• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've got an RCBS Uniflow with powder measure stand arriving today that I need to mount to my bench. I figure I'll push it 6-9" left of the press, but am not sure how far back to mount it. I have 20" of depth to work with.

I see a lot of people who mount their powder stands very close to the edge, presumably because it makes getting to the handle easier. On the other hand, it seems like pushing it back by six inches would make it easier to actually deal with the powder coming out. What should I be thinking about here? I'm totally new to reloading, so I don't have instincts for this sort of thing yet.

Attachments

• mancave.jpg
      mancave.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 349

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've done a similar thing to what my Dad did. I have a vise mounted on my workbench, just left of center. My powder measure is mounted on a piece of 2x4, and when I need to use it, I clamp it into the vise. That allows me to be able to put it up and stow it away when I'm not using it, which clears up bench space.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Really doesn't matter a few inches either way. On mine, they generally wind up having the operating handle in about the same spot as the press (front to back) on the right side with a few inches between the two, so there is no nuckle busting.

DSC02166.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mine is at the edge cause I only use it for pistol rounds and on a 50 case tray.
    I put the primed, sized, expanded cases all in the 50 count tray, then hold onto the tray and throw the charges into the cases while the cases are still in the tray. I may pause and toss a case's powder onto the scale at a point in the process to check the charges, then keep going. I do not hold the cases one at a time under the thrower, nor do I have the thrower on top of my press over the expansion die. That's just how I do it.

I have the lyman press like jmorris above.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Were this me, and given the location of your press as pictured, I'd mount the Uniflow about 9 inches back, and obviously to the left of your press. I bought the stand also years ago because I personally don't like an edge mounted measure. Also consider whether you intend to be a standing or a seated reloader. Assuming you're right handed like most, you want your measure to be within easy reach, but you don't want to be fighting your press with your right arm in reaching in operating your measure. To me, edge space is premium waterfront real estate on a loading bench. Especially for my scale, because I use a beam scale, and want to be squared up to that scale so I can adjust and refer to the settings both easily and often. It's all about the flow of whatever system you'll wish to develop in your loading process. Good luck!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Screw it to a piece of wood as someone as said and then secure it to the bench with a locking clamp such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-QUICK-GRIP-Handi-Clamp-4-Inch-1799213/dp/B00I29Z1TQ

Vice grip makes a similar one, welders use a lot.

You can move the handle until it is almost parallel to the bench top to keep it out of the way.

Then it you decide you want it there permanently you can bolt it in the location you're comfortable with or just keep using the clamp.

"Mini" bar clamps will work also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put mine at the bench edge, next to the press, maybe 4".

Less motion from filling case to press to seat bullet.

If you are going to throw into a pan then trickle, further back and off to the side.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    BTW, lose the TVs. Unless you are decapping or doing something equally inconsequential you want zero distractions.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Uh oh - I have a drum kit in mine. Next thing I know, someone is going to tell me that the vibrations from my bass drum are breaking down the powder granules in the ammo I have stored in that room, thus making it dangerous and prone to additional pressures, just like tumbling loaded rounds does! (doesn't)

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Have several measures, as others have said mount it to a piece wood whether
    it be a 1x4 or other. Mine are screwed on 1x4 8" in length one measure on each
    then they can be clamped to the edge of the bench, swapped out when needed
    same goes with the neck turners, manual case trimmers. Also the measures can be moved as in case when I use wood reloading blocks, it gives more room.

Also some use what is "T Slot" ( http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp ) recess it in the top of the bench then take your "plate" with the powder measure / trimmer or what ever attach it slide it or remove it replace with another one. Have heard about this also on another site, http://www.patmarlins.com/Rockdock Prices.html don't know if he is still in business but also seems promising.

-Rock

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Uh oh - I have a drum kit in mine. Next thing I know, someone is going to tell me that the vibrations from my bass drum are breaking down the powder granules in the ammo I have stored in that room, thus making it dangerous and prone to additional pressures, just like tumbling loaded rounds does! (doesn't)

Everybody duck!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Mine is mounted to the left of my press and on the front edge of my bench (right-handed). I find it easier to manuever rifle cases in and out without having the benchtop directly under the spout, but rather hanging over the edge of the bench... just my preference, but that is how I've done it for a loooong time.. lol

I like the idea of mounting and clamping it, give you the ability to tweak it's position til you find what you like best.. ;)

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mounted to piece of wood and then clamped to edge of bench when needed, removed from bench when not needed. Mounted to edge gives you plenty of room under it to maneuver a tray full of brass ready for powder.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's no edge on my table that lends itself to clamping. I wound up mounting it about six inches left and six inches back. We'll find out if that was a mistake when I locate powder and primers.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have found that the further from the front edge of the bench for any operation, the more it fatigues me (upper arms and back).That depends on how much you do at a sitting.
    One more piece of of 3/4" ply on top of your bench will produce an overhang that is useful but you would have to brace it (not for the measure but for the press because that will have to be moved for clearance).
    I generally move my cases/rounds from the left to the right (on opposite sides of the press) as I complete an operation, so that I personally would move the press to the left to give me some space on the right.
    There are several methods for attaching the presses and powder thrower to the bench which range from elegant- the T track mentioned above, to moderately crude- holes in the bench and C clamps (mine) which are depicted in the "Bench Plans" thread.
    Of course any decision that you make at this time concerning placement and attachment can be changed because it is wood, so experiment.
    DocAitch

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I c clamp mine. It has to be, right? How do you dump back without it being able to be easily removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom