• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    A lot of out of state dealers have just made a simple business decision not to sell to MD or MD residents because the laws are so convoluted. Some large distributors won't sell certain items to MD FFLs, again, just because the laws are so confusing.

They figure the cost for their legal dept to figure it all out, and the potential liability, is more then they would actually profit if they made the sales, so we get cut off.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    I stopped by Clark Brothers Gun Shop in Warrenton, Virginia. If you haven't been there it is a great store. After looking at several items I mentioned I was a Maryland resident. The clerk told me that they could not sell me anything, no guns, ammo, mags, or anything that you could put on or in a gun except a scope. This was due to the new Maryland law.
    I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. I looked a few more guns and left. I didn't argue because it was his store and if their policy is not to sell to Maryland residents I knew that I wasn't going to change his mind.
    Has anyone had a like experience?

Wonder if he just did not know the law. Personally I could care less what the law is in another state if someone is in a free state. He should be the same, but Virginia is heading the way of Maryland and Delaware, and Florida.

Yankees and the liberals came and the place will never be the same.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So, to push the analogy to the extreme for illustration purposes only;

So long as I purchase the receiver in my state of legal residence, I can mail order, purchase, and receive everything else (except magazines over 10 rounds) as individual parts and assemble a functional and legal handgun.

That is not clear from the law, and you may be the test case. Unless you assemble the pistol outside the state.

Simple possession of the receiver could end up with you arrested and in court.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    That is not clear from the law, and you may be the test case. Unless you assemble the pistol outside the state.

Simple possession of the receiver could end up with you arrested and in court.

Huh?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

If you do the paperwork and have the lower, what is the issue?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it was purchased outside the state after 10/1/13, the lower is not legal. Once assembled into a pistol, then you could bring it into the state.

However, this seems to be changing as we speak. But it could still put you in a grey area, as MD is requiring a Form 77R for purchase.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    If it was purchased outside the state after 10/1/13, the lower is not legal. Once assembled into a pistol, then you could bring it into the state.

However, this seems to be changing as we speak. But it could still put you in a grey area, as MD is requiring a Form 77R for purchase.

I thought the question was on lowers purchased in state.

When I purchased my lowers last year I had to fill out 77R; so I don't see that as unusual.

My purchases were before 1Oct13 though...

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    There are plenty of shops in VA that actually enjoy selling standard capacity mags to MD residents. Sharpshooters, VA Arms, and Loudoun guns are a few of them.

+1 on Loudon Guns. Got my 33 round Glock mags there and a bunch of other stuff.. Good service. They also have a FB page.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I thought the question was on lowers purchased in state.

When I purchased my lowers last year I had to fill out 77R; so I don't see that as unusual.

My purchases were before 1Oct13 though...

Pre-Oct 1 lowers are fine. You can do what you want with them, subject to Federal laws (no SBR without a stamp and no pistol if it has ever been assembled as a rifle (stock)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom