Are these rifles regulated in MD (10/1) now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Get yourself something not regulated... Think outside the box a little.

Politicians keep banning stupid shit... and we are left with this. Both of these are in my toy collection Semi-auto SG-43 and RPD

Attachments

• 400px-GoryunovSG43MachineGun.jpg
      400px-GoryunovSG43MachineGun.jpg
      10 KB · Views: 560
    • Semi-RPD.jpg
      Semi-RPD.jpg
      4.5 KB · Views: 553

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I have been looking at other rifles though and was wondering if these were still OK to purchase?

Thanks in advance,

• Colt LE901-16S
    • Bushmaster ACR (Fixed Stock/Basic State Compliant)
    • FN Scar 16S
    • FN Scar 17S
    • HK MR566A1
    All legal.

The potential copy cats can be reconfigured, and the HK MR556 has a heavy barrel (see pic below).
    hk_mr556-a1_1.jpg

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yep me too, actually ended up getting a sig 716 bc of the cost of the adapter and considering overall cost. Like the 716 but think would really like 901.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I actually have enjoyed it. Not one issue so far, probably around 200 rounds though it. Only negative thing can say is it is not light and not huge fan of stock handguards. Lancer just came out with some that look like might have to try them. With right ammo very accurate out to 200 as farthest have been due to range limits.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    I recently reviewed the printed literature from the MSP regarding the criteria for banned rifles. While the HK556 is not listed on their printed list and technically does not meet the criteria for banning, the rifle is listed in their on-line fire arms search engine as a banned rifle. They claim it is a copy of the banned Colt AR15. What is most interesting is the working definition of a COPY. It must be cosmetically similar and all internal components must be interchangeable.

As we all know the HK does not meet that criteria. The AR15 DI bolt assembly will not function in the HK and the HK Gas Piston bolt assembly will not work in the AR15.

Another point of note is the fact I could not find any mention of the HBAR configuration being a reason for exemption from banning. The fact that the HK is made with a heavy barrel, although HK does not explicitly name it an HBAR configuration, would seemingly add more reasons as to why it should NOT be a banned rifle.

I filed a request with the MSP for their weekly review board to reconsider their determination of the HK556 ban based on these facts and they have 30 days to respond. Their website has a form under which you may request reconsideration of their rifle determinations.

While I doubt they will change their ban on the HK it is a small part I can play in bringing pressure to bare on their ill conceived notions, policies and procedures in the long march to right the many wrongs of MD gun laws.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the rifle is a copy of an AR-15, then the HBAR version of that rifle SHOULD be allowed.

They can't have it both ways. :)

BTW, from the original list posted, the Bushmaster is considered banned in MD, based on the name being on the list. Never mind that the Bushmaster in the list (from 1994) was a rifle that hasn't been made since before 1994.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    It seems I was successful. The HK556 is no longer banned in MD. The State Police have now changed its desingation to:

Weapon Selected: H & K MR556A1;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on infomation provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy.

SCORE ONE for COMMON SENSE!

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    I guess this settles the whole piston-AR question. Keep chipping away at the insanity, one little bit at a time!

Feb 28, 2013
    I guess this settles the whole piston-AR question. Keep chipping away at the insanity, one little bit at a time!

Not so fast. It settles it with THAT rifle. The same thing may have to be done with other models that are similar.:sad20:

Hopefully not though.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    It seems I was successful. The HK556 is no longer banned in MD. The State Police have now changed its desingation to:

Weapon Selected: H & K MR556A1;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on infomation provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy.

SCORE ONE for COMMON SENSE!

Nice, so sad I still can't afford it ;)

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    I followed state police protocol and simply submitted the on line form to request a review of the ban. The review board makes the decision. Not sure who runs it at the police. The MSP have been meeting with FFL's for the past month trying to get issues they are facing as a result of the laws ambiguity resolved. One with whom I spoke today told me the MSP said if you think a gun is questionable they will pair to its supposed copy and see if the components work. I would think that most piston designs with heavy barrels will pass this test.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Not so fast. It settles it with THAT rifle. The same thing may have to be done with other models that are similar.:sad20:

Hopefully not though.

Yep, but now that this precedent is set it's simply a matter of submitting the supporting information and citing the MSP ruling on this model for any other piston ARs that appear on the ban list, and it's likely that no more will be mistakenly added.

It also will make it easier in court for anyone who is charged with possession of a "banned" copy of an AR15 if they can cite MSP's position that a piston AR is not a copy of a banned weapon.

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    bottom line: go to your local FFL and see what they have for sale. If they have it for sale, chances are it is legally obtainable. If they don't have it for sale, then you can't buy it or transfer it from out of state.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or if they don't have it for sale, ASK THEM.

It doesn't matter what is legal if you cannot find an FFL who will transfer it to you.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Um......the ACR is banned. Check the State Police whosajiggit. It says that it is banned by enumeration I think.

Bushmaster Semi Automatic Rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom