• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    We have an ancient (c. 1954??) Am. Standard furnace, that as of today isn't furning. Always been super reliable.

Good pilot, but there is no gas flowing to the burners.

Thought it might be a bad electrical connection, but all terminals seem solid.

I am not messing with it beyond that.

Not in a position right now to look at a complete replacement if I can avoid it, so I'm hoping it's just a regulator or electronics, something simple.

We're good with electric space heaters for now, but is there anyone here who can make some time to come check it out?

I'm shutting everything off at this point, even though I'm confident there won't be a gas venting issue.

TIA!!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thermocouple. Cheap to replace and can cause the problem you are having.

What kind of thermostat, old school round one?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Could I talk you into temporarily connecting together the red and white wires that connect to the thermostat and see if that fires it up?

Whats the worst that can happen?

:sick1:

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Good pilot,

Thermocouple

Probably not the thermocouple if you have a good pilot. Have you been using he system recently? Could the gas valve be in the "pilot" position instead of the "on" position.

If you have a round style (mercury switch) thermostat on the wall, pull the cover off and move the thermostat to coldest. Slowly turn the dial to warmer and watch the mecury roll to the contacts. There should be a small spark in the mercury when th contact is made. That will tell you that there is power to the thermostat, that the wiring should be ok and it should be calling for heat.

Edit; I see you shut it off. Never mind

Mr H

Banana'd
    Probably not the thermocouple if you have a good pilot. Have you been using he system recently? Could the gas valve be in the "pilot" position instead of the "on" position.

If you have a round style (mercury switch) thermostat on the wall, pull the cover off and move the thermostat to coldest. Slowly turn the dial to warmer and watch the mecury roll to the contacts. There should be a small spark in the mercury when th contact is made. That will tell you that there is power to the thermostat, that the wiring should be ok and it should be calling for heat.

Edit; I see you shut it off. Never mind

None of the above.

Been running like a champ since bringing it back on line a few weeks ago.

Thermostat is a timer/schedule type that says it is signalling the system on, but nothing.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There were some funky Baso (later Penn-Baso) brand control/safety units back in the 50's (& earlier) that had integrated transformers (and stupid voltages used with their re-light glow coils (even more trivia, Carrier used the same glow coils on 24 volts with dropping resistor wire that a lot of guys did not realize was special wire)).

At the very most you would have to upgrade to a new Johnson or Honeywell safety with spark re-light & flame rectification flame proof and a new transformer. There are even pre-packaged kits for upgrade jobs like this.

Don't let them sell you a new furnace because THEY don't know how to install these parts.

Mr H

Banana'd
    These are things I needed to hear 3 days ago!!

LOL!

We're good. The repair would have cost well north of 10% of a new complete unit, and we were already scheduled to replace it this coming summer.

I was just hoping it was as simple as a bad wire or relay, or something. The transformer appears to have taken other things with it, so even getting a replacement may not be enough, so we're good with this.

It was just a matter of when, not if, it would need to be replaced.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The efficiency improvement between 1954 and 2014 will soon pay you back, you haven't lost any ground in the long run.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    Stay away from B&B and frederick air

both are super rip-offs

don't get me started...

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    These are things I needed to hear 3 days ago!!

LOL!

We're good. The repair would have cost well north of 10% of a new complete unit, and we were already scheduled to replace it this coming summer.

I was just hoping it was as simple as a bad wire or relay, or something. The transformer appears to have taken other things with it, so even getting a replacement may not be enough, so we're good with this.

It was just a matter of when, not if, it would need to be replaced.

The day after you put a new furnace in, it isn't a matter of if you are going to replace it, only when.

We had this disaster ourselves after buying this house. Furnace sucked and the AC was shot. It was a pretty expensive first two years here.

I agree with the fact that the efficiency gains will pay for the new furnace in no time. I think you will end up being surprised at your new utility bills. I know I was after we put in a new AC unit this past summer. Had been using window/portable AC units and the difference was night and day. Not only was the house way cooler, but the utility bill was about 50% of what I was used to seeing during the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom