• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Ok guys, a lot of you have extensive experience with finishing wood and refinishing stocks so I could use some help.

I have a new Polish laminated wood AK stock set. Id like to protect the wood and would like to really make the grain standout/pop much like the flame patterns in birch you sometimes see, or the occasional laminate Mosin etc. BUT Im unsure what to put on it and I dont want to screw it up. Hell Id just be happy if it looks good.

I thought about giving it some color first but unsure if I should or just leave it alone. What should I use? I think Shellac is out. I dont like that so what does that leave me with?

Varnish?
    Boiled Linseed oil?
    Tung oil
    Birchwood Casey tru-oil

Is there any prep to the wood I should do beforehand?

Thanks for any and all help

Jeff

Attachments

• wood stock.jpg
      wood stock.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 571

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't have much experience but had great luck using Tung oil. Here is the 870 furniture I refinished using tung oil.

DSC_0407-001_zps2558f22a.jpg

DSC_0009_zps057b8930.jpg

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    A lot depends upon whether your focus is on having it look original, or having it look shiny and new.

I dont want a pimp shined plastic-wood looking stock. Id rather a flatter oiled look I think but something that wont lose the contrast of the light/dark sections of the wood, as in not something that will darken the wood to the extent that none of the grain or pattern is no longer visible.

something like this

Attachments

• akwood.jpg
      akwood.jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 500
    • akwood2.jpg
      akwood2.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 396

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can't go wrong with tongue oil. Put it on nice and thick , let it soak in. Depending on how you buff it out (by hand or machine), will determine the sheen. You might try water popping it first to get good oil penetration. Wipe it down with a wet rag and let it dry over night. It will open up the grain to the oil.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Boiled Linseed oil is what is most often used on military guns. I always suggest you keep with that. You can add lots of it if you like. It will not give you that "coated" look like Poly or some of the other oils but it will look correct for the gun. Frankly and not to insult but AK wood is not what one considers high end. Its also not a gun that you want a "slick" feel to the wood. So I suggest Linseed oil. Its the

I would also suggest one thing. On the front grip. That metal stud tends to heat up fast and burn the crap out of your finger. I would center punch it and drill it back so there is a recess there and your finger does not touch it. Then oil it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Boiled Linseed oil is what is most often used on military guns. I always suggest you keep with that. You can add lots of it if you like. It will not give you that "coated" look like Poly or some of the other oils but it will look correct for the gun. Frankly and not to insult but AK wood is not what one considers high end. Its also not a gun that you want a "slick" feel to the wood. So I suggest Linseed oil.

^^^ This.

There are lots of things that you can do to increase the contrast between softer and harder parts of the wood (the grain), and even more that you can do to make that contrast pop out by using coatings on the wood. The problem is that you start making the gun look less and less like a military firearm, and more like a piece of household furniture. I tend to keep 'em honest ... and that (in most cases) entails a good cleaning, perhaps some careful treatment of modern dings (not trying to get out all the dents--just blending in new chips, etc.), and then sealing with BLO, or touching up with whatever the original finish was.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    Be careful with brands that call their oil a finish. It usually isn't really pure tung or blo. However there is a fantastic product called tried and true. Amazing. Look up the work Chris becks vortex produces on fine woodworking. He uses tried and true that's how I found it. Before my interest in firearms I was way into woodworking, 18th century reproductions. Tried and true products are all natural and the more you buff the better it'll look. You end up with a finished but very natural look and feel. Trick is to use a very little and work it in, then work it in more.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Boiled Linseed oil is what is most often used on military guns. I always suggest you keep with that. You can add lots of it if you like. It will not give you that "coated" look like Poly or some of the other oils but it will look correct for the gun. Frankly and not to insult but AK wood is not what one considers high end. Its also not a gun that you want a "slick" feel to the wood. So I suggest Linseed oil. Its the

I would also suggest one thing. On the front grip. That metal stud tends to heat up fast and burn the crap out of your finger. I would center punch it and drill it back so there is a recess there and your finger does not touch it. Then oil it.

I've got a mid-1942 Garand and a 1919 model 1903 Springfield that I've bought new stocks and hand guards for. I'm keeping the originals for their historic value, but will use the new ones when I'm shooting them. I've begun the boiled linseed oil process and am in no particular hurry to "git 'er done" so how many applications of the BLO do you recommend?

Feb 28, 2013
    Ok guys, a lot of you have extensive experience with finishing wood and refinishing stocks so I could use some help.

I have a new Polish laminated wood AK stock set. Id like to protect the wood and would like to really make the grain standout/pop much like the flame patterns in birch you sometimes see, or the occasional laminate Mosin etc. BUT Im unsure what to put on it and I dont want to screw it up. Hell Id just be happy if it looks good.

I thought about giving it some color first but unsure if I should or just leave it alone. What should I use? I think Shellac is out. I dont like that so what does that leave me with?

Varnish?
    Boiled Linseed oil?
    Tung oil
    Birchwood Casey tru-oil

Is there any prep to the wood I should do beforehand?

Thanks for any and all help

Jeff

My WASR came with wood like that. I used red oak stain with about 5 coats of shellac.

I know you said you don't like it, but here's how it turned out.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2660048&postcount=29

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've begun the boiled linseed oil process and am in no particular hurry to "git 'er done" so how many applications of the BLO do you recommend?

This is what I did with Springy's (Smith-Corona A3) NOS stock:
    Light sand entire stock to open pores. Wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove any remaining soil and oils.
    Mix two parts mineral spirits to one part BLO and apply liberally.
    Let dry for ~10 minutes, then, wipe off excess.
    Repeat every day for a week.
    Repeat once/week for a month, but leave to air dry for three days after each application.
    Repeat once/month for a year.
    Done.

Last edited:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    My WASR came with wood like that. I used red oak stain with about 5 coats of shellac.

I know you said you don't like it, but here's how it turned out.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2660048&postcount=29

Looks good Sling. I ended up using Toms Military Gun Stock Wax. Kept the natural finish, made it a bit darker and will protect it. Pics when I get it back from Duffys. Its going on a milled arsenal SLR-95 which has the crazy clinton era ban stock so some machining had to be involved to be able to put a normal stock on it.

Feb 28, 2013
    Looks good Sling.

Thank you. :D

I ended up using Toms Military Gun Stock Wax. Kept the natural finish, made it a bit darker and will protect it. Pics when I get it back from Duffys. Its going on a milled arsenal SLR-95 which has the crazy clinton era ban stock so some machining had to be involved to be able to put a normal stock on it.

I hate those stocks. I'd love to replace the one on my brother's MAK-90.

Can't wait to see yours when you git 'er dun. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom