• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MBar308

Apr 19, 2014
    I'm not crazy about the feel of an "assault rifle". However, I would like to get a rifle in the .223/5.56 caliber. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a hunter style semi auto that utilizes AR mags. Basically a ranch rifle/mini 14 that takes AR mags. I know Mossberg makes a bolt and Remington makes a pump that use AR mags, but as far as I know there are no s/a rifles other than a Keltec SU-16 and Saiga Sporter 5.56 (with an adapter). Are there any other options out there?

I like the saiga sporter, but I'm pretty sure that they can no longer be purchased in MD due to being an ak variant.

Last edited:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Modern AR-15's aren't assault rifles, unless you're spending the $15,000+ for a transferable select-fire gun.

Thus, the best option for your needs would in fact be an AR-15, since it's not an assault rifle.

MBar308

Apr 19, 2014
    I guess I used that term too loosely.

What I was suggesting was a 5.56 sks/mini 14 that accepts ar mags.

I guess I'm asking too much.

I'm just more accustomed to hunting rifles and thought it would be cool to have one that was compatible with ar mags.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Beretta made a MR1 or RX4 (they changed the name along the way). That may work for you, bit hard to find now though.

Really, I would get the AR. Remington makes a good one set up for hunting which I like but there are many others that will do well.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Wasn't there a thread on here about something similar to this coming out soon? Looked like it took a standard upper and had a modified lower with no pistol grip and a Monte carlo looking stock on it?

MBar308

Apr 19, 2014
    I'm on board with you Russ.

I like both, but unfortunately, as you said, they are no longer available to us.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Winner!

Can't find the thread but that's what I was thinking of, uses standard AR uppers and lower parts, same bolt, shorter bolt carrier with a rod on the end that pivots down into the stock. Similar to FAL carrier?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option #1 - Get a Mini-14 , and squint when you look at the magazines.

Option #2 - Get an AR-15 . Several flavors are marketed specifically for hunting , notably Remington and Mossberg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom