• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Tried an EOtech, Burris 5x, and leupold 3x9 on my AR. Decided I like 100+ yd accuracy best. But I don't really know what options are out there. Decent reviews on the nikon p223 and m223. Looking also at the leupold mark 4x12. I'll take any advice you have to offer. Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Tried an EOtech, Burris 5x, and leupold 3x9 on my AR. Decided I like 100+ yd accuracy best. But I don't really know what options are out there. Decent reviews on the nikon p223 and m223. Looking also at the leupold mark 4x12. I'll take any advice you have to offer. Thanks

What did you not like about the options you have already used?

For 100yd a red dot or a 1x4 scope are good options. You really don't need more.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Leupold vxr patrol. Lighter and very clear. If I had known the quality of vortex before buying this would of checked out some of their stuff a little more seriously and might have saved a couple bucks.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    What's your price range

~$500

What did you not like about the options you have already used?

The EoTech is great tactically, but I like some magnification. I find their red dot hard to see in bright light, so that rules out a magnifier. I liked the Leupold 3x9, I'd probably buy that, but was interested in other options. The 5x Burris is a good mix of the EoTech and Leupold, red dot easier to see, I'm not sure the accuracy is there.

Thanks for the replies. The Primary Arms 1x6 looks good.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I just sold a leupold mark ar scope. It was a fantastic optic but I wanted to try a different set up. Went with a Vortex Strike eagle 1-6. Taking it out this weekend but looks great, illuminated, solid reviews, and at ~$330 it's a great buy for a solid 1-6 with Vortex's warranty.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I have a PA 1-4 and although it's a bit longer and heavier (giggity?) than I was hoping, it's a pretty decent optic considering the price point.

I'm looking at a Vortex Strike Eagle as well, but I'll probably get that after I PCS to Texas this fall.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Personal preferences. Red dot sights are for anything inside about 50 - 60 yards. Past that and I prefer irons or a telescope. Red dots work best for me for what is closer, they are very fast. A red dot for me at 100 yards is not a fly shooting instrument, much more of a practical size target eliminator. Even in matches at distances much beyond 100 yards I turn off the red dot and use irons.

I use a Bushnell (Nikon) 3-9 power 223 scope BDC with the side parallax (focus) adjustment. I use it on an 18" HBAR. Clear and crisp images, holds its zero, repeatable adjustments if you choose to move them.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have a buddy who works for Burris as they are a local company. I like their products but I still am partial to Vortex. I just love their stuff. Currently I have a Viper PST 6-24 x50 and a Strikefire II. No BS lifetime warranty just like Burris.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a buddy who works for Burris as they are a local company. I like their products but I still am partial to Vortex. I just love their stuff. Currently I have a Viper PST 6-24 x50 and a Strikefire II. No BS lifetime warranty just like Burris.

Just received my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with BDC reticle and side focus. First Vortex product. Looks to be a very nice scope. Biggest problem now is which gun to put it on. How are you liking the Strikefire? Trying to decide between one or the Primary Arms or now the Burris since you say they have a lifetime warranty. The 3 years on the Primary Arms is going to be the stopper for that I think.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I love the Strikefire II. Ive used them before but haven't zeroed this one yet. I prefer Vortex over Burris personally but in the last year or two Burris has had a major upswing in their quality control. The company has undergone major changes for the better.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    ~$500

The EoTech is great tactically, but I like some magnification. I find their red dot hard to see in bright light, so that rules out a magnifier. I liked the Leupold 3x9, I'd probably buy that, but was interested in other options. The 5x Burris is a good mix of the EoTech and Leupold, red dot easier to see, I'm not sure the accuracy is there.

Thanks for the replies. The Primary Arms 1x6 looks good.

Vortex Strike Eagle and PEPR mount. I also like the Leupold VXR Patrol but that would probably put you over 500.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vortex_Strike_Eagle_1_6x24_AR_BDC_p/v-se-1624-1.htm

and

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Burris_AR_P_E_P_R_Mount_30_MM_W_PTOP_410341_p/bur410341.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom