• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Best answer I can come up with is:

Find a barrel mfr. and see what, if any, Hbars they offer. If none, move on to your next choice, Etc.

I've bought barrels 'sold' as Hbars(and by their profiles qualify as such) that carry no stamping saying such. If this happens to you, just keep a copy of the receipt in your records. This is something that will likely never come up, unless you've been arrested for some malfeasance, and the DA wants to heap more charges upon you.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Google "16" HBAR Uppers Sale" provides 84,000 hits many of them recognizable to me names. What do you consider a "Name Brand".

BCM, Spikes, Daniel Defense , Colt, Stag. I did a Google search on it and my results were lack luster. Hence why I asked as I've owned to ARs now and would like to do more than just buy a rifle and spend a ton if money just to reconfigure it. I'd like to build one from the ground up this time around and start getting all the componets together but would like to have a complete upper for my first " build" as I don't have all the tools and stuff I need to assemble an upper just yet.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Best answer I can come up with is:

Find a barrel mfr. and see what, if any, Hbars they offer. If none, move on to your next choice, Etc.

I've bought barrels 'sold' as Hbars(and by their profiles qualify as such) that carry no stamping saying such. If this happens to you, just keep a copy of the receipt in your records. This is something that will likely never come up, unless you've been arrested for some malfeasance, and the DA wants to heap more charges upon you.

Thank u. Now we're getting somewhere. What companies did you purchase from?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I buy my affordables from DEZ Arms. They sell 'Hbars' but, the bbls. are not marked as such so, keep that paperwork. For the money, they are decent shooters. I have one of their Match Grade barrels on my 20'' AR and it shoots 5 shot one hole groups @ 100 yds. off a sandbag rest. I also have a 14.5 "hbar" that rings steel (2''-4'') @ 100 yds. through a 3.75X Eotech. That bbl. was under $200.:thumbsup:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    There have been several threads on this exact question. MSP has said that the barrel does not have to be stamped HBAR for it to be heavy. Everything I've read basically says that if the manufacturer calls it heavy, it's heavy. Like Cpl. Edwards said, the terms "heavy" and "HBAR" are not defined in statute or COMAR.

I can put a barrel in front of 10 people, and we can all agree that it's heavy. We can take a set of calipers to it and determine that it's at least .750 throughout. But MY understanding of the law is that if the manufacturer doesn't call the barrel heavy, it's not.

If one were to buy this barrel and end up in legal trouble, they would have a good legal defense that the dimensions match another barrel which is marked as HBAR. Maybe that would lead to a change in statute/COMAR. But I personally don't want to be the one that makes the legal precedent. I'm assuming the OP doesn't either, which is why I recommend buying one that is marked or advertised as heavy. There are plenty of good ones out there (I got a nice WOA from Engage). All this being said, it's possible that some new guidance from MSP has come out that I'm unaware of. I'm still looking.
    ^^ This.

Or if the barrel has a double chin. :D

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

I've mentioned twice a solid, reputable, very accurate brand (and I know of at least one complete upper available on ar15.com's EE with one of their barrels, for a very fair price). Perhaps if you were to go back and read a little more closely instead of expecting everyone to hand you links on a silver plate, you'd be less of a captain grumpypants.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    I've mentioned twice a solid, reputable, very accurate brand (and I know of at least one complete upper available on ar15.com's EE with one of their barrels, for a very fair price). Perhaps if you were to go back and read a little more closely instead of expecting everyone to hand you links on a silver plate, you'd be less of a captain grumpypants.

I'm not being grumpy I just skipped over your post as I didn't see myself in the quote so I didn't think it was relevant to me but to the OP.

Feb 28, 2013
    I am a little confused on what makes a barrel HBAR. Is there a certain profile or diameter that has to be met? Is it possible to have too heavy of a barrel? When I build an upper do I decide if the barrel is a HBAR or not?

Basically, they look like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      8.6 KB · Views: 227

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm sure you can understand my paranoia about building within the law. I want to build an MK 12 SPR clone.

I guess Daniel Defense likes using their own terminology for HBAR, but this is the one I'm likely to go with

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hamm...s/18-5-56mm-s2wr-rifle-length-chf-barrel.html

I'm also considering a BCM barrel:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...th-Gas-Ionbond-p/bcm-brl-ss410-18-8-ib-bk.htm

Both are good to go, yes? Any recommendations of one over the other?

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm sure you can understand my paranoia about building within the law. I want to build an MK 12 SPR clone.

I guess Daniel Defense likes using their own terminology for HBAR, but this is the one I'm likely to go with

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hamm...s/18-5-56mm-s2wr-rifle-length-chf-barrel.html

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...th-Gas-Ionbond-p/bcm-brl-ss410-18-8-ib-bk.htm

I would say the DD is GTG, as they specifically use the word "heavy" to describe the barrel. The BCM barrel is "mid-weight profile" according to them.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

Neither of those is correct for a mk12 clone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Maybe this will help: Warning-info heavy

http://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/2zmb66/mk12_clone_spec_sheets/

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good info, thanks! And, now I know that I don't want a Mk 12 clone :)

:thumbsup:We all build our 'Special Purpose Rifles' to suit our own needs, whether it be long range steel, varmint shooting, etc. The Mk 12 is the inspiration to that ends.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom