• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've had my Pelican 2360 ( on sale at Botach at the time ) as constant companion for well over 5yrs , probably better part of 10. Uses AA , and my lifestyle is standardized on rechargable AA . Fits confortably in pocket. Lights somthing up 50yd + out side the BF Lair in the sticks. Fully illimunate a room , while stopping short of blinding me with splashback.

Does what needs be illimunated without overkill.. (IIRC 80-ish Lumen)

The only occasion you might *need* more power is for hunting varmits ( ah , can we varmits at nite in Md ? ) at nite from 150yd.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    An idea of lumen output, taken with crappy cameraphone at 800 ISO(although no control whatsoever of shutter speed or aperture). This is in the gym today after school. From where I'm standing to the opposite wall is 20 meters. In real life, you can see more than what the pictures show...especially once your eyes get adjusted to dark.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-l2-flashlight.html
    this is the light, the LAPG L2. It's wonderful for pocket carry and runs off of a single 18650 than I can recharge whenever. 123's suck because they are pretty expensive if you use your light a lot. The L2 is a durable SOB. I've dropped it a LOT of times on blacktop/concrete and it's still chugging along fine. The only flaw I have with it is that the silicone gasket seal around the head will wear out pretty quick. I did find out those stupid rainbow loom rubber bandy things the kids use at school fit nearly exactly into the gasket groove though, so whenever one wears out, I grab another one(the school floor is littered with the damned things). The gasket at the tailcap end has been plenty durable and hasn't worn yet. You do get a couple extras when you but the light though.

Another negative of the light is that the pocket clip isn't the best. They should have beefed up the part that wraps around the light itself. A few times, the clip has popped off the light and caused the light to fall down into my pocket. I may just toss some gorilla glue in the ring it snaps to and just glue the damned thing on. It's not a big issue though and LAPG service is good enough they'd just send you another one if you lost it.
    Here's the gym with no lights on...pretty pitch black
    IMAG7760.jpg

Here's the LAPG L2 at ~10 lumens. You can see the net and in person, I could see the floor pretty well out to the middle of the gym. The far wall was greyed out and I could see the hoop, but not much detail on anything. Within 5 meters, this is a great option to preserve battery life and to keep from ruining your night vision.
    IMAG7759.jpg

Here's the L2 at ~305 lumens. You can see the far wall pretty well and get some detail out of it. The splash isn't enough to really light up much of the rest of the gym and the corner to my left was completely black. Night vision wasn't completely screwed, but it took a whack from the hot-spot of the beam.(BTW, you can get around this by just closing one eye pirate-style whenever you turn on your light)

IMAG7758.jpg

Below is the light at it's highest lumen output which is theoretically 730 lumens...although this isn't on a fresh battery so it's slightly more dim than it could be. At this output, I can now make out shapes and figures in the corner to my left and I have great detail of pretty much the entire far side wall. Of course the price I pay is my night vision is kaput unless I close one eye. This setting is useful for extended throw, blinding attackers, and the ability to splash it off a wall, the floor, the ceiling and see detail throughout the whole room. In the house, I regularly turn it on high and stand it on it's tail to use as a pretty decent temporary lamp if I need to avoid turning on lights for whatever reason.
    IMAG7757.jpg

here's a shot for size comparison between some lights.
    IMAG7772_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    FWIW, I use a Streamlight TLR-1 (as seen on Smokey's M&P above) for checking the fenceline when I let my dog out at night. 300 lumens is enough to reach out 15-20 odd meters into the tree line at the rear of my property.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    A related question:

Is there such a thing as a rail mount flash light holder for a Springfield XD?

I have a Streamlight 88031 Protac 2L.

Dimensions are: 4.7 x 0.8 x 0.8 inches

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    I picked up a Defiant model flashlight at home depot. 1500 Lumen! for 30 bucks.

I can attest that you don't want it pointed at you and it lights my backyard up like mid day.

It's also in a metal case like a standard mag light with 4 D cell batteries. So it doubles as a billy club. haha. I can't find it on their website because I think what I bought was left over from the holidays. But every Home depot I've been to has them up front in the deal section.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    forgot to include the tlr3 and protac hl for size comparison

Attachments

• IMAG7785_1.jpg
      IMAG7785_1.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads