• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I've been looking at buying my first MSR and finally settled on a DPMS GII after 3 months of looking at everything I could afford or build. I found the one I wanted for a good price this past Saturday and "pulled the trigger" (DPRM LR-GII MOE).

I took it out to a buddies farm today to try it out and it shot great. I put 80 rounds through it by the end of the day and didn't have one issue. The ammo wasn't the greatest, ZQ1.

When I got home to clean it, there were three parts that fell out when I took the BCG out. I know what one of the parts is but I can't figure out what the other two are or where they came from. Nothing seems to be missing or not functioning, but I don't want to screw up myself or the rifle.

The first part that came out is the front part of the forward assist. The part that actually engages with the notches in the bolt carrier. The roll pin sheared off on both sides. That alone sucks, but at $12 from Midway replacing it isn't a big deal. I don't see any damage any where that it caused in the receiver. It seems to have stayed in place until I removed the BCG.

One of the other parts is a tiny solid metal pin. It's not a roll pin, it's solid metal. It's about 5/16" long and it doesn't appear to be sheared off or damaged in any way. Both edges are slightly chamfered and the ends are flat. This fell out as soon as I turned the upper receiver over after taking the BCG and the charging handle out. Nothing else on the upper receiver had been disassembled when this fell out.

I was putting the rifle back together after cleaning and turned the upper receiver over again and a tiny spring fell out. Again, no Idea where it came from. It's about 5/16" long and 1/16" thick. I had disassembled the BCG to clean it and had reassembled it but that was it as far as disassembly that I had performed.

Once reassembled, everything seemed to work fine (except the forward assist, that doesn't really assist much right now). I didn't take anything apart on the lower receiver except the buffer and buffer spring to wipe them off so I don't think the parts are from there. I looked at the parts for the bolt and bolt carrier online and it doesn't look like these are from there. I'm at a loss.

Can anyone tell me what these parts are or where they are from? Or even where to look? I hate to send this back to DPMS and wait weeks or months to use it again. It wasn't an inexpensive rifle, I'd like to use it.

I attached a pic of all three parts if that helps.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      17.2 KB · Views: 309

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    (1) Forward Assist Pawl Retaining Pin
    (2) Forward Assist Pawl
    (3) Forward Assist Pawl Detent
    (4) Forward Assist Pawl Helical Compression Spring
    (5) Forward Assist Plunger

forwardAssist.gif

You have 2, 3, and 4 there.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    FWIW, someone may have bumped the F.A. when the gun recoiled, or it was stuck forward when it fired, or someone smacked the F.A. real hard.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Thank you Clandestine!

The pic of the forward assist assembly for sale at Midway didn't show those parts.

That's good news that it's only the one thing to replace, although my Google-Fu found that the forward assist installation can be a PITA.

Any chance of a AR-10/LR-308 class in the future?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you Clandestine!

The pic of the forward assist assembly for sale at Midway didn't show those parts.

That's good news that it's only the one thing to replace, although my Google-Fu found that the forward assist installation can be a PITA.

I probably won't be doing a .308 AR class due to the variances of .308 AR's, but it is an idea I'm still bouncing around.

I'm glad to have helped. Try and contact DPMS and see if they will just ship you a forward assist assembly.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thank you Clandestine!

I can help you install a new FA, not a problem. I venture down that way frequently as I shoot at the club in Harwood and hunt in Lothian. I have the needed tools to pull it off, if you get a replacement FA. I'd contact DMPS, or just get one from Midway or JoeBob's if they don't help, they are not real costly.. ;)

I'd replace the whole forward assist, as it appears from the pic that the retaining pin sheared off, don't think I'd trust using the old parts with just a new pin..

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I probably won't be doing a .308 AR class due to the variances of .308 AR's, but it is an idea I'm still bouncing around.

I'm glad to have helped. Try and contact DPMS and see if they will just ship you a forward assist assembly.

I understand, but will be in the first class if you decide to do one. DPMS wants me to send the gun in to their service guy. I spoke with him and he said I didn't need to send it in and could just put a new one in and be done with it. He can't send the part though since he is a warranty service center, not parts. I'll just buy one.

I can help you install a new FA, not a problem. I venture down that way frequently as I shoot at the club in Harwood and hunt in Lothian. I have the needed tools to pull it off, if you get a replacement FA. I'd contact DMPS, or just get one from Midway or JoeBob's if they don't help, they are not real costly.. ;)

I'd replace the whole forward assist, as it appears from the pic that the retaining pin sheared off, don't think I'd trust using the old parts with just a new pin..

Thanks for the offer Sticky, I'd welcome the help. Let me get one ordered and I'll shoot you a PM. I definitely will replace the whole thing. I might even be able to meet you at Twelfth Precinct if that works. I sometimes shoot there with my brother-in-law who is a member.

BTW-I'm jealous that you get to hunt here. I moved here 6 years ago, but just recently got into hunting and haven't found anywhere local to hunt yet.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I understand, but will be in the first class if you decide to do one. DPMS wants me to send the gun in to their service guy. I spoke with him and he said I didn't need to send it in and could just put a new one in and be done with it. He can't send the part though since he is a warranty service center, not parts. I'll just buy one.

Thanks for the offer Sticky, I'd welcome the help. Let me get one ordered and I'll shoot you a PM. I definitely will replace the whole thing. I might even be able to meet you at Twelfth Precinct if that works. I sometimes shoot there with my brother-in-law who is a member.

BTW-I'm jealous that you get to hunt here. I moved here 6 years ago, but just recently got into hunting and haven't found anywhere local to hunt yet.
    Good deal, glad to help out. It's a quick and easy fix.. ;)

Been hunting down that way for a long time, between Harwood and Lothian and we can meet up at the Twelfth Precinct, that would probably work well and I'm a member, so we can get in anytime.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    FWIW, someone may have bumped the F.A. when the gun recoiled, or it was stuck forward when it fired, or someone smacked the F.A. real hard.

That's what I was thinking, specifically, "why did it fail like that?". Pins don't shear for no reason. Not to turn a possible bound original FA into an issue but are there any heavy engagement marks on the carrier FA teeth?

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    That's what I was thinking, specifically, "why did it fail like that?". Pins don't shear for no reason. Not to turn a possible bound original FA into an issue but are there any heavy engagement marks on the carrier FA teeth?

Nope, no marks on anything other than the broken forward assist.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    $26 for a new forward assist and a set of punches and the problem is fixed. Works great! Judging by how compressed the old spring is compared to the new one, I'd venture a guess that the forward assist was stuck when I got the rifle and I didn't know it. Thanks again everyone!

Sticky-decided to save you the hassle and see if I could handle it. Thanks again for the offer. I'd love to meet up and shoot sometime when you're down this way.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Glad you got it fixed! Told ya it wasn't hard... lol

We'll do that for sure.. may see you in class if you do the Sat class with the Master.. ;)

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Glad you got it fixed! Told ya it wasn't hard... lol

We'll do that for sure.. may see you in class if you do the Sat class with the Master.. ;)

You were correct, not hard at all. The hardest part was getting the roll pin started in the hole since I don't have pin starter punches. I had a set of security Torx screwdriver bits, the ones that are hollow in the middle of the star, and I used one of them like a pin starter.

I did pick the Saturday class with AR-Wan Kenobi, I look forward to seeing you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom