CCW training requirement just might be here soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Even for LEO to get CCW, training and yearly qualification is required.

"As of August 1, 2011 the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions, Firearms Training Facility, has assumed responsibility for LEOSA training and issuing of the firearm certification cards to people they train."

The CCW is only good for one year and the training cost $50 for 3 hours of classroom instruction and qualification.

I don't know how they can have lower standards for Joe Citizen

Easy. The above requirement is not about handgun safety, It's about liability and professional licensing. Same thing with armed security guards. It's designed to shield employers from liability and control the labor force (limit the amount of people eligible for the job)

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    My post to Mike's page:

A vast number of MD permits are issued to merchants who for the most part do NOT have any special training. The DD-214 should be included. There are states that require training and accept the hunter safety certificate as proof thereof. I hold six permits, one of which required live firing (Utah). That too should suffice. Finally, Maryland has issued by some estimates around 40,000 permits sans a training requirement. What the h*ll has changed that MSP now wants a training program.

??? Utah doesnt require live fire.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I think if a Court applied Intermediate Scrutiny, some form of training could be mandated. Hard to argue training is a bad thing, even if the 2A doesn't require it. Some times as has been stated, we have to accept something bad to avoid getting something worse.

I think training is finr as long as it isnt over the top....

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Since DE was mentioned:

Title 11 Chpt 5 § 1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons.

(3) Every such applicant shall file in the office of the Prothonotary of the proper county the application verified by oath or affirmation in writing taken before an officer authorized by the laws of this State to administer the same, and shall under such verification state that the applicant's certificate and recommendation were read to or by the signers thereof and that the signatures thereto are in the proper and genuine handwriting of each. Prior to the issuance of an initial license the person shall also file with the Prothonotary a notarized certificate signed by an instructor or authorized representative of a sponsoring agency, school, organization or institution certifying that the applicant: (i) has completed a firearms training course which contains at least the below described minimum elements; and (ii) is sponsored by a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency, a college, a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training. The firearms training, course shall include the following elements:

a. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;

b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;

c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;

d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;

e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;

f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;

g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;

h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;

i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self defense; and

j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Don't get me wrong - I agree with all of what you said and given the choice between what we currently have and a shall issue state with the training requirement, I would take the latter all day long.

However, in the second case we are still allowing the government to make decisions on our behalf thinking they know what is best for us. They are portioning out rights provided under the constitution and they shouldn't be able to do so.

Given MD's propensity to take a mile when given an inch, I am very much againt giving them even a millimeter.
    +1

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Florida's DOES REQUIRE LIVE FIRE depending on which kind of training you use to apply. If you have a DD-214 for example, you can use that and do not have to do any additional live fire training. If you take the Utah class, or an NRA class that doesn't include live fire, like Home Firearm Safety, or any other gun safety class taught by an NRA certified instructor, then YES, YOU NEED TO DO LIVE FIRE.

If you sent them your NRA cert AND your DD-214, then you are fine. The DD-214 would suffice for the training without a need to additionally do live fire, since it is known that your basic training included firearms training.

Please undertstand I am not trying to argue or start a flame war, just debating the deal here IRT the FLorida app. I appreciate your comments. Okay, understand the logic and the rule, but I will point out, basic training in Florida for the US Navy in 1976 and we never touched a gun in the nine weeks we were in Orlando. Again, I hope you guys understand I am not trying to argue here, just trying to clarify that the DD214 does not necessarily mean you used a gun nor have profiency, same for alot of the hunters safety classes, which meet the Fla req't as stated in the application, that is my point.

It wasn't until I got stationed to the ship and stood watches on a missile house that I had to go qualify with a 1911 (old enough that we were pre-Baretta). Then a shotgun as part of a SAT/BAF team. I know plenty of Yoemen, Personelman and Storekeepers who never touched a firearm their whole career and would qualify under the rules as stated in the application with a DD214/Honorable without ever doing any live fire. The Fla rules says read 790.06 (which I actually did, and because I have done live fire, I didn't think twice) but they do not make you prove it and they give you the permit, what does it matter? Seems like a BIG vaugeness that Florida has overlooked then IMO. Most people read the application and the mimimums in Section II of the app do not specifically say live fire, they say profiency and give the options as shown. Folks provide a DD214 or a training cert and they get a permit (assuming they meet all other req's like back ground checks etc.)

Anyway, I have no issue with training as a pre-requisite. As stated before by others, living in the DC area, I wish mandatory Drivers Ed was mandated, it would save a hell of alot more lives than "Live Fire" training for CCW applicants.

Appreciate the debate, hope my comments are not taken out of context.

Seeing the DE rules above and knowing the WVa. rules (bro in law and sister have permits), that is specific, it is clear, Live Fire is required.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    What's the big deal. Go take a training class like you guys did for Utah and bam your done. Be grateful we have gotten this far at all! The glass is half full!

Take a training course if CCW ever becomes legal. I just wonder if CCW will actually ever happen here?

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I think if a Court applied Intermediate Scrutiny, some form of training could be mandated. Hard to argue training is a bad thing, even if the 2A doesn't require it. Some times as has been stated, we have to accept something bad to avoid getting something worse.

I'll submit to training to exercise 2A when everybody else has to submit to training to vote.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Training was never necessary before. I don't see why it would be necessary now.

I absolutely believe everyone should seek training but vehemently oppose state mandated training.

Also, why do NRA courses seem to always make it into these laws? I took Handgun 1 with Tom at CCJA because it the syllabus showed it to be much more indepth than NRA basic handgun. If the state does this they should accept any form of handgun training, not just the NRA courses.

I agree with you. But I'm also looking at this a good sign. This to me looks like maryland also thinks the court case will go our way.

As far as the training, that's a hard call for me on what is right or wrong. I'm with you with not wanting maryland to control training, as well as training was never before. The problem is if we can carry there are many people that desperately need training. So at the end of the day I don't know what is best.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    This is getting a little silly.

What CCW? I respect Del. Smigiel for all the work he does for our side, but.....

How about actually GETTING to a real "Shall Issue", before everyone starts discussing adding more requirements.

I think they are getting frustrated or frightened they are loosing power and something like this makes them feel they are getting a little power back

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Wow, 9 pages of this...

My CCW from Iowa requires training (which I submitted from a past 3-day gig I did with the local police) but one can simply take an internet course to fulfill the requirement. Personally, I'm in favor of some form of training, as long as it is just and not abused by the system to keep people away.

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    Totally disagree with required training for CCW. We don't need a state mandated training session to exercise our constitutional rights. What ever happened to individual accountabilty.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Totally disagree with required training for CCW. We don't need a state mandated training session to exercise our constitutional rights. What ever happened to individual accountabilty.

Totally disagree.

I may trust you with a gun. I may trust myself. But I do not trust the general public. One look at the idiot videos on Youtube should give you an idea of how stupid people can be with guns. People need to learn respect for firearms, and how to operate them properly. Training should be mandatory, affordable, and easily accessed before a ccw permit should be granted. Also, a bit of time spent in that class reviewing local laws can be very beneficial. People should also learn about proper/safe storage. I am completely sick of reading about idiots leaving a loaded gun out and their kid taking it to school and accidentally shooting someone. That someone could easily be my daughter.

We don't just let anyone who can buy a car get in one and drive.

I support the NRA, but I do so because there are not many other options that support gun rights.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom