• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I'm cool with them taking the time they are supposed to have , if its not done in a week oh well, I'm sure they will get it done in time.

I'm in no way cool with it, it's a stupid law by the gun grabbers that will have no bearing on any agenda but to hinder law abiding citizens.

I finally found the exact pistol (Mfg, Model, Caliber) I've been searching for, used, in great shape, and $500 less than new. But it sits and I watch hoping it doesn't get sold while some pencil pusher in the gooberment searches and searches trying to find some reason to deny me this right. (They won't find anything!) Just pisses me off to no end.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I'm in no way cool with it, it's a stupid law by the gun grabbers that will have no bearing on any agenda but to hinder law abiding citizens.

I finally found the exact pistol (Mfg, Model, Caliber) I've been searching for, used, in great shape, and $500 less than new. But it sits and I watch hoping it doesn't get sold while some pencil pusher in the gooberment searches and searches trying to find some reason to deny me this right. (They won't find anything!) Just pisses me off to no end.

Is it an online auction your watching?

Like Mr.Swinokur mentioned, if it's a local IP here, they may allow your to purchase, or maybe put a down payment to hold it until you get your card?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even if it's an online auction, perhaps a MD FFL can be found who will hold the firearm until it's approved. Nothing illegal AFAIK for the firearm to be sent to the FFL. It just cannot be transferred to you until it's on the roster.

IANAL.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    What course of action would be needed/possible if the MSP misses their 30-day limit to approve/deny? Would they deny just to meet the 30-day law, then what?

I'm a pessimist at heart. So I'm here in this process because I've never had the pleasure of buying a gun or working with an FFL and I'm trying to follow their rules.

The gun I'm looking at is in an out-of-state retail store. If I purchase/deposit, they send it to a FFL and the MSP starts to screw around, I could be in bureaucratic limbo for how long?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Those are the same 3 that have been incomplete on mine for over 3 weeks now.

The web site is open over the weekend for submissions, but no processing is done.

What course of action would be needed/possible if the MSP misses their 30-day limit to approve/deny? Would they deny just to meet the 30-day law, then what?

I'm a pessimist at heart. So I'm here in this process because I've never had the pleasure of buying a gun or working with an FFL and I'm trying to follow their rules.

The gun I'm looking at is in an out-of-state retail store. If I purchase/deposit, they send it to a FFL and the MSP starts to screw around, I could be in bureaucratic limbo for how long?

The NICS, CJIS, and JIS are still incomplete... I find this extremely odd. The CJIS (I thought) was related to the fingerprint check. Did you get the letter back with the all-clear (Dept Public Safety Correctional Services letterhead)?

Did you double check the small stuff. like that the CJIS tracking # from the fingerprint scan matches the one on the app (no typos)?

If you got the letter, and the tracking # matches, whats up with the CJIS being incomplete?

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    The NICS, CJIS, and JIS are still incomplete... I find this extremely odd. The CJIS (I thought) was related to the fingerprint check. Did you get the letter back with the all-clear (Dept Public Safety Correctional Services letterhead)?

Did you double check the small stuff. like that the CJIS tracking # from the fingerprint scan matches the one on the app (no typos)?

If you got the letter, and the tracking # matches, whats up with the CJIS being incomplete?

Is the tracking # supposed to go in there? I thought it had asked for the transaction control # which is what I had entered in. I'm curious because my CJIS also shows as incomplete.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    My application was completed by the training center and certified as being correct. I received the letter on the MD background check within 2 days of the application, but there's been no other activity on the status in the past 21 days since then. If there was something obviously wrong, I would hope I would have been contacted for explanation/verification, but nothing other than being told to wait the 30-days...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Is the tracking # supposed to go in there? I thought it had asked for the transaction control # which is what I had entered in. I'm curious because my CJIS also shows as incomplete.

hmmm CJIS tracking number vs transaction control no.

On the Certificate from Maryland Livescan, mine says "CJIS Tracking Number" and "date," the fingerprint technician wrote a 12 digit # in there. On the letter I got from the Dept Public Safety, top left, there is a bar code, and the first twelve #s above the bar code match the "CJIS Tracking Number" ( followed by a "-4").

I cannot recall what the box on the application says offhand, and I can no longer pull it up. I have a vague memory it was confusingly labeled. But, if you entered in the # on your fingerprint receipt that technician wrote, and that matches the letter, you should be ok. if not...

My application was completed by the training center and certified as being correct. I received the letter on the MD background check within 2 days of the application, but there's been no other activity on the status in the past 21 days since then. If there was something obviously wrong, I would hope I would have been contacted for explanation/verification, but nothing other than being told to wait the 30-days...

Unfortunately, sounds like its sitting on someones desk somewhere... and will be approved at the last minute. :(

Either that or you are under 30 and the Juv records are taking forever.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

On the Certificate from Maryland Livescan, mine says "CJIS Tracking Number" and "date," the fingerprint technician wrote a 12 digit # in there. On the letter I got from the Dept Public Safety, top left, there is a bar code, and the first twelve #s above the bar code match the "CJIS Tracking Number" ( followed by a "-4").

I cannot recall what the box on the application says offhand, and I can no longer pull it up. I have a vague memory it was confusingly labeled. But, if you entered in the # on your fingerprint receipt that technician wrote, and that matches the letter, you should be ok. if not...

Unfortunately, sounds like its sitting on someones desk somewhere... and will be approved at the last minute. :(

I'm 99% sure the box said ctrl # which is why I entered it in. The control # I entered started with YZ then the number. On my form I have both numbers which are totally different, control/tracking....

I emailed MSP to get clarification if I entered the correct number or not. Hopefully I get a timely response and don't have to do the prints over again for another 50 bucks....I will probably call in the morning too
    /sigh

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky

I wasn't under 30, 30 years ago ;)

Still annoying that they're running me out to 30-days, and even skeptical now that approval will even come or they'll just let it run past 30-days with a "what can you do to us" attitude...

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 6.11.43 PM.jpg

Last edited:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

I got a very prompt response back from msp at 7:35 this morning.

It says in the email that "the "livescan" portion on the check off list is your fingerprints and is complete. The other incomplete areas are still under review."

So at least I didn't mess up the code, wew I was worried I cost myself another 50 bucks. :rolleyes:

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    how do you even get to the page that lists all those checklist items?

all I get when I log in, is the page that has :license hql exempt and pending on the license number and the license status.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    how do you even get to the page that lists all those checklist items?

all I get when I log in, is the page that has :license hql exempt and pending on the license number and the license status.

small button in the middle of the page says "view checklist"

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    My neighbor, who took the training and submitted app with me, finally went active today.

Application 7/26
    Active 8/20
    HQL 0106xx

So thats ~500 more since the last number posted here on 7/29. (500 in 16 work days is over 31 per day). Guess i shouldnt be so grumpy, but I'm still pending and thus still grumpy after 25 days and counting.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    You can finally stop hearing me whine

Application: 7/26
    Active: 8/22 (27days!)
    HQL: 0108xx
    Card received: 8/28

My Sig P226 is already on its way... Or is it...

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    HQL count estimates for FY 2014:

~ 4300 (10/1/13 - 12/31/13)
    ~ 9800 (1/1/14 - 6/30/14)

Totals: ~14,100

Rut roh, the budget estimate was for 65,990. .

(My estimate (back in February) was 12,442....). Which was a heck of a lot closer.

Wonder how they're going to make that up?

More than 50,000 hql's less at $50 each is a >$2.5 M shortfall on HQL fees.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom