• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I am getting ready to build my first SBR and this is confusing me. :o

How do I know what the OVERALL length will be if I can't have the parts until I get the stamp?

I am building a 300 with a barral length of 10 - 10.5, haven't decided yet (depending on manufacture) - will be suppressed.

compare it to a known completed SBR length in that caliber. Some list the OAL with the stock fully extended. Then subtract their stated barrel length with a flash hider.That gives you the measurement of the front of the upper receiver all the way to the end of the stock extended. Add that to your desired barrel length and you got an OAL. You can play it safe by writing an inch or 2 less than what you come up with. If you get your tax stamp, assemble, and it ends up being a little longer than stated, I dont see that as a bad thing. Not sure about what happens if its shorter than what's stated though...

I ran into the same issue when I was trying to determine my OAL, google and ar15.com helped.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I did similar when filling out my Form 1. I have a 16" barrel AR, so I just measured the OAL of that one, then subtracted the difference between the barrel lengths--16"-11.5". So my OAL was 36" on my 16" gun, and subtracting the 4.5" of the barrel difference gave me an estimated OAL of 31.5" which is what I put on the F1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom