• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I understand most of the laws, but need some clarification on this...
    Can a "pre-October" stripped lower which currently has an HBAR barrel be legally swapped to accommodate a "pencil barrel"? (it originally had a "pencil barrel"on the first build) I know that new lowers can only receive an HBAR or pistol configuration.
    I'm considering buying a new stripped lower and making that my HBAR- reserving the pre-ban lower for a future "pencil barrel project". The existing pre-ban lower was purchased and transferred stripped and was then assembled with a "pencil barrel".
    I know there a considerations about "once a rifle always a rifle" concerning pistol builds, but don't know about HBAR vs. "pencil barrels" on stripped lower purchases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pre-Oct 1, 2013, you are free to do what you want.

Although MSP has told BATFE that even if it was a pre-ban lower, it cannot be a <29" SBR. Which makes no sense.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Pre-Oct 1, 2013, you are free to do what you want.

Although MSP has told BATFE that even if it was a pre-ban lower, it cannot be a <29" SBR. Which makes no sense.

I believe MSP has clarified the issue with BATFE, BATFE was looking at the handgun roster and using that originally to deny Form 1s.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They were also denying ANY SBR or even some machine gns for being under 29".

AFAIK, they have gotten that straightened out, at least for now.

Mr H

Banana'd
    A lower that was transferred as "rifle", or one transferred as "other" that was made into a rifle, cannot be made into a pistol (Fed regs, IIRC).

At this point, I'm really fuzzy on whether pre-Oct13 even figures in to it any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom