• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlocksRGreat

Nov 17, 2013
    Western Maryland
    I am a little confused on what makes a barrel HBAR. Is there a certain profile or diameter that has to be met? Is it possible to have too heavy of a barrel? When I build an upper do I decide if the barrel is a HBAR or not?

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Is there a definitive list that has companies that sell complete HBAR uppers and barrels? Like name brand ones as I've been wondering this myself as I do plan to do a build in the future from a stripped lower but would like to either buy complete upper or get the all the componets to match up with the lower. For example if I get a spikes lower does spikes offer a complete HBAR assembly or have an HBAR barrel to match the lower?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Would a barrel that is .850 behind the gas block and .680 all the way to the muzzle be considered an HBAR?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Is there a definitive list that has companies that sell complete HBAR uppers and barrels? Like name brand ones as I've been wondering this myself as I do plan to do a build in the future from a stripped lower but would like to either buy complete upper or get the all the componets to match up with the lower. For example if I get a spikes lower does spikes offer a complete HBAR assembly or have an HBAR barrel to match the lower?

No

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've ordered if barrels have to be marked Hbar. I have an older Wilson Super Sniper with a barrel that is about 1" in diameter but it is not marked Hbar.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I've ordered if barrels have to be marked Hbar. I have an older Wilson Super Sniper with a barrel that is about 1" in diameter but it is not marked Hbar.

The general consensus seems to be that if the contour dimensions match (or are larger than) the dimensions of the barrel used on the "colt sporter hbar" as named in the law, *OR* the barrel is marketed or marked by the manufacturer as "HBAR" contour, it's safe.

SAA has a number of black hole barrels on their site, in stock, which are sold as "HBAR profile". If you buy one of those, you can print out the receipt and the web page with the item description if you're that paranoid.

I have yet to encounter a law enforcement officer at the range with a set of dial calipers, although I'm just one person and certainly can't speak for all Marylanders.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Maryland MSP has stated .750" minimum under the handguard makes it an HBAR...I guess all the way to the muzzle also. At least that is what is being sold in a Maryland legal Colt carbine. I handled one of those and it has the same heft and feel of the standard 16" M-4 type barrels so no loss in handling. I don't recall if it was or wasn't stamped HBAR.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Well does anybody know off hand what manufactures besides colt that are name brand that sell 16in HBAR uppers?

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well dies anybody know off hand what manufactures besides colt that are name brand that sell 16in HBAR uppers?

Plenty.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but if I'm not being paid to do your research, that's about as much digging as I'll do for free. :D

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Maryland MSP has stated .750" minimum under the handguard makes it an HBAR...I guess all the way to the muzzle also.

Do you have this in writing by chance? Maybe it's something that came out recently that I missed, but this is the reply I got from Cpl. Edwards a few months ago. I specifically asked because I found a barrel I liked, and was .750 or greater throughout, but was called something tactical like 3 gun profile/SDM/SPR, not "heavy."

The term HBAR is not defined in statute or COMAR. The barrel does not have no be stamped heavy or HBAR in order for it to be a heavy barrel. I would recommend obtaining information from the manufacturer of the barrel where they define the item being purchased as a heavy barrel.

If some new memo has come out outlining barrel dimensions, I missed it. As far as I'm aware, all that matters is that the manufacturer advertises/describes and/or stamps the barrel "heavy" or "HBAR."

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    This has been discussed before and a reputable FFL told me this before the MDS thread on it. Do a search, its there somewhere. As I stated I don't recall seeing HBAR stamped on that Colt barrel, but I did see the profile under the handguard .750" from in front of the barrel extension all the way out.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I am a little confused on what makes a barrel HBAR. Is there a certain profile or diameter that has to be met?
    If the manufacturer describes/advertises or marks it as "heavy," it's heavy. That's the safe answer. The problem is, "heavy" doesn't sell as well as tacticool names like SDM and SPR. You can take two barrels of the exact same dimensions made by two different companies. One is advertised as heavy, one is called SPR. The first one is GTG. The second one...gray area. To be sure, I would make sure that the word "heavy" or "HBAR" is in writing or stamped on the barrel.
    Is it possible to have too heavy of a barrel?
    If you can't pick up the rifle, or the barrel won't fit under the handguard, it's too heavy.
    When I build an upper do I decide if the barrel is a HBAR or not?
    Not unless you turn your own barrels.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    This has been discussed before and a reputable FFL told me this before the MDS thread on it. Do a search, its there somewhere. As I stated I don't recall seeing HBAR stamped on that Colt barrel, but I did see the profile under the handguard .750" from in front of the barrel extension all the way out.

There have been several threads on this exact question. MSP has said that the barrel does not have to be stamped HBAR for it to be heavy. Everything I've read basically says that if the manufacturer calls it heavy, it's heavy. Like Cpl. Edwards said, the terms "heavy" and "HBAR" are not defined in statute or COMAR.

I can put a barrel in front of 10 people, and we can all agree that it's heavy. We can take a set of calipers to it and determine that it's at least .750 throughout. But MY understanding of the law is that if the manufacturer doesn't call the barrel heavy, it's not.

If one were to buy this barrel and end up in legal trouble, they would have a good legal defense that the dimensions match another barrel which is marked as HBAR. Maybe that would lead to a change in statute/COMAR. But I personally don't want to be the one that makes the legal precedent. I'm assuming the OP doesn't either, which is why I recommend buying one that is marked or advertised as heavy. There are plenty of good ones out there (I got a nice WOA from Engage). All this being said, it's possible that some new guidance from MSP has come out that I'm unaware of. I'm still looking.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Plenty.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but if I'm not being paid to do your research, that's about as much digging as I'll do for free. :D

Well you are being a dick. I'm asking because when I Google all I get is colt and off brand, or names I don't recognize. I was looking to see if spikes had one they do not, which was answered here. I was told bcm does but have not found one that is specifically HBAR marked in photos. So to be frank if your not gonna be helpful then buzz off. I use this fourum for information when my own results come up empty. And seeing as how it pertains to this thread. Why come in if your not willing to give a helping hand?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Well does anybody know off hand what manufactures besides colt that are name brand that sell 16in HBAR uppers?

Google "16" HBAR Uppers Sale" provides 84,000 hits many of them recognizable to me names. What do you consider a "Name Brand".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom