• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am looking at getting a Remington 700 AAC SD in 308. I would like to get a good scope for it but not sure the size. What variable or magnification should I be looking at.

Feature wise I would like it to have open knob turrets for adjusting windage and elevation.

Not wanting to spend too much, stay under $1K hopefully, but want something that will optimize the se of the 308 round.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, distance or at least max magnification is kind of key to giving you a suggestion.

BDC or no BDC?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yeah, distance or at least max magnification is kind of key to giving you a suggestion.

BDC or no BDC?

BDC is a gimmick.

The parameters built into a BDC scope can only be used with one set of ballistics based one particular cartridge.

Change anything about the cartridge and the BDC is worthless. Powder charge, bullet weight, bullet shape, velocity, etc.

Without knowing what exact cartridge the scope was designed around, best to avoid BDC.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Have had Leupold, Nixon and Vortex. For the money and quality, like Vortex. :lol:

I have a Vortex Prism scope and I am not too happy with it. I have a couple of Burris Prism Scopes and like those. But, those are for other AR uppers. This would be for a Remington 700 AAC SD.

I am looking for what Power range I should consider taking into account the distance and general cartridge I would be using (308 at 100-300yds)

Dave

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    BDC is a gimmick.
    So, basically, you know nothing about how to effectively use BDC, so BDC sucks. The problem is not BDC, it's your own ignorance.

You just need a dope card for your load... you know, like all the mil guys use. I can plug a load and a reticle into Strelok Pro, and I can tell you where those BDC marks go for pretty much anything.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Vortex is a great option but remember that have scopes of different qualities - Viper, Diamondback, etc.

Sightron has had good reviews too. I've looked through them but never actually use one. The only person I know that has one swears by it.

aethyr

May 19, 2011
    Middle River, MD
    I have the above proposed setup, its wonderful!

badger ordnance 20moa rail and rings

I am eyeing up the magpul stock, I sure would like to use box mags.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So, basically, you know nothing about how to effectively use BDC, so BDC sucks. The problem is not BDC, it's your own ignorance.

You just need a dope card for your load... you know, like all the mil guys use. I can plug a load and a reticle into Strelok Pro, and I can tell you where those BDC marks go for pretty much anything.

My ignorance aside.

If the BDC marks within the scope are fixed points, how are different cartridges going to work?

Within the scope, the drop from 100 yards to 200 is a fixed amount. So you're saying the same scope will produce the same drop in inches regardless of cartridge used?

To use an extreme comparison, is a 405 grain 45-70 going 1,300 fps the same as a 60 grain 243 going 3,800 fps? Of course it's not. And that's the point I'm trying to make. Guys are buying these things and sticking them on all caliber of firearms.

And when you say: Dope card for "Your" load, you're making my point. A scope can only be set-up for "Your" load. A load. One load. Change the load and the dope card goes out the window.

If a BDC scope is set-up for 7.62 NATO or 5.56 NATO, I can see the BDC working. But most guys are going to try and find the best cartridge for their particular rifle. At which point it's set it and forget it. And the BDC will never get used.

As for your computer programs, I'm sure that can work too. But only one guy in 5,000 is going to be using that kind of equipment. And they won't be carrying dope cards.

All I'm saying is BDC is being sold by every scope maker now. Because it sounds cool. Another catchy trio of alphabets. But 97.3% of shooters will never utilize the technology.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    My ignorance aside.

If the BDC marks within the scope are fixed points, how are different cartridges going to work?

Within the scope, the drop from 100 yards to 200 is a fixed amount. So you're saying the same scope will produce the same drop in inches regardless of cartridge used?

To use an extreme comparison, is a 405 grain 45-70 going 1,300 fps the same as a 60 grain 243 going 3,800 fps? Of course it's not. And that's the point I'm trying to make. Guys are buying these things and sticking them on all caliber of firearms.

And when you say: Dope card for "Your" load, you're making my point. A scope can only be set-up for "Your" load. A load. One load. Change the load and the dope card goes out the window.

If a BDC scope is set-up for 7.62 NATO or 5.56 NATO, I can see the BDC working. But most guys are going to try and find the best cartridge for their particular rifle. At which point it's set it and forget it. And the BDC will never get used.

As for your computer programs, I'm sure that can work too. But only one guy in 5,000 is going to be using that kind of equipment. And they won't be carrying dope cards.

All I'm saying is BDC is being sold by every scope maker now. Because it sounds cool. Another catchy trio of alphabets. But 97.3% of shooters will never utilize the technology.

BDC works on the premise that the marks may be fixed, but as you change the power of the zoom, the actual distance at the target for each mark changes. Most manufacturers have simple programs on their websites or even phone apps where you can enter your load data and it will tell you at what distance each mark will hit at a particular zoom power, or it can tell you at what zoom to set so that each mark will be as close as possible to being at 100, 200, 300, etc.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is the BDC idea similar to having a custom turret made for a non-BDC scope?

Would love some articles or info on trajectories related to scopes (FFP) and the like!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Because I know where those fixed points are in the reticle, and therefore can calculate how my load behaves with them at a particular zero.

Within the scope, the drop from 100 yards to 200 is a fixed amount.
    This is the key mistake you're making. There are marks on the scope that, for example, will basically line up to 100m and 200m with a 50m zero when using M855. That does not make the marks useless with a different load, but I do need to understand what those marks mean with that load. What you also seem to not grasp is that this is simple math, and basically a solved problem. In fact, it is not even a problem too dissimilar from figuring out those mil markings.

So you're saying the same scope will produce the same drop in inches regardless of cartridge used?
    Duh, of course not.

This is the SAME EXACT SITUATION FOR NON-BDC scopes. Vanishingly few people with mil scopes are doing all the math in their head in the real world. Pretty much everyone uses a dope card, which is load-specific.

It's a $5 program on an Android phone. It's not high technology. You can pre-program it for anything you're shooting, too.

99% of shooters will never be able to use mil properly without assistance, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    So, would a 6-24x or an 8-32x around 50mm be a good type to look for? Or something bigger? This is for 100-300yd range for 308 cartridge.

Dave

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to extrapolate a little on what I posted above. Unless you're shooting competition bench rest, where you're trying to shoot 0.1" groups at 200 yards, you aren't going to need a high-power scope. For man sized targets, the general rule of thumb is 1x per 100 yards.

Just an FYI, I use a 2-8x scope on my SPR. I don't have problems ringing steel at 500 yards with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom