• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I am almost ready to start reloading for .223. My son counted the brass cases that came in the mail today and when he was done he turned to me and said "Daddy, can we go downstairs and get started on this?" Had to tell him I didn't have the right dies for it, and he asked me what dies are. Turned into a long conversation.

So, up to now, I have been using RCBS X-Sizer dies in my RCBS Rockchucker. However, if I get into all this handgun and AR shooting, I am going to end up getting a progressive Dillon. So, I would like to buy some .223 dies that I can use in a progressive press and that will get the job done to use these cartridges in several AR rifles.

What do you guys suggest I get?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think any reputable die will work. I know some peeps that use Dillon, Hornady, RCBS and Redding... Skies the limit.

Then why are there so many choices just within RCBS.

AR Small Base Die
    X-Sizer die
    Competition Dies that are not good for a progressive press
    Gold Medal Match - but this is a neck sizing dies which is probably not a good idea for rounds that could see different chambers.

Probably debating between the X-Sizer die and the AR Small Base Die at this point based upon what I have read.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Call Dillon and ask them what dies will work in their press. I assume you are looking at a 550? If you are and would like to see one in operation I'd be willing to let you check mine out.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Full length sizing die, you pick the manf you want. If your loading for lots of different AR's or .223's get a micro adjuster for seating depths...if manily loading for one rifle, you wont need that.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I myself buy Dillon Dies for everything but Competition and if I want Competition Ammo I use nothing but Redding Comp Dies and Seaters. Those use neck bushings and that's not really something for a new reloader to use. I would definitely buy Small Base Dies if you are reloading for AR's especially if your shooting more than one rifle. I have always been told that Dillon Dies are small base dies but Idont know for sure. Welcome to the dark side. Coop

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Call Dillon and ask them what dies will work in their press. I assume you are looking at a 550? If you are and would like to see one in operation I'd be willing to let you check mine out.

You are such an enabler :). A generous soul and an avid reloaded willing to share!!

Very timely thread as I also need 223 dies and DA has already helped me get a 550 setup

---
    Shamr0ck

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I agree, the small base ones are pretty nice...

...however, for bullet seating dies I MUCH prefer the Redding competition dies.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I run RCBS small base dies for .223 and haven't had any problems.

+1 I had a hard time chambering on a few AR's with the standard dies. The RCBS Small Base Dies cleared that all up. I haven't had an issue since.

I'll third that. :thumbsup:

Some of my AR's run fine with cases sized in regular dies, but others don't. Removing a stuck live round from the chamber because the case base was a little too big is not anybody's idea of fun.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You are such an enabler :). A generous soul and an avid reloaded willing to share!!

Very timely thread as I also need 223 dies and DA has already helped me get a 550 setup

---
    Shamr0ck

You mean I might be a reloading liberal? *gasp* You know, I think you are right! I'm the best kind of liberal the world has ever known, I help people learn to reload, so they can make high quality ammo! :lol2:

Thank you for the compliment, bud! BTW, I'm planning on getting into 300BLK for an AR, once I get an upper for one of my many lowers. Once I do that, you are welcome to come over and use the setup on the 550. I'm going that route for one rifle, so I can have a lighter platform out in the woods, while going after Bambi.

Before I forget, did you get to test fire your precision upper?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You mean I might be a reloading liberal? *gasp* You know, I think you are right! I'm the best kind of liberal the world has ever known, I help people learn to reload, so they can make high quality ammo! :lol2:

Thank you for the compliment, bud! BTW, I'm planning on getting into 300BLK for an AR, once I get an upper for one of my many lowers. Once I do that, you are welcome to come over and use the setup on the 550. I'm going that route for one rifle, so I can have a lighter platform out in the woods, while going after Bambi.

Before I forget, did you get to test fire your precision upper?

Well I'm purchasing a suppressor so I guess I will jump on the 300blk bandwagon also lol. I might have to stop over to see how you are cutting your brass down.

And yes shamrock, reports on your service rifle :). August 23rd fclass match in Cumberland, if you want to shoot you can ride with us.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Debating between the 550, 650, and 1050. Probably going to go with a 1050 because it comes with the case feeder from what I have been reading. Going to spend a while researching the three models and figuring this out.

About the only thing I'll load on the progressive is .223, .300 AAC, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP and possibly .308. Who knows, might go with 6.8 SPC too.

I'll keep using the rockchucker for all the ammo I load for the bolt guns.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    get the lee dies, with the factory crimp.

they are the cheapest, and least prone to break decappers. they work just as well an anything else.

factory crimp allows you to seat and crimp in seperate stations, so you can bulk load without worrying about dead uniform case length.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For my AR, I use RCBS Competition sizer die in the Rockchucker to size, then trim with the Little Crow WTF, then, on to the Dillon RL-550B for priming, charging, seating and a very mild crimp.

I use the same routine for the M1A and M1 Garand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) I used to use my RCBS .223 dies in my Dillon 650. No problems. I have since picked up a set of .223 Dillon dies, just because. Lee dies have a bit short thread, but if you turn the liock ring over (they use an O-ring to prevent creep) they work OK.

2) I have reloaded many rounds for gas guns in both .223 and .308 and never used small base dies. I did have some chambering problems with a new rifle, but it turned out I was not setting the shoulder back far enough. My rounds easily drop in and out of a Wilson case gauge.

3) WRT the 1050, AWESOME machine, but remember it is considered a commercial machine and thus does NOT come with the lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    When looking at the 550 - 650 - 1050 decision, I looked at the difference in price and then how much I realistically shoot to see how long it would take to recoup the increased initial investment.

Plus since I was just starting, being able to run the 550 as a single stage was an attractive option for me

No rounds down the tube if either the WOA service rifle upper not the shilen build yet.

Really need to get off my @zz and chose/buy an optic.

Workin on it - I'll mark the date for FClass.

Thanks!

--
    Shamr0ck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom