How hard is it to replace the gas block on an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It really isn't for me, a slight cheek weld change and you use one, or the other and I don't really find it cluttered, but you do lose a bit of view in the lower portion of the RDS from the sights, again though, this does not really affect me shooting it either with sights or RDS. The dot does not affect sighting and the sights really don't affect me using the dot. I think an absolute co-witness would, which is why I opted for 1/3 lower.

There is a good argument also for just chopping it off, covering it with a long rail and using flip ups as an alternative, but I wanted to keep the A2 sights, added tritium front and rear inserts for use in the dark and am very happy with the outcome. ;)

If you are in SP, I am too... be glad to let you look through mine to see what you think.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's what I'm "worried" about. I've never used co-witness before. I feel like the picture would be too crowded for me.

I don't want to buy a riser for the optic and magnifier I'm getting just to decide I don't like it.

Back when I had an Aimpoint on my M4gery, I had it set up for a 1/3 lower co-witness. It worked out very well. The front sight doesn't interfere with the sight picture and in the unlikely event that the Aimpoint died, I'd have the BUIS take over with minimal fuss.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    That's what I'm "worried" about. I've never used co-witness before. I feel like the picture would be too crowded for me.

I don't want to buy a riser for the optic and magnifier I'm getting just to decide I don't like it.

This is the main set up the army uses. You dont even notice the fsb looking through your optic. Ive ran an aimpoint, eotech, and trijicon with a fsb and never knew the fsb was there unless I was looking for it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is the main set up the army uses. You dont even notice the fsb looking through your optic. Ive ran an aimpoint, eotech, and trijicon with a fsb and never knew the fsb was there unless I was looking for it.

^^^This. Look through a red dot of any kind and you'll see the top of the post more clearly. It's basely the same thing as putting tritium on the FS post.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This was a question a had posted awhile ago and people kept telling me to replace the gas block and keep the FSB in case I wanted to replace the A frame FSB, which I'll never do. I'll do the cut off thing. FWIW a friend of mine's son did his and his brother's. Replaced the gas block with a Midwest Industries. On his he had to beat the crap out of the pins, he had shot his gun before doing it. His brother had never shot his and doused it with PB Blaster and let it soak over nite and the pins came right out. Maybe just a coincidence but worth thinking about.
    I'm wondering since I don't have work bench and grinder if a Dremel will do the cutting.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, a dremel with a cutoff disk will do most of the work, then a little sanding with a drum will smooth it up so it looks half-decent, if you want to go that route.. ;)

Pins... taper pins require a serious smack of a rather heavy hammer to remove in my experience. Be careful and wield a LARGE hammer and they come out pretty easily. Straight pins were similar to remove when I installed my rail on an HBAR barrel, big hammer time.. lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yes, a dremel with a cutoff disk will do most of the work, then a little sanding with a drum will smooth it up so it looks half-decent, if you want to go that route.. ;)

Pins... taper pins require a serious smack of a rather heavy hammer to remove in my experience. Be careful and wield a LARGE hammer and they come out pretty easily. Straight pins were similar to remove when I installed my rail on an HBAR barrel, big hammer time.. lol

Yup!

If someone beats up taper pins they are doing it wrong. I show my students how easy it is to remove taper pins. A big 1/2" punch and a big hammer will get them started, them small punches to drive them the rest of the way out.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Thank for the advice everyone. Sticky hooked a brotha up and let me come over to his house to see what 1/3 co-witness looks like. It's not nearly as crowded a sight picture as I thought it would be. I ordered my red dot with the riser and next week I'll be in business.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom