• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caviman2201

Mar 19, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    Quick question about this that I can't seem to find in searching. When the state mandates a 7-day waiting period for regulated firearms, do they mean you have to wait 168hrs (7x24h) from the time you purchased it, meaning legally if you purchased at, say, noon on a Friday, you could pick up at 12:01pm on the following Friday? ... or do they mean you have to wait 7 full days 12AM-11:59PM starting the day after purchase?

I only ask because I bought my gun at a dealer this past Friday at 5pm and they're open until 7pm tonight, but they say I still have to wait until tomorrow to pick up. The paperwork is in and good. They say pickup on the 8th day is the earliest legal pickup date. I'm not trying to cause problems for them - just trying to understand the law. I've also seen some people post on here that they picked up their gun exactly 1 week after the day they bought it - buy on Wed, pick up following Wed.

Thanks in advance.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Many dealers will not let you pick up until day eight, to cover their ass. I don't know if there is an answer to your question. Maryland is intentionally vague.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Its up to the dealer. I went through this debate just recently I emailed MSP and they were no help, saying its up to the FFL. FWIW both FFLs that I dealt with released the same day of the week. Tuesday to Tuesday and Friday to Friday....regardless of the time of day.
    What it comes down to is whether they count the day you fill out paperwork as day 1. Friday to Friday is 8 days if you count the first day.

caviman2201

Mar 19, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks, guys. Gotta love how so much of the law is "up to the FFL" or "up to MDSP"... wth kind of law is that?

SMDH...

For my reference, protegeV, the FFLs that you deal with who released same day of the week, are they storefronts or individuals?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks, guys. Gotta love how so much of the law is "up to the FFL" or "up to MDSP"... wth kind of law is that?

SMDH...

For my reference, protegeV, the FFLs that you deal with who released same day of the week, are they storefronts or individuals?

It's a 7 day wait, which can also be said they release on the 8th day, so the day they submit the app is day one. Again it's up to the FFL. Some will say 10 days or whatever, some will say 7 business days, each is different, but the earliest is on the eighth day (you can buy Friday night, pick up the following Friday in the AM). My FFL was doing a longer wait, but there were some issues and I was allowed to come in "early" and get it on the 8th day instead of waiting 10 or whatever. That was a storefront.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow.. can't wait a day longer..

Lucky you didnt buy one before 10-1 of last year... you could be waiting for months. Lol

caviman2201

Mar 19, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    Wow.. can't wait a day longer..

Lucky you didnt buy one before 10-1 of last year... you could be waiting for months. Lol

I didn't say I couldn't wait a day longer... in fact I specifically said I'm not trying to cause problems, but trying to understand the law.

I personally think forcing the 7-day wait and performing another background check 1 week after I got my HQL which took a month and during the process of which they performed the exact same background check is completely pointless. I haven't waited 7 days - I've waited well over 2 months from the time I decided what I wanted back in February to the time I could line up the class, get fingerprinted, submit my HQL app, wait for it to get approved, wait for the card to come in, find what I wanted in stock and then the 7-day waiting period after purchase.

I am not going in there raising hell - I didn't even question them on the phone when they told me to come in tomorrow. I was simply stating that I'd seen others (see the post above you) who were able to pick up on the same day of the week a week later from the day they purchased. I live near Baltimore and bought the gun in Annapolis. Picking it up on Friday evening on my way home from work would be preferable to driving back down there on a Saturday.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I didn't say I couldn't wait a day longer... in fact I specifically said I'm not trying to cause problems, but trying to understand the law.

I personally think forcing the 7-day wait and performing another background check 1 week after I got my HQL which took a month and during the process of which they performed the exact same background check is completely pointless. I haven't waited 7 days - I've waited well over 2 months from the time I decided what I wanted back in February to the time I could line up the class, get fingerprinted, submit my HQL app, wait for it to get approved, wait for the card to come in, find what I wanted in stock and then the 7-day waiting period after purchase.

I am not going in there raising hell - I didn't even question them on the phone when they told me to come in tomorrow. I was simply stating that I'd seen others (see the post above you) who were able to pick up on the same day of the week a week later from the day they purchased. I live near Baltimore and bought the gun in Annapolis. Picking it up on Friday evening on my way home from work would be preferable to driving back down there on a Saturday.

Welcome to merryliztan Comrad.. ;)

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013

The wait is even more pointless when you already own several other guns.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Quick question about this that I can't seem to find in searching. When the state mandates a 7-day waiting period for regulated firearms, do they mean you have to wait 168hrs (7x24h) from the time you purchased it, meaning legally if you purchased at, say, noon on a Friday, you could pick up at 12:01pm on the following Friday? ... or do they mean you have to wait 7 full days 12AM-11:59PM starting the day after purchase?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the clock is considered to start when the paperwork is received by the MSP Licensing Division not when the cash register rings. The MSP has seven days to process and reply to the FFL (we all know how well that works) but can't start processing until they receive the application. Some FFL's FAX all applications at the end of the day rather than as each is sold during the day. But I have been wrong before.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I believe the clock is considered to start when the paperwork is received by the MSP Licensing Division not when the cash register rings. The MSP has seven days to process and reply to the FFL (we all know how well that works) but can't start processing until they receive the application. Some FFL's FAX all applications at the end of the day rather than as each is sold during the day. But I have been wrong before.

That used to be the case, faxing at days end, but now that each application must be sent in separately, one at a time, many FFLs are sending them as soon as they are filled out so as not to get jammed up over a fax machine after work.

Can you imagine the cluster if FFLs were required to do that during the panic!?!?!

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    The wait is even more pointless when you already own several other guns.

And even more pointless when you have a carry permit and buy a new gun while you have a gun on your hip but still need to wait the 7 days!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

wessonsmith

Apr 10, 2014
    varies
    And even more pointless when you have a carry permit and buy a new gun while you have a gun on your hip but still need to wait the 7 days!

I was filing out my paperwork with my gun on my hip thinking exactly the same thing.

The gun laws passed and regulations updated are the sates way of tricking the uninformed into believe they are doing SOMETHING to make them safer.:sad20:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I was filing out my paperwork with my gun on my hip thinking exactly the same thing.

The gun laws passed and regulations updated are the sates way of tricking the uninformed into believe they are doing SOMETHING to make them safer.:sad20:

Isn't that whatbmpst laws do, trick the uninformed? :mad54:

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

I only ask because I bought my gun at a dealer this past Friday at 5pm and they're open until 7pm tonight, but they say I still have to wait until tomorrow to pick up. The paperwork is in and good. They say pickup on the 8th day is the earliest legal pickup date. I'm not trying to cause problems for them - just trying to understand the law. I've also seen some people post on here that they picked up their gun exactly 1 week after the day they bought it - buy on Wed, pick up following Wed.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, it's been a while since I looked at the statute, but if my memory serves, they can actually release as early as day 5 if they receive the ND from MSP by then.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

NO NO NO, don't you get it???? They are afraid in a fit of rage you will buy a new gun and then go out and shoot the person you are angry with with two hands at the same time. The ole' double draw down. Makes perfect since to make you just keep the one gun and wait 7 days to cool down before you get another.:sad20:

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    NO NO NO, don't you get it???? They are afraid in a fit of rage you will buy a new gun and then go out and shoot the person you are angry with with two hands at the same time. The ole' double draw down. Makes perfect since to make you just keep the one gun and wait 7 days to cool down before you get another.:sad20:

I think that was half the idea. Other half was to give MSP time to check their records for disqualifying events that aren't reported to NICS. Like what? I'm assuming petty convictions or health/safety flags. Someone can fill in the gaps of exactly what they were checking.

My impression is that generally, if you're a recent or regular customer, 8 day is the soonest you'll see your regulated purchase. It gives them a bit of a CYA since you've had some kind of NICS search done on you in the past on the likelihood MSP is still taking too long with their 77r check (backlog still bad?).

Personally it's a nuisance but a minor one on the list of things to work on. speaking of which, isn't there a federal 5 day waiting period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom