CCW training requirement just might be here soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    #9 dismisses all the political hacks and merchants who, it was suggested elsewhere, should be subject to a "universal" training requirement.

You make a good point, rambling_one. However, it also eliminates the need to anyone to supply proof of training again when renewing. I pretty sure this is why it is included in the Virginia statute.

It looks like Smigiel just lifted the Virginia statute on training requirements.

Curiously I'm very comfortable with this. :D

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Don't get me wrong - I agree with all of what you said and given the choice between what we currently have and a shall issue state with the training requirement, I would take the latter all day long.

However, in the second case we are still allowing the government to make decisions on our behalf thinking they know what is best for us. They are portioning out rights provided under the constitution and they shouldn't be able to do so.

Given MD's propensity to take a mile when given an inch, I am very much againt giving them even a millimeter.

Oh, absolutely. I want to restrain as much as possible the arbitrary restrictions Frosh et al. would like to add to the carry permits, but I get the feeling that either this session or the next, a training requirement WILL be put into law. If we simply oppose a bad training bill outright, we're probably going to lose and a bad bill will will become law. We can count on a minority to vote our way, but our chances improve when we court the moderate voices in the GA and put the hardcore anti-gun forces in the minority where they really are. In my opinion, we'll protect ourselves better by offering amendments a/o alternative bills that will satisfy the maximum number of representatives, while keeping the requirements simple, objective, and affordable.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think if a Court applied Intermediate Scrutiny, some form of training could be mandated. Hard to argue training is a bad thing, even if the 2A doesn't require it. Some times as has been stated, we have to accept something bad to avoid getting something worse.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    Right now, the state legialative delegates really only want two things: 1) go home on time. No emergency session extension. and 2) to be able to tell their constituents that they have saved the state from the gun nuts.
    It is way too late to start another bill thru the process of law making, but just about any current bill that is scheduled for a vote this session can still be Amended. Probably even totally non-related bills. So-If Smigel and the other pro gun delagates can steer this amendment (that we are going to get either way) into a reasonable form, it can probably pass. If that system is up and running before the next session there is a good chance it can stand. Otherwise, we give the anti's the entire time until the end of the next session to dream up and try to pass their must draconian requirements law..

And by taking a basic cut-and-paste from a neighboring state law that is presently working and has posssibly survived state level court challenges and at the same time has not been taken to a Federal court challenge on constitutionality grounds makes it more palatable for the anti's and seems livable for those wanting to CCW. VA and their gun laws seems to be a topic I hear a lot postitive about on this forum so a similar law should be acceptable for here. Makes future reciprosity more likely.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Trying to post the highlights as I see them for those who don't follow him on facebook.

Michael Smigiel

I found out late last night there was a move to add it to a Bill which is meant to extend police officer's term of renewal for permits to carry. The original language and what is still on the amendment is to allow the State Police Superintendent to decide what qualified as necessary safety training. I fear that kind of discretion being left with the State Police and thus want to limit their discretion as much as possible.
    What I have not seen posted is that the Delegate also stated that the Senate doesn't want any part of the acronym "NRA" in the legislation. There goes your "not arbitrary." (Not you, but the general your).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Item 5 requires MD to know other states' training requirements. How can MD reasonably do this? This is why reciprocity will need to be addressed at some point as well. Reciprocity would allow MD to examine each state individually as required rather than know the standards for all of them.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Wait a minute....

Is Smigiel the only one pushing for a new training requirement? :confused:

No, he is trying to add strong and concrete language to prevent Owe'Malley, the legislature, Dougy Gansler and the MSP from moving the goalpost ever time we get close to being able to exercise our damned rights!

I thought he was proposing this garbage at first too, until I realized what was going on.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    So how would this effect us who have applied? Only thing I have is Md web handgun safety. I am going to apply for va very soon.
    edit: or would the web class be #4?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So how would this effect us who have applied? Only thing I have is Md web handgun safety. I am going to apply for va very soon.
    edit: or would the web class be #4?

There is a general presumption in the law that new legislation applies to all pending matters, viz., matters ongoing before any rights have vested. It is a matter of legislative intent. The legislature can make it applicable to pending or not.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even for LEO to get CCW, training and yearly qualification is required.

"As of August 1, 2011 the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions, Firearms Training Facility, has assumed responsibility for LEOSA training and issuing of the firearm certification cards to people they train."

The CCW is only good for one year and the training cost $50 for 3 hours of classroom instruction and qualification.

I don't know how they can have lower standards for Joe Citizen

I would imagine that Joe Citizen has a lot less to consider before defending himself; also, requiring qualification at LEO standards would be unreasonable, as J.C. will be dealing with someone a few paces away, at most, under most defensible self-defense scenarios.

OF course, that's assuming a level of reason, and a standard of application, which sets the bar a lot higher than most MD legislators can handle.

garyad

I actually don't mind a the training requirement for a CCW permit. You have to have training for a driver's license, real estate license, home improvement license, plumber's license and many others. I actually think it will make for a safer owner and possibly a better educated carrier. If this allows us to carry, then I can grin and "bear" it. ha ha

This is true but up until now no training required. It has worked perfectly for 20 - 30 years why all of the sudden?

Virginia has it right, we should just model it after theirs. After all it seems to be working.

Just want to add this. The one thing we do not want is letting the MSP determine what we need. There should be no discretion on their part.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is true but up until now no training required. It has worked perfectly for 20 - 30 years why all of the sudden?

Virginia has it right, we should just model it after theirs. After all it seems to be working.

Just want to add this. The one thing we do not want is letting the MSP determine what we need. There should be no discretion on their part.

Agree 100%. They are law ENFORCEMENT, not legislators.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom