Carrying a handgun on apartment property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What does your lease say? anything about the common areas? I agree the common area probably could not be defined as an area leased by you.

IANAL either.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What does your lease say? anything about the common areas? I agree the common area probably could not be defined as an area leased by you.

IANAL either.

Once you walk out from your apt you are in public and immediately illegal. If anything else were true, you would be able to oc down the steps out into the street, past the tennis courts and to the lobby.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    No example to give- no charges to reference. The laws in MD effectively prohibit handgun ownership if a individual does not have a "residence". How can a individual only possess a handgun legally if a) in their home/residence, or b) while unloaded in transport between home and range, business, or gun store/smith. If one has no home, they would not be perpetually going to a gun store or range and are always in a "common area". Obviously the obligatory school/gov building, etc would be an exception- but the laws effectively limit lawful handgun ownership to individuals who have a residence.
    That's an excellent point, and should be one of the many used to defeat the anti CCW policies in this state. It is surely discrimination to state that only property owners or lease holders have the right to protect their lives.

There was a case in Utah where a homeless guy living in a dumpster shot another homeless guy who was trying to ( move in ) on his ( home ) Due to the fact that others in the local homeless community spoke up and told the cops that was his ( home ) and all knew it, he was not even arrested, as the shooting was in defense of his ( home ). Imagine what Frosh would do as the DA with that case here in MD......

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    Once you walk out from your apt you are in public and immediately illegal. If anything else were true, you would be able to oc down the steps out into the street, past the tennis courts and to the lobby.

What does "oc down the steps" mean?

If I owned a single family home would it be illegal to carry when I walk to my mailbox located near the curb at the entrance to my driveway?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

If I owned a single family home would it be illegal to carry when I walk to my mailbox located near the curb at the entrance to my driveway?

No, it's not illegal when you own your home.
    OC down the steps means "Open carry into the hallway and out of the building" This whole thread is about living in apartment .
    Once you leave your apartment carrying a pistol on your hip, you are breaking the law.

Walk anywhere you want on your own single family home on your property and enjoy :thumbsup: Many do often.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    No, it's not illegal when you own your home.
    OC down the steps means "Open carry into the hallway and out of the building" This whole thread is about living in apartment .
    Once you leave your apartment carrying a pistol on your hip, you are breaking the law.

Walk anywhere you want on your own single family home on your property and enjoy :thumbsup: Many do often.

Thanks. I might not have been clear in my original post. Maybe it doesn't make a difference but I should have specified concealed carry.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Make sure that said mailbox is in your property not public right of ways.. Note that most mailbox are not in the private property.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks. I might not have been clear in my original post. Maybe it doesn't make a difference but I should have specified concealed carry.

You need a permit to carry a pistol concealed in Md when off of the property that you own.

You cannot walk outside of an apartment you lease with any pistol if you do not have a permit. It has to be concealed if you do have a permit.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Does NOT have to be concealed if you have a permit. Its a Permit to carry a Firearm. Concealed is not mentioned except in a letter from MSP when you receive the permit staying that you may have problems if you wear the handgun in a way that causes concern to other citizens.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    Make sure that said mailbox is in your property not public right of ways.. Note that most mailbox are not in the private property.

When I owned my home in Connecticut the mailbox was at the very edge of my front lawn. It probably was considered part of the public right of way. At that time it was not a problem because I had a CCW.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    That's an excellent point, and should be one of the many used to defeat the anti CCW policies in this state. It is surely discrimination to state that only property owners or lease holders have the right to protect their lives.

There was a case in Utah where a homeless guy living in a dumpster shot another homeless guy who was trying to ( move in ) on his ( home ) Due to the fact that others in the local homeless community spoke up and told the cops that was his ( home ) and all knew it, he was not even arrested, as the shooting was in defense of his ( home ). Imagine what Frosh would do as the DA with that case here in MD......

Interesting; however, the homeless aren't a protected class as far as I know so you are looking at a rational basis review. And that's an easy standard for the government to meet.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Does NOT have to be concealed if you have a permit. Its a Permit to carry a Firearm. Concealed is not mentioned except in a letter from MSP when you receive the permit staying that you may have problems if you wear the handgun in a way that causes concern to other citizens.

Walk into a store oc'ing with your permit. Report back to us if it was worth it.
    Do you have a permit? Do you oc?

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    How do private / gated communities and apartments affect things? I could see making the argument that a gated community is not "public".

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes I do. And no I don't but you stated specifically that it has to be concealed when it does not.

So, you sling your ol pistola on your hip out and about and nobody has called the police on you yet? Do you put a "concealed carry" badge next to your holster to make people think you're a detective?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How do private / gated communities and apartments affect things? I could see making the argument that a gated community is not "public".

Geezus. The only people who want to make the argument that gated communities and apartment complexes are legal to carry are ones who want to challenge the fine letter of the law and specific clauses in leases and home purchases contracts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom