• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Not to hijack this thread....but I have a factory folder for the Mini-14 (blued) that I'm looking to sell.....

-Jeff

I'd be interested if I weren't Maryland now that they're banned here (for new owners, although not heirs).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Id rather have a MGI Hydra
    , cash and carry too.

Next time the 9mm comes up cheap on slickguns Im going to have it. Rather start with the 9 as the 5.56 gear is easier to obtain.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I chalk this one up to a solution looking for a problem. But what exactly are they trying to fix. If this were exclusively to make it easy to swap between a 300 blk barrel, 5.56 barrel, and a 6.5 Grendel barrel and all 3 were included with that over $2K price tag, than that makes sense. Otherwise you guys can have it. I'm good.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Can't see switching barrels (let alone caliber) without having to re-zero. Just get two uppers like you've been doing. I like Ruger, but this is just stupid.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Based on what I'm seeing in that pic, you're saving about 5 inches over removing the upper from the lower.

Did I miss something?
    :shrug:

Multi cal....capability less to transport. On your back....

Different barrel lengths... less to transport. On your back.

Different barrel diameters...less to transport.. On your back..

As far as piston goes...no opinion...

A takedown mini. 14 30 what ever....you bet..

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Can't see switching barrels (let alone caliber) without having to re-zero. Just get two uppers like you've been doing. I like Ruger, but this is just stupid.

Several guns have managed that.. cal switch would need a new zero..but... I bet it would be a fixed offset...

The right sights...scope and data...it should work..

Now its not cheap...so unless you need this option why bother..

But then again..stuff tends to get cheaper over time.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    LMT has been making the best of breed for these types of systems for nearly ten years now in 5.56, and in 7.62 with the MWS. The differences being monolithic upper receivers with an inherently stronger quick change mechanism, and a much better overall reputation for quality and reliability. At first they offered only DI systems, but added piston systems later in 5.56. The piston does have an advantage in short barrel applications. They now have a wide variety of calibers available, some needing just a barrel swap while others require barrel and bolt. Nothing new from Ruger except a goofy name....as pointed out, an AR is already a take down rifle.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    I'd be interested if I weren't Maryland now that they're banned here (for new owners, although not heirs).

The stocks aren't banned, nor are the mini-14 guns they are made for. However, you cannot sell them assembled as a unit together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom