• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    With ammo, optics, bipods, and support gear. You're talking 20-25 pounds of guns alone. Plus body armor, comms, life support gear, pistol and mags, navigation equipment, 2 primary lights and 1 specialty light, food, shelter equipment.

Honestly for a guerilla set up the best bet would be a Colt LE901 with a 20" barrel 15" handguard, QD suppressor and a 14.5" M4 style upper.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Why not a bolt gun?? And carry an M4 style carbine as a backup??? Or is that too my much weight??

I tried to do the call of duty load. Not gonna happen. Can not move without a tactical wheelbarrow. Can't even lug that stuff from the parking lot to the firing line without being short of breath.

It will be an accurized battle rifle and a pistol.

No m4s. Everyone already has one. I'm not fighting fair. If it comes to that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 251

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No. No, digital is not competitive with gen 2. You should cancel your order. For $800 you are 2/3 of the way to a pvs4, a real military scope with amazing lenes and built to handle 308 recoil. you're at half the price of a used pvs14 gen 3 which would make you really regret buying digital.

Digital is almost completely useless without a full to half moon, in an open field, and in those conditions you can see almost as well with your naked eye. under tree cover or a cloudy moonless sky, you need supplimental illumination and performance will be on par with gen 1 or less.
    Suggest you research the X-Sight further. The imagery coming from the sample sights is phenomenal for digital. Plus, it's magnified. Also, works both day and night.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I took Chad's Suggestion from a thread a long time ago and built an LR-308 variant, that matches your criteria. I'm not sure I'm capable of sub-moa, but the gun probably is. I don't get to shoot it much given range limitations.

Black Rain Ordnance Upper/Lower
    16" Rainier UltraMatch
    Timney Trigger

Attachments

• lr-308.jpg
      lr-308.jpg
      143.5 KB · Views: 237

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I'm limiting it to 308/7.62. The Overwatch rifle should also double as a combat rifle if need be. The magnum cartridges are a bit too overpowered for that application.

No m4s. Everyone already has one. I'm not fighting fair. If it comes to that.

I'm coming to this party late, and I will be a little contrary...

Have you considered 6.5G in this role? At "overwatch" range, it can equal or exceed .308W in external ballistics and energy. As a combat rifle, it's easier to handle than a .308W. And the package will be a couple pounds lighter! That's a big deal IMO. It will be less expensive to build also.

Ammo is, of course, the issue... but that is getting better every day. And, frankly, for the kind of ammo that will be accurate out past 500 yards, there really isn't much of a price difference.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Suggest you research the X-Sight further. The imagery coming from the sample sights is phenomenal for digital. Plus, it's magnified. Also, works both day and night.

I bought one anyway... The price was too good pass up. (5-18x)

If it doesnt work out well, it will be for hog hunts exclusively.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    GA Precision GAP10 in 6.5 Creed if you want to buy ammo, or for a little better performance if you're are willing to reload the 6mm Creed. They both have better ballistics and lighter recoil than the .308.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Have you considered 6.5G in this role? At "overwatch" range, it can equal or exceed .308W in external ballistics and energy. As a combat rifle, it's easier to handle than a .308W. And the package will be a couple pounds lighter! That's a big deal IMO. It will be less expensive to build also.

Ammo is, of course, the issue... but that is getting better every day. And, frankly, for the kind of ammo that will be accurate out past 500 yards, there really isn't much of a price difference.

6.5G is optimized for barrel lengths 22" and up.

Barrels are ranging from $399 to $700. SCAR doesn't reload, and it's still easier to find .308/7.62x51 on the shelf than 6.5G.

Not to mention plenty of optics and ballistic charts available for the .308/7.62x51 - and it'll mean less ammo types to keep on hand for SCAR in an emergency situation.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

That is the one issue everyone overlooks with their X hits the fan scenarios, I believe. If we ever have to get out of Dodge we are going to take the 9mm, 45acp, 5.556 amd 12 gague. You are more likely to be able to scrounge up these calibers. However, if I am going through a city I will be sure to pack my for-tay!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Scar APEX gun parts has some used PVS 14s. By the description used by a PMC in durka durka stan. So anti Jihad tested anti Jihad approved.

their pvs and ps 14's are export approved, that means that they have lower quality tubes suitable for use by foreign nationals. Gen 3 with low resolution and low specs. for the price, better to get a gen 3 device that isnt export approved.

but the gen 2's they have for $400 are a good buy. almost so cheap you can't go wrong, and should make fine dedicated rifle optics behind a forward mounted dot.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

I took your advice. the first place I researched was ATN's website. Their "example" night image is the same day light picture of a wolf that's been photoshopped green that they have been using for years.

the next place I checked was a review video atn posted of a reviewer from the uk, where they dont have lots of gen3 devices to compare to. digital is very popular in the uk, with lots of homebrew setups. in fact a uk forum is my go to resource for diy illuminators. they make good diy flashlights, they need to because digital is so dependent. non passive.
    back to the topic. their "night" test location was a tunnel. using a strong illuminator they shot some video of a stuffed fox from a few feet away. but they were completely dependant on a illuminator, one that would light your position up like a beacon to anyone else using night vision, and illuminators have been know to spook game animals. i once had a house cat attack me when I turned one on, it jumped into the air and went for my face (illuminator on my micro). some swear deer and hogs can see them too.

the last place I checked was a video atn made themselves. http://youtu.be/dIHWOS3aoP4
    1/4 moon and using a seperate illuminator. i'm not impressed.

one really tricky thing about digital systems, their video out can be decievingly better than their through the viewfinder images. And one major problem with ATN is their habit of discontinuing their proprietary devices after a few years. break your 4 or 5 year old ATN scope and you may very well be s.o.l. for spare parts and forget about non factory repairmen. Whereas with an AN/PVS anything spare parts abound, and some of the best repairmen amd experts in the country live within 2 hours of baltimore city. pvs14, 15, 7, 4, anvis 6 or 9, all have spare parts still available and easily found. Many other devices sentinels/pitbulls/micros/bnvd's use many milspec parts like switches and lenses, making them much more easy to repair and futureproof.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Plenty ambient light in urban settings:thumbsup:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Can you still buy night vision stuff?

Or did the sissies declare that off-limits to us peasants?:rolleyes:

Short answer yes.

long answer, the latest and greatest is usually restricted either by the manufacturers or the gov to gov sales only, at least while it remains the latest and greatest. even if it weren't the price is typically prohibitive anyways.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Not if SHTF. May not be power.

exactly. During the last hurricane when power was out everywhere I went outside to test my equipment without the normal ambient light. huge difference.

while I was out there a light came on. it looked like it was illuminating several acres under nods. I was shocked and thought someone turned on a spotlight. it was actually the 15 watt bulbs in my neighbor's car taillights. he was sitting in there charging his phone.

Scar, if you're ever in harford county at night we can meet somewhere and you can try them out.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    I see you had the FAL on your initial list. Being that was the one that got away from me before last Oct., is there anyway to still get one in this state? Sorry about jacking the thread, me just want one so bad!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The great battle rifles ( FAL,G3, M1A) have been banned by the idiots in charge. We can only reminisce about the good old days in marylandistan.

I missed out on a psg-1. Still kicking myself for that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I see you had the FAL on your initial list. Being that was the one that got away from me before last Oct., is there anyway to still get one in this state? Sorry about jacking the thread, me just want one so bad!

Get it on the handgun roster (as a pistol, of course) then make it a SBR. Duffy's and a few other IPs have some neat things going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom