• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just ground up the rest of my deer meat this weekend....come on September!

Surprisingly we still have some venison left from last season its not a lot though...so thats not going to stop me from hunting...:D

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Saw 2 real nice bucks in velvet on the back field last night.. I really need a good camera.

We finished the big doe I shot late last season by April.. lol
    I did grind up most of the front shoulders into sausage by adding some side meat and back fat from a pig we slaughtered last year. Added some sage and other spices and it was amazing. Can't wait to make more..

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Its not uncommon for me to have a shooting opportunity the first 10 hunts of the season starting opening day. I have killed both of my bucks 138" and 148" on opening day of bow 2012 and 2013.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Early season is nice since the pressure hasn't been on them. Some of the best hunting all year. Almost rivals the rut.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I am certainly considering it, I hunt right off my driveway so I don't have much excuse not to...

Been scouting the last few days and did a bit of path adjusting today. I have a ton of Japanese Barberry I've been killing off but have left it alone along the deer paths I like.

Need to get some corn soon to start bringing them through more often.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    If anyone here is interested, I'm a dealer for an organic feed called chaffhaye. It's alfalfa misted with molasses. We feed it to all of our livestock and I knew that it's marketed to deer people, so I started setting it out around the farm and the deer seem to really like it.

Did a bit of digging and it's got what the deer need for big growth. I sell it by the pallet or bag. Gonna start putting it out in heavier ammounts as sept gets closer.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Anyone actual start hunting in Sept. It seems almost too hot to do it.

I am behind on my explorations. I just moved and I ill probably be hunting Green Briar / Appalachian Trial area this year.

Absolutely! On our small parcel of woods, the deer are everywhere! Have seen some really nice bucks in the mornings while I am making breakfast before work and looking out the kitchen window. As of today, 44 days until bow season. But who is counting?

Early season has its own special charm but as others have noted, get them skinned and quartered and buried in ice ASAP and hunt early and late! They still are in velvet and they still are in their summer patterns. Go get 'em! Oh, and get your Thermacell refills ready to go! You are gonna need 'em!

Chris

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I hate early season hunting....I don't care what I do as far as spraying down with repellent, I get eaten by chiggers and deer ticks.

have you tried the Repel for clothing? you dont spray it on your skin just clothes the night before and then let it dry.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Permanone

treat every single bit of hunting clothing with permanone and there will not be a bug problem. chigger wont live long enough to make it to your socks much less a leg or groin.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    The active ingredient is Permethrin, which is really good stuff but Permanone is an expensive way to get it. Pemethrin can be purchased online typically for about $15 - $20 per quart, and a quart makes up to 2 gallons of solution after being mixed according to directions. I mix it in a spray bottle and use it for hunting and outdoor clothes, also spray it on my camping tent and it keeps bugs off of it as well.

Permanone

treat every single bit of hunting clothing with permanone and there will not be a bug problem. chigger wont live long enough to make it to your socks much less a leg or groin.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Permethrin is great, but it only works on arthropods like spiders and ticks.

Deet is needed for chiggers, mosquitos, and urrthang else.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Permethrin is great, but it only works on arthropods like spiders and ticks.

Deet is needed for chiggers, mosquitos, and urrthang else.

Chiggers are a type of arthropod and belong in the same class as ticks , so permethrin should work on them. For Mosquitos use a thermacell.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Last year was my first hunting early bow since I had to get one early in the year (baby was due mid-September). I've never seen so many deer while hunting. They're still in their summer patterns. I had to get it gutted, skinned, etc. quick but it was worth it. I'm ready for September. We still have a bunch of burger but no more backstraps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom