• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman417

Dec 23, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Good day, need some insight, is my next glock a 45 or 357 sig? For those with experience with both, can you provide some commentary?

Thanks

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    .45 more availability. Go to West BF Egypt and ask for a box of .45 and a box of .357 SIG. Buy the .45 although Lou at Shooters Discount had some gee locks in .357 SIG.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well the normal advice is to shoot them both and then decide. i personally prefer their 9/357/40 models because they fit better in my hand. the 10mm and 45 models are a little wider.

i had a g33 (their subcompact) and sold it because it was just too small for me to manipulate the controls. i have had a g31 (full size) for a while and it's been great. and i recently bought a gen4 g32 (midsize) and absolutely love it - it's now my primary carry gun.

as you might know, .357 sig ammo is way less prevalent than .45, so that could be a consideration. but if you keep stocked up, you won't need to run out and desperately search.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As much as I love .357 sig, I would highly recommend not getting it as a primary firearm. Frankly, the caliber is a niche and while it has some desirable charactersitics they are not that much better for 90% of users than alternatives.

Now, if you get a gun like a Sig, M&P, or Glock where the barrels can be interchanged with little to no fitting in .40 S&W you can have the best of both worlds by buying an extra barrel. I have my Sig 226 set up for .22, .357 and .40 S&W by just changing slides and barrels (and the .357 sig and .40 S&W use the same slides and mags).

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    Yes everyone is correct. the 357 sig ammo selection is not as easy to find. fun to shoot though :)

gunman417

Dec 23, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Very interesting. I am awaiting my MSP paperwork to be returned so I can pick up my G23. What exactly do I need to do in order to shoot .357 sig from that? Thanks for the info.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    Well seeing as how I have a g32 on my hip, I'm gonna recommend the 357 sig. Ammo is easy to find on the internet. 20 bucks for 50 rds on sgammo. Its a blast to shoot too. Real snappy, light and fast round. Makes a sweet crack when you squeeze one off. I got a ghost rocket 3.5lb kit in mine and Dan at gun connection made the trigger sweet as hell when he put the kit in. .45 is cool, it just feels weird in a glock. Swap out barrels and make your .357 a fowty or vise versa

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    45ACP has been around more than one hundred years. For all we know right now, 357SIG could be nearing extinction in five years. 45ACP Glocks are big, so make sure it fits your hand, especially trigger reach.

There is the "easy out" as touched on by other folks. If you buy a Glock 357SIG, you can convert it to 40S&W simply by swapping out the barrel with a Glock 40S&W barrel of the same length. The magazines are identical, except for being stamped 40S&W or 357SIG. Just be sure to never, ever mix the ammo up with the wrong barrel.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    G21SF Gen 3 are sweet, comfortable and damn near perfect Glocks

G20SF with additional barrels would give you the option for going 10/40/357 with the same pistol.

10mm is great when you want to go nuclear on some target. There was no scarcity of 40 in the last panic and you still have the 357 when you have the need, the need for speed.

A G20SF also would be a nice companion piece for the G23.

gunman417

Dec 23, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    How about from 40 to 9mm

Have read allot, watched youtube till my eyes hurt. Some say when going from 40-9, you need to change out the spring and not use less than 125 gr ammo. Others say slide in the new barrel and head out to the range. for those of you that have "done it" what is the truth? Can I go from 40-9 without changing out springs? Oh yes some have said that I should not use a Lone wolf barrel in my gen 4 because they are made for gen 3.

Warhorse

Aug 20, 2008
    Centreville, MD
    For whatever it is worth, the .357 Sig is used by the U.S. Secret Service. I have no idea why they picked that one.

I found it interesting that the muzzle blast and flash from the .357 Sig GREATLY exceeds that of my 1911 .45 ACP. :tdown: My son-in-law and I shot those side by side and I quickly developed a dislike for the .357 Sig for exactly that reason.

I don't know how the .357 Sig compares to the .40, however.

YMMV.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have an HK USP Compact that I also CCW. I shoot it in IDPA with an EFK 9mm barrel then swap in the HK 357Sig barrel for carry. It requires no mag or slide changes and if I want to get the HK .40 barrel that also uses the same parts. The .40/357Sig 12 rd mag holds 15 rounds of 9mm and the 10 round mag holds 12. You can do the same thing with the full size USP if you want more capacity. What I like about the .357Sig round is it closely matches the ballistics of the racegun .38Super/9x23mm calibers in a more compact package (also owned and shot a Sig P229 Sport racegun in 357Sig for awhile before going the STI route in 9x23mm). Shoots very flat and penetrates when you need that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom