• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    CAn anyone tell me if I can SBR a stripped lower and what the proceedure is? Also, anyone in greater Baltimore area do the engraving?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can start the SBR paperwork with a stripped lower. You will need to supply the specs and dimentions of the finished SBR to include on Form 1/ 4 . By the time the Tax Stamp arrives you will need to be able to assemble it into the listed configuration. And more if you wish , but the listed one is required.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You can start the SBR paperwork with a stripped lower. You will need to supply the specs and dimentions of the finished SBR to include on Form 1/ 4 . By the time the Tax Stamp arrives you will need to be able to assemble it into the listed configuration. And more if you wish , but the listed one is required.

Are you saying I need to spec a barrel length but can also change it at any time after? Anything else besides caliber and barrel length need to be specified?
    What do I need to have engraved on it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cal , bbl length , OAL.
    You can do any sort of "temporary" change of configuration you care to , that is otherwise legal, so long as you can readily restore the gun to the listed configuration. There is a process to change your "perminent" configuration , but that's not somthing you do lightly or frequently.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I had the option to put on different barrel lengths if I wanted. Do I get a form 1 from ATF web site?
    Hey here's another question that came up in an LGS tonite. If you don't have a trust does paperwork have to go to MSP 1st or does it go straight to ATF?

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Can you swap out other barrels that our SBR length? That is, apply for an SPR with a 10" barrel and later put on a 12 inch? Or maybe apply for a 5.56 10 inch and swap uppers for a 6.8 10 inch barrel?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as it isn't perminently altered AND you retain the parts required to restore to listed configuration,

You can have any number of Additional uppers ( or whatever ) , but you can't replace and dispose of origional. (Without filing additional paperwork / ATF .)

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Follow-up question: Do I have to have dedicated uppers for each lower that has been SBR'd?
    That is, I've got several stripped lowers and I'm going to submit my forms before Oct 1 so that I can buy uppers. Can I buy just one upper for now and will that be legally sufficient for more than one lower and still satisfy the original configuration issue? Or would I have to show that I have seperate uppers with short barrels for each lower I SBR?

Anyone know?

netcentry

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I too would like to SBR a stripped AR15 lower and a Glock 9mm. Does 'BS281' disallow the SBR after Oct 1 for either of the two above firearms?

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Follow-up question: Do I have to have dedicated uppers for each lower that has been SBR'd?
    That is, I've got several stripped lowers and I'm going to submit my forms before Oct 1 so that I can buy uppers. Can I buy just one upper for now and will that be legally sufficient for more than one lower and still satisfy the original configuration issue? Or would I have to show that I have seperate uppers with short barrels for each lower I SBR?

Anyone know?
    You do need to have dedicated uppers for each SBR lower, because you need to be able to return each SBR to its original configuration. But I don't know if you would need to have an upper for each SBR lower, or if you can use the same upper for all your SBR lowers. Why would you want to use the same upper on each lower, anyway?

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    This thread has been helpful. Thank you. I have a lower which I intend to build as an SBR. I have a trust in place currently. Last night I was online filling out Form 1 to apply for my tax stamp. Not having built the rifle yet (since I don't have a stamp), I was a bit stumped on the questions of barrel length, overall length, caliber and purpose of build. I figured I would list 7.5" barrel knowing I'd likely be allowed to go longer but maybe not shorter. My lower is marked "multi" for caliber. While I plan to only configure for 5.56, I don't want to tie up my freedoms for down the road. So, now I know as long as I keep the declared barrel length of declared caliber to configure the rifle as declared, I can also still exercise the freedom to reconfigure however I like. Thanks again.

My intent for the build is personal collection and recreation within the law. Does anyone know if this individual intent needs to be listed differently when the stamp is being applied for by a trust, rather than an individual?

Finally, are the trust documents the only docs needed to attach to Form 1 or do I also need to submit any other docs such as the receipt or Maryland background form for the original purchase of the lower?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    You do need to have dedicated uppers for each SBR lower, because you need to be able to return each SBR to its original configuration. But I don't know if you would need to have an upper for each SBR lower, or if you can use the same upper for all your SBR lowers. Why would you want to use the same upper on each lower, anyway?

It would only be short term. I want to apply to get the stamp on a couple of lowers before Oct 1 just in case MSP takes some radical position on the law. Eventually I buy an upper to go with each lower, but for a period of time it wil be only 1 upper to go with 2-3 lowers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Is there something in law that says the lower actually has to be assembled in the designated configuration when you get your stamp?

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    This thread has been helpful. Thank you. I have a lower which I intend to build as an SBR. I have a trust in place currently. Last night I was online filling out Form 1 to apply for my tax stamp. Not having built the rifle yet (since I don't have a stamp), I was a bit stumped on the questions of barrel length, overall length, caliber and purpose of build. I figured I would list 7.5" barrel knowing I'd likely be allowed to go longer but maybe not shorter. My lower is marked "multi" for caliber. While I plan to only configure for 5.56, I don't want to tie up my freedoms for down the road. So, now I know as long as I keep the declared barrel length of declared caliber to configure the rifle as declared, I can also still exercise the freedom to reconfigure however I like. Thanks again.
    The input I've rec'd from the kind folks here says that you need to indicate a length and caliber on your Form 1, and have the capability to return your weapon to those specs at any time. So if you put 7.5" for barrel length and 5.56 as your cal, you need to keep an upper with those specs on hand. You can make/have whatever other upper(s) you want (as long as they all meet the OAL requirements), but you must have the listed upper as well.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    The input I've rec'd from the kind folks here says that you need to indicate a length and caliber on your Form 1, and have the capability to return your weapon to those specs at any time. So if you put 7.5" for barrel length and 5.56 as your cal, you need to keep an upper with those specs on hand. You can make/have whatever other upper(s) you want (as long as they all meet the OAL requirements), but you must have the listed upper as well.

Thank you. I have verified this as well (to the best of my ability anyway). The issue I now need to research is: once approved, do I have to stamp the declared 5.56 caliber into my lower given the lower's original manufacturer has stamped it "multi" which was not a recommended declaration for me for Form 1. I previously thought only trust name, city and state needed to be engraved/stamped. But, now I am not too certain (per link): http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/03/batfe-engraving-requirements-f.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom