• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    What I mean by the question is, what gets serialized? Thus, what is the firearm.

I cannot think of the name of the gun, the US military , older, belt fed.. 1919? But the side plate is the part regulated , that plate is the firearm, and gets the serial.

So what part if this would get the serial number and be the firearm?

I might toss a serial number on it just cause.....Im not planning on selling it or anything like that....I dont think ill ever sell a firearm I own. As far as what part ill serialize...probably a side plate.

davidolde

Jan 20, 2012
    Very cool, and nice work so far- I'd love to see the final product when you get it finished. I'd also love to see a video of it being fired...

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Very cool, and nice work so far- I'd love to see the final product when you get it finished. I'd also love to see a video of it being fired...

That might be a possibility...might be down the road some time...but a possibility.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Your lower looks awesome! I can't wait to see it finished.

I wonder why someone hasn't started manufacturing an AR lower kit that fastens together like this one. If they left a couple holes for the trigger assembly unfinished so that it would not accept a trigger assembly, would the BATFE would consider this an 80% lower?

Attachments

• kt15bx.jpg
      kt15bx.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 719

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Your lower looks awesome! I can't wait to see it finished.

I wonder why someone hasn't started manufacturing an AR lower kit that fastens together like this one. If they left a couple holes for the trigger assembly unfinished so that it would not accept a trigger assembly, would the BATFE would consider this an 80% lower?
    No telling with the ATF.. LMAO

Basically they shun any machining whatever in the FCG area, so I don't know how that would work with a plate-made lower...

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    Very cool. as for the serial #. not required if your not selling. BUT, I would recommend some sort of distinguishing mark with photos for documentation in case it is ever stolen.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Street signs are also steel.

Everyone we ever 'borrowed' (when I was younger) was aluminum. Maybe you didn't go big enough? :)

Note: Not stop signs or any of the important ones. We were young but not completely stupid.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Ok, so I got some time to mess around with the lower receiver and and attach it to my current upper. I had to "wallow" out the holes to make everything line up perfect....and you can see in the pictures I got everything to line up. Yes the lower and upper are held together by 1/4-28 bolts. Next im going to move onto the magazine release.

Attachments

• photo(11).JPG
      photo(11).JPG
      73.4 KB · Views: 631
    • photo(12).JPG
      photo(12).JPG
      70.5 KB · Views: 616

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Instead of plain bolts, think about using shoulder bolts. They are smooth (and precision ground) in the middle section and when tightened will 'bottom out' and prevent pulling the sides together. Though, one of the side holes for each would need to be smaller (and possibly tapped.) A 1/4" shoulder bolt usually has 10-24 threads. So maybe just a thought for 'next time';)

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Instead of plain bolts, think about using shoulder bolts. They are smooth (and precision ground) in the middle section and when tightened will 'bottom out' and prevent pulling the sides together. Though, one of the side holes for each would need to be smaller (and possibly tapped.) A 1/4" shoulder bolt usually has 10-24 threads. So maybe just a thought for 'next time';)

Thats a great idea if I ever make a MK2 design.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Well, if you got a shoulder bolt that was the full width (went through both sides), you could put a thin jamb nut on it. Would look & work better than the plain ones that are in there now at least. W/ regular bolts, I'd be worried that the threads tear up the upper's tabs when moving around under recoil.

Maybe better: cut a 1/4" pin to length and drill/tap both sides for a button head cap screws? A #8 screw will have a bigger head than 1/4".

Just thinking outloud... Im a hobby machinist and really enjoy stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom