• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Seems that there is not much discussion on Vepr rifles, odd being that I got a 54R a few months back and being that AK as banned and this Vepr is not there would be more discussion.
    Anyone out there like me enjoying some good ole 54R fun?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I don't have a 54R, but the one I shot was wonderful. Likewise, I'm not sure why they're not more popular...especially here where AKs and similar rifles are verboten.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I don't have a 54R, but the one I shot was wonderful. Likewise, I'm not sure why they're not more popular...especially here where AKs and similar rifles are verboten.

I know...its like this forum is entirely based around the water cooler anymore...not sure its even a gun forum anymore.....sigh.:sad20:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's not very active down here during the day. As for the VEPR, when I sold my two AKs three years ago, I gave up on most of the Warsaw Pact stuff. The VEPR shotgun is well liked, though.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I picked one up after shooting Oldcarjunkies, it was such a hoot. :thumbsup:

Haven't got around to shooting mine yet, picked up a scope, but still need a mount. Probably get a texas dogleg.

Plenty of cheap corrosive ammo available, as long as you don't mind cleaning every trip to the range.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I picked one up after shooting Oldcarjunkies, it was such a hoot. :thumbsup:

Haven't got around to shooting mine yet, picked up a scope, but still need a mount. Probably get a texas dogleg.

Plenty of cheap corrosive ammo available, as long as you don't mind cleaning every trip to the range.

Curious what scope did you purchase and for what caliber? Been looking at some of the primary arms. Seem like a good option on a reasonable budget.....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The VEPR 54R is a very nice rifle. I have one that I bought and converted before the ban. I run it with an 8x POSP. It does the job for minute of man at DMR ranges... when you get down to it, 54R is not really a caliber I'd choose for match or sniper use.

I suspect you don't see many of them sold now because they're a bit ugly and ungainly when not converted.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
      IMG_1055.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 427

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    The VEPR 54R is a very nice rifle. I have one that I bought and converted before the ban. I run it with an 8x POSP. It does the job for minute of man at DMR ranges... when you get down to it, 54R is not really a caliber I'd choose for match or sniper use.

I suspect you don't see many of them sold now because they're a bit ugly and ungainly when not converted.

Nice rifle! Is there any difference when mounting handguards between the integrated sights and adjustable sight model Vepr that you are aware of?
    I know there is a whole legal debate about modifying the rifle now but I don't really feel like hashing that out.
    At this point I'd really like a side mount scope and a handguard with some mounting options! Thanks for posting your picture!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Do these mangle brass? While I have some brass from S&B and PP, I could use more for my Czech sniper rifle in 54R.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    The brass from mine doesn't look to bad. I've never reloaded 54R before but have some other .30 in the same size range.
    I purchased my 16" rifle from Atlantic when they had them in stock....

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have a box of 1000 SMKs for this in case I ever find a decent powder for reloading and have the money to pay for it.

What about Varget? I saw a post on a re-loaders forum a while back about using it and I have some around for 308. Don't know how beneficial this would be to the Vepr rifle though. I just like slapping steel.....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What about Varget? I saw a post on a re-loaders forum a while back about using it and I have some around for 308. Don't know how beneficial this would be to the Vepr rifle though. I just like slapping steel.....

I haven't found Varget, locally, since before Sandy Hook. Ordering one pound online is cost prohibitive. I'd prefer to try 3-4 different powders before settling on one for this rifle. I don't own a Vepr, I have a VZ-54/91.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't own a Vepr, I have a VZ-54/91.
    WHOA. Nice rifle, sir.

Handguards, I dunno. I just used whatever SGM handguards were recommended for the VEPR 54R and applied some thermal reflective tape for a heat shield. Bipod is some sorta Winchester / Shooter's Ridge one I bought at Walmart once upon a time, I think. Need a monopod, but I'm cheap.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I like mine well enough. Recoil is brutal. The magazines are kind of bad too. Still hoping, probably in vain, for a double stack steel mag with a 20rd capacity.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    +1 for a better mag for the 54 not a fan of SGM stuff.
    Manticore has a new Vepr HG out but I think its on pre order until Oct 1....might wait for that...dunno....I'm to indecisive....lol

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    +1 for a better mag for the 54 not a fan of SGM stuff.
    Manticore has a new Vepr HG out but I think its on pre order until Oct 1....might wait for that...dunno....I'm to indecisive....lol

I've only found the factory 5 rd and an aftermarket 10 available online, both plastic and both pricey.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The 10rd mags aren't amazing, but they work OK once broken in.

I think everyone is eager for double-stack 10rd and 20rd mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom