How to safeguard firearms from a divorce in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If this is still in the future , proceede along Mooseman's concept.

If it's going to happen no matter what , be the Firstest , the meanist lawyer.

But the moral of the story , to avoid having problems with anti-gun wives , is to settle the matter when they are girlfriends.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Sorry to hear about your predicament. As many have said talk to a lawyer fast. Secondly, I would buy a good safe, rent an indoor climate controlled storage unit and have the monthly bill or credit card debit sent to your office or a friend's. Get a card in your name only and do the same with the monthly bills for the unit. Under no circumstances let her know about this unit. We all know in this day and age all she has to do is file a false police report that you threatened her and the cops will take your guns, usually never to be seen again. If I had the space you'd be welcome to store them with me. Perhaps you know someone who will do that for you. I'd draw up a legal document for your protection with whoever stores them though, and the trust thing may be a good idea but IANAL.

The trust is worthless.

As far as renting a storage space, it really does not make financial sense unless the collection is worth a decent amount of money or the collection is irreplaceable. Not going back to read the OP, but if memory serves me correctly there was nothing in the collection that was extremely expensive or rare. Now, whether something is a heirloom has not been discussed.

End of the day, in a nasty divorce there is plenty of discovery that goes on. Get caught lying and things get worse.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    She cannot touch this computer I am on. She can barely figure out how to turn hers on. This computer was company issued, and they don't care about me going on gun sites. Most of my pics and stuff are on little SD cards. If she tried to legally get to this computer, it would be wiped before her lawyer could apologize to out companies lawyer. Just strange the thing I bought to protect them in a horrific event are not the things she despises most. Maybe because I enjoy them, I don't know. My car is going too. I guess she's looking to crush and remaining source of joy. :sad20:

Yeah, it sounds like this relationship is beyond repair and the two of you might be getting nasty about stuff. Have to sit back and wonder why she is doing this. If she really doesn't want you to have any more fun with your guns and care, why is that?

Regardless, good luck with the situation.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    She cannot touch this computer I am on. She can barely figure out how to turn hers on. This computer was company issued, and they don't care about me going on gun sites. Most of my pics and stuff are on little SD cards. If she tried to legally get to this computer, it would be wiped before her lawyer could apologize to out companies lawyer. Just strange the thing I bought to protect them in a horrific event are not the things she despises most. Maybe because I enjoy them, I don't know. My car is going too. I guess she's looking to crush and remaining source of joy. :sad20:

That sucks, man. Best of luck. People can become extremely spiteful during a divorce.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law divorced a few years ago and she really took him for all he was worth. A lot of it was just to be mean. I HATED the dude, but by the time she was done with him I really felt bad for the guy.

Feb 28, 2013
    That sucks, man. Best of luck. People can become extremely spiteful during a divorce.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law divorced a few years ago and she really took him for all he was worth. A lot of it was just to be mean. I HATED the dude, but by the time she was done with him I really felt bad for the guy.

More proof that women can't be trusted.:sad20:

The moral of the story is, don't marry.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, my wife is become as anti gun as much as I have become pro gun. She resents the fact that I have bought some guns, nothing too expensive, not a super high number compared to some members/collectors. I have a few Mosins, 2 Mausers, and Enfield, Vepr, and 2 SKSs, a Mossberg 500 and a few pistols. My intent was to hand some down to our kinds when they are of age and responsible enough to own them. My question is, she wants me to get rid of them, I assume for money. I may sell a couple but not all. How can I protect them? Should I put them in a trust? What would protect them from seizure or judicial judgment of property in a divorce? I am certainly not going after her shoe collection. This is new to me, and I'm still in shock, so any suggestions on how to safeguard them would be appreciated. I am planning to move them to another location soon. I have not threatened her, with or without firearms, and while emotional, I have been careful not to say anything that could be interpreted as a threat or insanity for the obvious reasons. The guns seem to be a sore point for her for some reason. Figures, the things I acquired to protect her and my kids she resents. Maybe I'll ask for her seat belts in the divorce to be fair.

Get a lawyer, right away. You should be able to arrive at a mediation agreement in which the value of the firearms and the ownership is taken into account in a general allocation of all the property. Otherwise, if she litigates, the leverage you have over her and she has over you is that you both can force the sale of all marital property (that is property acquired during the marriage). If your firearms were acquired before the marriage they should be deemed your separate property and not subject to the divorce court's equity jurisdiction. Litigating will be hell and very expensive. Mediation is the way to go. And for God's sake do nothing that could be used by her to get a protective order.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You know where my house is. $5 each. Indefinite storage time. And buy me back for the same price.

This is in writing so it can be used in court.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Instead of prepping for the big event, work on the marriage instead. If half the people that divorced put as much effort into working it out then "prepping" it would result in fewer divorces.

I recommend a movie called "fireproof" and the book that goes along with it.

You each chose to love each other before.....

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Sorry to hear about the relationship.

Instead of prepping for the big event, work on the marriage instead. If half the people that divorced put as much effort into working it out then "prepping" it would result in fewer divorces.

Not always, have a friend who had 2 kids and was against having a 3rd, wife stopped taking the pill on purpose and did not tell him. She wound up pregnant and he is in the process of a divorce. Can't blame him for that, huge decision both financially and emotionally made against his will. The worst part is the kids....they are always innocent but always suffer in some capacity.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Women can be some crazy b*tches when they feel they have been wronged. I'd sell to a close friend and then buy back after it's all settled. This will also help in the event her lawyer advises her to take a protective order out against you so that she will have more to present in court. If you don't think that happens i can guarantee you it does. I've seen it happen all the time in child custody cases.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry to hear about the relationship.

Not always, have a friend who had 2 kids and was against having a 3rd, wife stopped taking the pill on purpose and did not tell him. She wound up pregnant and he is in the process of a divorce. Can't blame him for that, huge decision both financially and emotionally made against his will. The worst part is the kids....they are always innocent but always suffer in some capacity.

Yeah, the deceit would kill me. My wife knows that trust is my big thing in any relationship. When I find somebody lying to me about anything more than a white lie, then it becomes very hard for me to deal with them.

My wife and I talked about how many kids we wanted before we got married and we both agreed on 4. After having 3, we have both come to the mutual conclusion that 3 is more than enough.

I know couples that argue over how many kids to have and it is really one heck of an issue. I don't think there is anything more involved in a relationship than having kids, both from a monetary and time perspective. Kids require a lot of both.

Then, there are the people that have kids thinking that a kid will save the marriage. They find out pretty quickly that kids only add additional stress to an already bad situation.

With that said, I think the vast majority of divorces are because one or both parties stop paying attention to the other for one reason or another.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Buy a safe, keep guns in the safe at your place or another. Out of sight out of mind. Then if you want the marriage to work seek counseling. Guns are just tools, no different then a hammer.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sounds like the marriage is beyond repair so "sell" the guns to a close and trusted friend and get them back after the dirt has settled.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Not sure how much $$ you have in your gun collection but the guns can all be replaced. Well, except for things now banned in MD. Those are the items I'd try to store at a friends house.
    If the marriage really can't be saved my only advice would be to get it over with and move on with life. Life is too short to be miserable in your own home.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member

I recommend a movie called "Fireproof" and the book that goes along with it.

You each choose to love each other before.....

:thumbsup: 100% agreement here and I'm normally the one who rolls his eyes about self-help-type stuff. As a sidebar, though, I feel it necessary to disclose the underlying Christian message throughout which I personally agree with. Some folks, however, (and making no judgement relative to this particular case) are simply not ready or willing to hear ANYTHING with even a hint of Christianity attached. Others, like myself, were more willing to be open-minded about it...but only during my darkest hour. Unless something has transpired that irrevocably proves your mate is truly an unsalvageable person without even a shred of humanity intact, this may indeed be just such an appropriate hour and an opportunity for salvation may be at hand. My prayers go with the OP and his family and should he(you) decide to give jpo183's suggestion a whirl, PM me and I'll scrounge up a copy of both from my church, where my wife and I read and watched 'em in lieu of bible class on a couple Sundays past.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Sorry for your troubles Sirex. I've been through a divorce and they just plain suck. Mine was somewhat amicable but I still wanted to leave this world. In the end, it's only stuff and stuff is replaceable. If your marriage is over and she wants to hurt you, just give her the stuff. She can't harm you if you aren't concerned with the stuff. The kiddos are far more important. (I've learned this lesson the hard way!)

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

:thumbsup: When we make the promise 'For better and for worse' we need to remember that the 'worse' part is temporary and it will pass.

There is a very false statistic out there that 50% of the marriages end in divorce. That is true only for a specific demographic. In general 70%-80% of marriages do not end in divorce.

The Myth of the High Rate of Divorce

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You know where my house is. $5 each. Indefinite storage time. And buy me back for the same price.

This is in writing so it can be used in court.

I know you mean well, but this is not good advice. If you and the OP actually did this and the divorce was contested once the judge saw what you guys did with the firearms he would simply count the property as still being owned by the OP and an asset. "So you sold your friend $10k worth of firearms for $50 is that right? uh huh, ok sure....".

He might let the sale stand but the OP would still be paying his ex as if this was community property. You can't hide assets and engage in monkey business like this and expect to get away with it.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Many here have given the excellent advice to 'lawyer up'.

May I add - it seems that the problem is much deeper. Have you considered getting her mental health counseling? It seems as if she is in some kind of crisis and dire need of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom