• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • attila.

May 18, 2013
    Hi everyone!

I'd like to form a trust and see that Silencershop.com offers one for $130. It was drafted by an attorney and they haven't had any complaints about it not working in any of the 50 states.

Has anyone used this successfully in MD? Has anyone had a MD guntrust attorney review it for compliance with state law?

I ask, because, I don't like the idea of spending $600 on a trust if I can achieve the same end result for $130. It just seems silly to pay $600 for a trust, and $200 for the stamp for an $800 suppressor ($1600), if I can achieve the same for $1130.

BUT,

I understand that a non-compliant trust could result in my stamps being revoked, leaving me in possession of unapproved class 3 items. That is why I am asking these questions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, I wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday season!

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No offense, but if you want to go the cheap route, don't use a trust at all. Would you trust (no pun intended) a generic trust form drawn up by a lawyer not licensed in MD? Check with Rusty Shackleford (he's an IP here on the forum) for a trust.
    Do you really want to risk something happening later and screwing yourself because you tried to save a couple hundred dollars?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    No offense, but if you want to go the cheap route, don't use a trust at all. Would you trust (no pun intended) a generic trust form drawn up by a lawyer not licensed in MD? Check with Rusty Shackleford (he's an IP here on the forum) for a trust.
    Do you really want to risk something happening later and screwing yourself because you tried to save a couple hundred dollars?

Ditto! MD trust law is different then some other states and must be done properly. If you're getting an NFA trust in MD, get it done by someone who's an expert in that field, Rusty being one of them.

BTW, I know it depends on the complexity of the trust, but what is Rusty charging these days?

Plus, with the possible new regulations/requirements on NFA trusts that could be implemented in the next few months, sooner the better. Get your toys now!

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    Attila - when "investing" in NFA items, it turns into an expensive ordeal. Buy one, you want 3 more! When considering the various routes you can take to acquire NFA items, I would not suggest shortchanging yourself when it comes to one of the most important parts - compliance with your local, state, Federal laws. I am sure that you can pay $600+ for a drafted and compliant trust, but there are multiple other sources that can get you what you need. I personally would not want to bet my backdoor virginity on an iffy trust...it is just not worth it (not to imply that there is anything wrong with a trust from Silencershop.com - I do not know anything about their services).
    I do not know your location, but if you are in Maryland, I too would recommend Rusty (as many have utilized his services). I just rcvd my first approved tax stamp 12/20... The BATF seemed to be fine with the submitted trust.... Either way - good luck to you

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    +1 on using an IP here. They support MDS (and us) and you get a MD legal document.

Rusty can get it deone for you.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Well, I would have to say, with a trust there are 2 ways to go:
    1. The cheap way - you grab MDS template, put your info and don't pay anything.
    2. You go with law firm and do everything "the right way".

Sorry, I don't see the point in going with "half solution".

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Plus, I also used a cover letter when doing mail submissions (just for good measure), and it was always nice stating, that if you (ATF) have any problems with the trust, then call my lawyer. It's a good feeling, a nice way of saying FU.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Hi everyone!

I'd like to form a trust and see that Silencershop.com offers one for $130. It was drafted by an attorney and they haven't had any complaints about it not working in any of the 50 states.

Has anyone used this successfully in MD? Has anyone had a MD guntrust attorney review it for compliance with state law?

I ask, because, I don't like the idea of spending $600 on a trust if I can achieve the same end result for $130. It just seems silly to pay $600 for a trust, and $200 for the stamp for an $800 suppressor ($1600), if I can achieve the same for $1130.

BUT,

I understand that a non-compliant trust could result in my stamps being revoked, leaving me in possession of unapproved class 3 items. That is why I am asking these questions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, I wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday season!

Pay $300 (or less) and have one drafted by a local attorney who will answer all your questions and be there if a problem arises. Don't cheap out on your trust - the ATF mailing you a stamp is no endorsement.

attila.

May 18, 2013
    Thank you everyone for the replies! This all confirms my worry about generic trusts was not misplaced. Rusty has been recommended on multiple occasions through my discussions. The most recent additions to the list of potentials are the Bay Law firm and Brittany from Stouffer MD Estate Planning. But, since I have actually spoken with Rusty, I think I'll go that route. His price sounds pretty reasonable, and it's low hassle.

Oh and sorry for the late response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom