• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    1. We all know that carry permits for firearms are severely restricted in MD.
    2. We all know the state has preemption of local laws regarding firearms.
    3. We all know that air guns are not considered firearms and therefore are regulated on a county and local basis.
    4. I have seen numerous threads on when, where and how one is permitted to discharge an air gun.
    5. I have not seen any restrictions on concealed carry of an air gun.

Am I correct to assume that anywhere I am permitted to discharge an air gun I am also permitted to concealed carry same?

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    If there is not a law saying you can't do something, it's legal to do so.

Just a question though.

What type of air gun ( pistol I'm assuming ) would you carry?

Most CO2 air guns may have 400 FPS, may not break the skin.

Or are you wanting to carry for intimidation purposes, to where you may be introduced to someone carrying a real firearm or edged weapon.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    1. We all know that carry permits for firearms are severely restricted in MD.
    2. We all know the state has preemption of local laws regarding firearms.
    3. We all know that air guns are not considered firearms and therefore are regulated on a county and local basis.
    4. I have seen numerous threads on when, where and how one is permitted to discharge an air gun.
    5. I have not seen any restrictions on concealed carry of an air gun.

Am I correct to assume that anywhere I am permitted to discharge an air gun I am also permitted to concealed carry same?

I believe you are correct.

A few things to consider:
    - finding and interpreting all the local laws will be very challenging and time consuming. If you do it, let me know.
    - knowing all of the relevant laws and regulations as you move about the state would be near impossible
    - just because something might be legal, you are still subject to being detained by the police
    - Preemption for 'real gun' laws has been a very helpful thing here in Maryland, making it much simpler to understand (as confusing as things already are at least there is only one state-wide standard*.
    - an air-gun makes a terrible weapon, in a true lethal force situation. There are some modern high powered and high caliber air-guns that would be better; still not rapid fire, require much more maintenance
    - if you can't legally carry a firearm, consider a Taser, or pepper-spray (Kimber makes a good 'pepper-blaster').
    - training and good judgement are more important than what you carry, but once that's taken care of - everyone realizes that any tool that could be used defensively is better than nothing.

*-there is a tiny exception to this
    P.s. I'm not a lawyer

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...training and good judgement are more important that what you carry, but once that's taken care of - everyone realizes that any tool that could be used defensively is better than nothing.

Emphasis added. That is the best piece of advice I've seen so far. Please don't do something dumb (yes, dumb). CC an air gun will not end well for you eventually.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Just organizing the rules in my head. Wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything. I generally go out in the woods to use my air pistol, wanted to be sure I wasn't accidentally breaking any rules by putting it in my backpack.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If the only reason you'd carry a concealed air gun is because you could, then you should not.

If you're considering carrying for any kind of self defense, DON'T. That would be patently stupid.

Just one fella's strong opinion.

This.

Also, while it may not be illegal to carry an air gun, it could still result in a Man With a Gun 911 call (MWAG).

There are laws against carrying "dangerous weapons", too and you could run afoul of those.

There was a former member called Novus Collectus (aka "He Who Must Not Be Named") who thought he had deep insight into the law, and who frequently posted about carrying antique handguns for defense.

Eventually, he got pwned by a real lawyer, and I saved the thread.

It may have bearing on your question.

Answer to CCW antique pistol

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Just organizing the rules in my head. Wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything. I generally go out in the woods to use my air pistol, wanted to be sure I wasn't accidentally breaking any rules by putting it in my backpack.

This whole thread probably would have been better if this was the text of post #1

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I think you you would be better off walking up with your left foot forward and place your right hand slightly back on your hip to give the illusion you are carrying a gun then you would be to actually carry an airgun. JMO.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    It may have bearing on your question.

Answer to CCW antique pistol

So, according to the link above, if I were to strap it into a holster loaded and make it immediately available, I have demonstrated my intent to use it as a dangerous weapon. However, IMHO, if I toss it into the bottom of a backpack unloaded under a spare sweater, a bottle of water and a box of granona bars, the intent has not been satisfied. Thanks for the link. FYI, I was indeed considering putting it in a holster, but only for convenience. That convenience cetainly isn't worth the risk to my liberty. In the backpack is just fine, and what I have always done anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom