconel, the industry standard. Silencerco/SWR has also made huge improvements when it comes to the mounting versatility of their rifle suppressors. These are things YHM doesnt have. Again, Im not bashing them, but their are better options out there.

Trust me, if I didnt like YHM I wouldnt have spent some cash on this and waited 9 months for it, lol:

YHM Factory 5.5" 9mm SBR
    IMAG0293.jpg

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Haha, HT4 and Flipz are proving my point! There is no clear winner for best can.

For me I was looking a lot at the way they are mounted. I want a Flashhider type adaptor like YHM and AAC have. I really don't care for AACs three prong design. Did the M16 not prove that a bad idea in Vietnam? I just don't get that design. While I may never be in that type of environment... I don't care I want a smart design! Why does the saker55 have a flash hider front? Did the can not do the job? Also important to me is FA capability. Mine will be shot and likely shot most often in FA. So it must be big enough to handle the volume of fire without blowing it all back in my face. My ultimate goal would be to have it on a 12" barrel on a Shrike on a M16. So that belt fed 223. So it must be able to handle that or I am not interested.

So I would suggest you go to each of the major brand names and review their 556 cans. See what you like and don't and then look up reviews on them. You will hear lots on weight, sound, personal opinions...etc. Then just flip a coin and pick one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And just to get all abstract on you, if the sole criteria is "quietest" , and mfg or individual could build somthing 4in in dia , and 2 feet long just for the massive expansion ratio. Heck as long as we're being impractical 3 feet. At that point we're already at the point any gas noise being well less than sonic crack or action noise (if any).

If you really meant " way darn quiet, while being of quasi-practical size & wt " , you are back to usual suspects of top and upper mid tier prooducts , and debating your personal calculus of size , wt , $ , durability , and ease of attachment.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I really don't care for AACs three prong design. Did the M16 not prove that a bad idea in Vietnam? I just don't get that design.

Why does the saker55 have a flash hider front? Did the can not do the job?

Youre a real "Glass is half empty" kinda guy, ha? J/K, lol.

The three prong flashider design is extremely effective. Thats why companies like AAC & Silencerco/SWR still use it. I have plenty of experience with Silencerco's TrifectaRS flashider and it does an amazing job at suppressing flash. Plus, because of the way it was designed, there is no PING. AAC's three prong flashider is another story when it comes to the ping. Its incredibly annoying.

The Saker556 has replaceable endcaps. The standard endcap that comes with it is flush, no prongs. The 3 prong, optional, endcap can be added or removed at any time. Its an option, and one that is said to serve very well for full-auto shooting. Believe it or not, suppressors dont always completely suppress flash, especially on full-auto. And Silencerco isnt the only company to implement a flashider or brake to their suppressor endcap design. Barrett has a brake on the end of one of their 50cal suppressors.

My Saker556, with flush endcap, on my 10.5" upper:
    IMAG0421.jpg

Barrett 50cal suppressor:
    Barrett-M107A1-featurest.jpg

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I dont have a 556 can, but do have a 22 can. It's a Spectre II and is very quiet. As others have said there are many variables. I have several hosts that I use it on. It works very well on all, but the bolt action with subsonic rounds is scary quiet.
    I have shot with cans on 556 and 308, while the noise is reduced, large caliber weapons WILL NOT be movie quiet. You might still need hearing protection on with them.
    All in all, I love shooting my 22's suppressed so much, I got another can in the ATF black hole.
    Go talk to one of the IP's. I don't know where you are, but Duffy's, 2A, Engage, etc are excellent resources. Oh and prepare to wait for the birth of your can.....

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The three prong flashider design is extremely effective....prong flashider is another story when it comes to the ping. Its incredibly annoying.

Its also very effective in "catching" things... While I plan to rarely if ever use it off the range, I would want to be sure I could do so without trouble. It just seems like a bad idea to me, the military moved away from it for a reason.

The Saker556 has replaceable endcaps. The standard endcap that comes with it is flush, no prongs. The 3 prong, optional, endcap can be added or removed at any time. Its an option, and one that is said to serve very well for full-auto shooting. Believe it or not, suppressors dont always completely suppress flash, especially on full-auto. And Silencerco isnt the only comapny to implement a three prong endcap to their suppressor design, Barrett does the same thing for some of their 50cal suppressors.

Yes I did see it was an option but its hard to believe its actually useful. If you have anymore info on that, I would be interested to read more on the subject. Its just hard to see a small prongs sticking out of the front of the can actually helping? It looks to me like the 50 Caliber cans have a Muzzle brake not a flash hider. Of course a Muzzle brake is there to help with recoil not flash... do you have a picture of the FH version?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Its also very effective in "catching" things... While I plan to rarely if ever use it off the range, I would want to be sure I could do so without trouble. It just seems like a bad idea to me, the military moved away from it for a reason.

Yes I did see it was an option but its hard to believe its actually useful. If you have anymore info on that, I would be interested to read more on the subject. Its just hard to see a small prongs sticking out of the front of the can actually helping? It looks to me like the 50 Caliber cans have a Muzzle brake not a flash hider. Of course a Muzzle brake is there to help with recoil not flash... do you have a picture of the FH version?

What do you mean by "catching" things? I know a lot of guys in Nam caught crabs or some other STD, but I didnt think it was the flashider's fault. I thought it was the hot asian women. J/K, lol. Im pretty sure youre talking about possible snagging. And if so, thats a possibility. I wont argue that.

But just because the military moved away from something doesnt mean it was the right choice...... I think we all know that. Getting rid of the 1911 (bad decision), and then years later coming back to it (good decision). Choosing the M9 over the P226, claiming the M16 was self cleaning and not even issuing cleaning kits, changing the type of powder used in the orginal 5.56mm rounds from extruded to ball which immediately caused the famous jamming issues, etc.....

And you are correct about the Barrett suppressor having a brake. I went from memory on what it looked like and corrected my post after looking up a pic. But the premise is the same. The brake is there because theres still gas escaping out of the end of the suppressor. Same thing happens with 5.56 cans. In fact, the same thing happens with all cans. Its just more common on higher pressure rounds. If the scenario is right, that gas can ignite when it hits oxygen. This is much more likely when fired full-auto because not all the gas can be held for long enough inside the suppressor. This causes flammable gas to escape and will sometimes result in a flash. It also happens when a suppressor has sat for a couple minutes and oxygen has been able to work its way back into the baffles. Just like FRP, there can be FRF (First Round Flash). Silencerco actually has a "Flash Test" video that was made with their Osprey45 that shows this. Each first shot (one with G21, the other with G23, both using an Osprey45) had a visible flash come out of the suppressor. You gotta pay attention and look closely to see it but its there.

Silencerco Osprey45 Flash Test:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFVx871pg1o

The truth of it is that the three prong endcap for the Saker556 isnt out yet. BUT, Ive spoken with a few employees over at Silencerco and their testing with it has proven its validity. More info will come when they are released. Personally I wont be getting one. But thats only because I dont shoot full-auto, which is really what its for.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    What do you mean by "catching" things? ...STD, ...hot asian women. J/K, lol. Im pretty sure youre talking about possible snagging. And if so, thats a possibility. I wont argue that.

Haha, yeah snagging.

But just because the military moved away from something doesnt mean it was the right choice......

True but overall they usually get things right.

I think we all know that. Getting rid of the 1911 (bad decision), and then years later coming back to it (good decision).

That was not a military decision... Politics demanded that they allow women in and the 1911 is a man's gun. So it had to go. Of course the poodle shooter (M16) was ok...

Choosing the M9 over the P226,

That was a money issue and Frankly I see nothing wrong with the M9. I think its fine gun. Frankly I don't see the P226 being so much better. There are things about each I like and don't.

claiming the M16 was self cleaning a...used the famous jamming issues, etc.....

Again the military brass fought the M16. I am fairly sure you can blame their stalling the project and then McNamara response for that problem.

"And you are correct about the Barrett having a brake. ...The brake is there because theres still gas escaping out of the end of the suppressor. ....can ignite when it hits oxygen. This is much more likely when fired full-auto because not all the gas can be held for long enough inside the suppressor. This causes flammable gas to escape and will sometimes result in a flash.

Yeah BUT does it actually happen? It should not be very hard to tell! Get a M16 with a short barrel and shoot the crap out of it and wait for a flash. I will bet its not going to happen. I could be wrong but I think this is a "looking cool" type thing and not a real problem fixer.

The truth of it is that the three prong endcap for the Saker556 isnt out yet. BUT, Ive spoken with a few employees over at Silencerco and their testing with it has proven its validity. More info will come when they are released. Personally I wont be getting one. But thats only because I dont shoot full-auto, which is really what its for.

Well if you see more on it, please post it! I would love to see their results and will keep an open mind on the subject. The real question is why you don't shoot FA? That is not hard to fix! I would not trade one of my FA guns for all the cans in the world! However Cans are interesting on MGs.

I think I see a lot of products in the AR15 group of items that are designed to look cool rather than being truly functional. AR15 people tend to be more worried about appearance than most other guns out there. I mean how many guns play dress up with their tan plastic...etc. Its like girls picking out what to wear every morning. You see any deserts around here? Anyway it carries over and I think a lot of this stuff is made to look cool and little more. How many parts have ribs or flutes or holes all over them? If you had to clean that bitch all the time you would not want that! How many people have cheap optics on expensive quad rails? Doesn't matter as they just wanted a tactical look. Anyway, I could go on but I think a lot of what is driving the AR15 market has more to do with a beauty contest...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Yeah BUT does it actually happen? It should not be very hard to tell! Get a M16 with a short barrel and shoot the crap out of it and wait for a flash. I will bet its not going to happen. I could be wrong but I think this is a "looking cool" type thing and not a real problem fixer.

Well if you see more on it, please post it! I would love to see their results and will keep an open mind on the subject.

I think I see a lot of products in the AR15 group of items that are designed to look cool rather than being truly functional.
    It does happen. Watch the vid I posted a link to and watch closely. There are also a few vids out there showing this on 5.56 suppressors.

When I have more info on it I'll post it.

I agree. There's tons of CRAP ou there for the AR platform. 99% of it is useless cosmetic BS.

BUT, one company I have full faith in is Silencerco/SWR. If you look at their product line they have made huge improvements over traditional design. I cant think of one thing theyve done that doesnt prove its own validity. They dont do things for show, they do them because they really do make the product better and more functional.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I have a Silencerco Sparrow. I love the ease of cleaning. When I used the sub-sub-sonic CCIs, I discovered that they wouldn't operate the bolts on my 10/22 or 22/45. I need at least 1030 fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom