• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    After a bit over six months waiting for the MSP to not disqualify me, and several weeks of not being able to get to the range, I finally got up to Hap Baker today to try out my new PTR-91.

After months of reading about it, I was ready for 12 gauge slug recoil, but honestly it was pretty soft shooting off of sand bags. It only kicked a little harder than my AR15, though the recoil may be more noticeable off hand.

It seems mechanically very accurate, but the sights need adjustment, as it was shooting 5" low at 25 yards. I have snap ring pliers that work perfectly as a drum sight adjustment tool. When I got home, I found out that the rear sight was bottemed (topped?) out. There's plenty of adjustment room to zero it out.

All in all I'm very excited about my 2nd to last screw O'Malley purchase. 20140416_202734_LLS.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The recoil on my PTR is also nothing. The M1 & M1A are FAR worse. Im not sure why some folks complain so much. Maybe a bad buffer?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I can't wait to try mine out too. I had IGF weld a rail on top and convert to a paddle mag.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of optic I want to put on it.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    Eventually I want to get mine converted to a paddle mag release and have a top rail welded on.

Does anybody out there have an opinion on what's the best lower receiver to get converted to a paddle release? Should I get a steel lower, or is the polymer receiver that it came with good to go for the paddle release conversion? Or does it even matter?

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Eventually I want to get mine converted to a paddle mag release and have a top rail welded on.

Does anybody out there have an opinion on what's the best lower receiver to get converted to a paddle release? Should I get a steel lower, or is the polymer receiver that it came with good to go for the paddle release conversion? Or does it even matter?

The upper receiver is what get's modified to accept a paddle magazine release. As for the lower:

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...INNED-LOWER-PARKERIZED-FOR-CLONES-40p3007.htm

This should work fine just add the OD green grip.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    The upper receiver is what get's modified to accept a paddle magazine release. As for the lower:

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...INNED-LOWER-PARKERIZED-FOR-CLONES-40p3007.htm

This should work fine just add the OD green grip.

Oh wow, that's really good to know. So I get the upper modded, and I can stick whatever lower on I want to depending on my mood? That's awesome, because I wanted to do a wood stock build as well. I love being able to kill me multiple birds with one stone. (in my mind, the wood stocks go better with the steel lowers, but I also like some of the other stock options... so not being tied down to anything with the paddle mod is awesome for me.)

Last edited:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My PTR91 GI. I added wide hand guards, MFI rail, park metal lower, and duracoated the stock and handguards OD green to match.

Little recoil. 8.5 lbs trigger. Great fun to shoot.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
      DSC_0076.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 158

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Oh wow, that's really good to know. So I get the upper modded, and I can stick whatever lower on I want to depending on my mood? That's awesome, because I wanted to do a wood stock build as well. I love being able to kill me multiple birds with one stone. (in my mind, the wood stocks go better with the steel lowers, but I also like some of the other stock options... so not being tied down to anything with the paddle mod is awesome for me.)

It's not that simple. I've been into HK's for many years. Often, especially with non HK built rifles and parts, lowers take anywhere from zero to significant fitting for reliable operation. There are many shelf geometries and this affects how parts mate up. Part of what makes true HK's so legendary is the fact that they engineered and fitted parts to extremely exacting tolerances which guaranteed near 100% interchangeability between factory original and replacement parts. That has not been the case with most other manufacturers, especially American ones.

My trusty ol' HK91:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom