• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    mhemling should be in on this... anyways, his 2000 lumen light i have will definitely blind it almost seems like it should recoil when i turn it on

BTW...recently...for comparison....i was underground in a 84" pipe...darkroom dark...the Contractor thought he was bad ass with his 1,000,000 Candlepower spotlight....he offered me $100 on the spot for mine when i switched it on

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    Are you talking about something to put on a rail system, or just a general flashlight?

If it were specifically for home defense, there are some tactical flashlights with a strobe feature to 'dazzle' the bad guys. If someone was breaking in and you hit the strobe feature right on their eyeballs, it'd really suck for them. Once your eyes get night vision-acquainted, it takes a long time to get out of it. The strobing would be enough time to engage them with a few hammerpunches and subdue them.

Incidentally, we did flashlight training at Masada Tactical in Pikesville a few weeks ago. It was a great class!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The best Defensive Flashlight is a MagLite , either 5D or 7C cell. Cheap batteries will give a better wrist snap than alkalines.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight at Costco

19.99 and it takes 4 c batteries. Way brighter than my 5 D Maglight. So far so good

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'll also endorse the LAPG L1 and L2. I have both and for the money they are a steal.
    second this suggestion. I've got the L1 and L2, they're both fantastic. The L2 is what I always carry and hides in a pocket nicely. I like that they both take rechargeable 18650's...a must for a flashlight since they save battery money. The L2 has a larger hot spot and spill and is great for lighting up anything inside of 25 yards or so. The L1 has a suuuuuper large and deep reflector, making a very intense, but smaller hot spot with less flood. It's what I carried when walking the dog for greater throw. When we lived in severn, I could illuminate the top of the new water tower with it from 100 yards away. It's a BAMF light for the money.

Controls are easy. If you have the head screwed down tight, you can cycle between full power and strobe by rapidly pressing the tailcap switch. A heavy push locks the light on, a softer push is momentary on. If you unscrew the head 1/4 turn, then you can cycle through a high, medium and low setting. I REALLLLLLLY like that the low setting is only 10 lumens. For going around the house, I can just use the low setting to keep from killing my nightvision. I can also check on the baby without worrying about waking him up. The streamlight's low setting is around 60 lumens, which is just too much for most things.

I also have a streamlight HL, which is great and built more like a tank...but only takes 123's, which is expensive.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    mhemling should be in on this... anyways, his 2000 lumen light i have will definitely blind it almost seems like it should recoil when i turn it on

BTW...recently...for comparison....i was underground in a 84" pipe...darkroom dark...the Contractor thought he was bad ass with his 1,000,000 Candlepower spotlight....he offered me $100 on the spot for mine when i switched it on

Yep check High Powered Tactical IP here :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    We need a poll - virtually every other forum has asked this question.

Anything beyond 60 lumens in a dark room should get the job done.

I generally agree, considering a 'dark room'; however most situations are low light, and not all lumens are measured equally. So I'd feel much more comfortable recommending at least a 200 lumen light; with current technology, much brighter starts making size an issue.

Lights are one area where technology is evolving quickly.

This should have been a poll. Ok, not to steal the OP's thread, I'll simply start a poll.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm sure mhemling could build you a whopper of a light and he is an industry partner here.

Beware of the high lumens/ ultra-low cost China jobbers on evilbay and similar places. A lot of them don't have the promised output, overheat if they do, and are generally unreliable. I buy them as extra throwaways for around the house, but would never want to depend on one in a tactical situation.

Not a fan of Surefire as I think you're paying a lot for a name. Not that they're bad, but that you could get just as good or better for less. Ditto Streamlight. But at least Streamlight is a little more reasonable.

Also, good primer here on understanding lumens. There's a lot more to brightness than just the lumen number.

http://www.elzetta.com/blog/lumens/

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    250 is good for most applications. If you're searching outdoors or something than more is certainly better. Was at a thing over the weekend where a guy with a 1000+ light was able to spotlight us during our movement from around 100 yards away.

Obviously, that much indoors is bad. Guy you are shining it at will get it worse obviously, but it WILL screw you up too. Mirrors, TV's, glass, even light colored walls will splash enough of that back to mess you up.

Heck I got messed up by my own inforce WML inside a conex and it was only 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom