• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    What does any of this have to do with the Licensing Division? The Firearms Division is responsible for this stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    What does any of this have to do with the Licensing Division? The Firearms Division is responsible for this stuff. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Just trying straighten out unit names here . The Licensing Division Firearms Registration Section is the best source for a citizen to determine if a firearm is regulated or banned. Usually through a dozen or so unanswered phone calls and two or three emails. Because if they find out from the Criminal Investigation Division Firearms Enforcement Section, it usually is accompanied by a SWAT team.

The two Divisions below fall under separate commands.
    I) Licensing Division (Pikesville)
    A. Firearms Registration Section
    B. Handgun Qualification Section
    C. Handgun Permit Section
    D. Security Guard Section
    E. Private Detective, Special Police and Alarms
    F. K9 Licensing

II) Criminal Investigation Division (Columbia)
    A. Firearms Enforcement Section
    B. Maryland Gun Center
    C. Homicide Unit
    D. Polygraph
    E. Computer Crimes
    F. Maryland Center for Missing Children
    G. Gang Unit
    H. Drug Units
    I. Fugitive Apprehension Teams
    J. Extradition Unit
    K. Murder for Hire Investigations
    L. Technical Surveillance Unit
    M. Attorney Generals Office Investigators

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think there is a need for a thread on this forum or even a page at MSI's website where some knowledgeable people could put together a Maryland Guns "Play Book" or "Program" to help the gun owners/users/dealers tell just what's what and who's who.

Things like just which offices/departments/divisions are involved with firearms and how they fit in to the Maryland Government. Things like who's in charge and who do they report to, are the people employees or appointees, what are their responsibilities and mission. In addition, a directory of key players would be helpful including the same or similar information previously mentioned along with contact information phone ,email, and address. People like Ms. Street, Mr. Neverdon, the regular from MSP who's name escapes me, etc.

There is a lot of confusion on our form at least as to who does what. A blue print of how things are interconnected and how things flow would help people and might just point out some road blocks or conflicts of interest.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I think there is a need for a thread on this forum or even a page at MSI's website where some knowledgeable people could put together a Maryland Guns "Play Book" or "Program" to help the gun owners/users/dealers tell just what's what and who's who.

Things like just which offices/departments/divisions are involved with firearms and how they fit in to the Maryland Government. Things like who's in charge and who do they report to, are the people employees or appointees, what are their responsibilities and mission. In addition, a directory of key players would be helpful including the same or similar information previously mentioned along with contact information phone ,email, and address. People like Ms. Street, Mr. Neverdon, the regular from MSP who's name escapes me, etc.

There is a lot of confusion on our form at least as to who does what. A blue print of how things are interconnected and how things flow would help people and might just point out some road blocks or conflicts of interest.

That would be a good wiki item, IMO.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just trying straighten out unit names here . The Licensing Division Firearms Registration Section is the best source for a citizen to determine if a firearm is regulated or banned. Usually through a dozen or so unanswered phone calls and two or three emails. Because if they find out from the Criminal Investigation Division Firearms Enforcement Section, it usually is accompanied by a SWAT team.

[snip]

While I agree with the above for handguns, because authority for the Handgun Roster Board is provided for is state statute, as well as COMAR. No where in either state statute or COMAR is there any authority for the MSP Firearms Division to determine what is and isn't a copy of a named banned firearm, nor what is or isn't a copycat firearm.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

wiki.marylandshallissue.org

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wow! That was quick.:D
    Very good place for it and I hope it will grow.

Yep, it was a great idea, and several of us have been working on it. Need more 'analytical types' to help out.

Jack- I don't see an Internal Affairs or Inspector General on that list. Does the Attorney General's office do that or is there a different office all together?

Thx!

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Did I miss it in the first few pages of posts, is this the guy who would begin hare of getting rid of the OAL issue for SBRs?

OAL issue for SBRs has to be done by the legislature, not an MSP division Commander or anyone else in the Executive Branch of Government.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OAL issue for SBRs has to be done by the legislature, not an MSP division Commander or anyone else in the Executive Branch of Government.
    Totally disagree. 100% interpretation issue by the MSP. The law is not clear, and the MSP interpreted it in the way to cause us maximum pain.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Totally disagree. 100% interpretation issue by the MSP.

?? No interpretation by anyone at MSP, it is written into the actual state law.

To change it, it needs to be done in the legislature in the form of a bill to either repeal the OAL requirement or change it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The law says rifle, not SBR.

I see where you are going with this....It would appear that an individual needs to challenge MSP on the issues between Criminal Law Article 4-201(f) and Criminal Law Article 4-301(e)(iii) that gets denied for a rifle with an OAL of less than 26"

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I see where you are going with this....It would appear that an individual needs to challenge MSP on the issues between Criminal Law Article 4-201(f) and Criminal Law Article 4-301(e)(iii) that gets denied for a rifle with an OAL of less than 26"
    Yep. If it were just the text of the law, I would accept that and move on. Like Engage, I don't think it's so cut-and-dry, and it is a reading of the law that doesn't have any real backing (quite the opposite). Again: the new guy could fix this with his pen.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yep. If it were just the text of the law, I would accept that and move on. Like Engage, I don't think it's so cut-and-dry, and it is a reading of the law that doesn't have any real backing (quite the opposite). Again: the new guy could fix this with his pen.

After consulting his boss, who consults the Secretary of State Police, who all probably consult with the MDAG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom