• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Full disclosure: I've never shot a bow in my life. I want to start though and get into hunting eventually.

My question is about how those sights work. Do you shoot with both eyes open? If you're a right handed shooter do you close your right eye and use your left eye to aim since you're facing sideways? Or is it the other way around?

My problem is I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Not only that, but the vision in my right eye is so bad it's d@mn near useless past 10 yards. In rifle and pistol shooting that's no big deal. A little practice and I learned how to shoot left handed. Bows will no doubt be another story. The strength required to draw one will make left handed shooting more difficult.

Will I need to shoot a left handed bow?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How are your arms?

Can you pull back a left handed bow over the minimum 30lb draw for hunting?

You can always use a crossbow to simplify the transition, since you can shoot a rifle left handed. Crossbows and vertical compund bows cost about the same new.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    How are your arms?

You can always use a crossbow to simplify the transition, since you can shoot a rifle left handed. Crossbows and vertical compund bows cost about the same new.

I'm a relatively strong guy. I work out and whatnot. :D

6ft - 200lbs

30lbs wouldn't be a problem. What is the average draw weight hunters use around here? I'll be looking to hunt whitetail eventually. I won't be going after bear or elk any time soon. Maybe eventually. :party29:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What is the average draw weight hunters use around here? I'll be looking to hunt whitetail eventually.

If you are using fixed 7/8" broadheads, minimum 30 lbs. 30 lbs will get the job done.

If you are using mechanical broadheads (where the razors expand on impact) 50lb minimum. The reason behind 50 lbs, is because most manufacturers test the broadhead function at that poundage.

You do not have to go out and buy a 70 lbs bow. I just upgraded my rig to a Bear Cruzer for this year. I have an old 25 year old left handed bow, rated for 60 lbs that I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do with.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How are your arms?

Keep in mind that anyone who wants to use a crossbow to hunt deer must prequalify as an "IDIOT" first.

OP, working out on a regular basis will help, but drawing a bow will require using muscles you never knew existed.

Also, being that you're all discombobulated with right side strong and left eye dominate, a crossbow would be a great choice.

Or a left handed bow as mentioned earlier.

Fan of fixed broadheads here too. Nothing to break or malfunction and you can quickly run them across a stone to re-sharpen.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    So you do use the same side eye to sight in? I figured as much. I was just hoping to get lucky. ;)

I'm fairly confident I can draw a 50 or 60 pound bow with my left arm. It'll be awkward at first, but I'll work it out.

Now I just need to find someone to teach me how to shoot one of those things. They look complicated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Full disclosure: I've never shot a bow in my life. I want to start though and get into hunting eventually.

My question is about how those sights work. Do you shoot with both eyes open? If you're a right handed shooter do you close your right eye and use your left eye to aim since you're facing sideways? Or is it the other way around?

My problem is I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Not only that, but the vision in my right eye is so bad it's d@mn near useless past 10 yards. In rifle and pistol shooting that's no big deal. A little practice and I learned how to shoot left handed. Bows will no doubt be another story. The strength required to draw one will make left handed shooting more difficult.

Will I need to shoot a left handed bow?

You'd be surprised how many right handed people shoot left handed bows. It's normal for a righty to shoot lefty and the opposite as well. Given your experience shooting firearms left handed should give you a leg up in transitioning into archery. As a left handed archer , you will draw (hold the string) with your left hand, aiming with you left eye.

As far as sights go, you will need to develop a repeatable anchor and release in order to hit the same spot consistently. Liken it to a golf swing, form is everything. Once you are able to shoot fairly decent groups (start at 10 yds.), you can begin moving your pins. The top pin is for 10-20 yds. next one down 30yds. and so on. Example: arrow hits right of bullseye-move pin to the right. Arrow hits above bullseye-move pin up. Hope that helps.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    You'd be surprised how many right handed people shoot left handed bows. It's normal for a righty to shoot lefty and the opposite as well. Given your experience shooting firearms left handed should give you a leg up in transitioning into archery. As a left handed archer , you will draw (hold the string) with your left hand, aiming with you left eye.

As far as sights go, you will need to develop a repeatable anchor and release in order to hit the same spot consistently. Liken it to a golf swing, form is everything. Once you are able to shoot fairly decent groups (start at 10 yds.), you can begin moving your pins. The top pin is for 10-20 yds. next one down 30yds. and so on. Example: arrow hits right of bullseye-move pin to the right. Arrow hits above bullseye-move pin up. Hope that helps.

Interesting.

Thanks.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have a left handed bow you could try out, but if your draw length isn't the same it may not be exactly right for you. May be worth checking out, or you can go to a shop and try one in lefty. Mine is in the classifieds.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. Ive found you either focus on the target or the pin, you cant focus on both. Do you have corrective glasses/contacts? You can shoot with glasses. I keep both eyes open and focus on the pin with my right eye. I prob couldnt shoot a left handed bow. But I do ok with a right hand bow.

Some sights you can add lens to get magnification. Just have to do some research. Also the lens magnification may not be legal for hunting.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com....html?osCsid=40dd3bf7d745199f6067912e89791be0

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. Ive found you either focus on the target or the pin, you cant focus on both. Do you have corrective glasses/contacts? You can shoot with glasses. I keep both eyes open and focus on the pin with my right eye. I prob couldnt shoot a left handed bow. But I do ok with a right hand bow.

Some sights you can add lens to get magnification. Just have to do some research. Also the lens magnification may not be legal for hunting.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com....html?osCsid=40dd3bf7d745199f6067912e89791be0

I do wear glasses.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I do wear glasses.

I shoot with glasses but for hunting I use contacts just because theres less chance of fogging up when hunting. I have a 27" draw length with 60lb weight and it kills deer just fine. Main thing is to get practice. Its addicting once you get started. A good quality shooting block is also helpful.

cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Being a rookie to archery myself and sounding like you are in a similar situation to the one I was in when I picked up Archery.

I am a left handed, left handed shooter, left eye dominant.

However for archery, I pull a right handed bow. A little bizarre I know...

My buying experience for a compound bow was at Bass Pro with a super awesome Customer service rep named George. Super super nice guy; George has a passion for archery and hunting with compound bows. Helped me find a bow within my price range, gave me the opportunity to shoot a couple of compound bows within their archery range, gave me suggestions on handling/ posture, measured me for draw length and weight of draw. I was originally going for a left handed bow and then George had me try right handed bow for shits and giggles and I was able to put together a better grouping with the right handed bow.

My draw is 27'' and my bow has a draw of 50 pounds. It is adjustable up to 60.

As iH8DemLibz said earlier you will be using muscles you don't really use and you will be sore initially for the first couple times of bow use. So just expect that. Clearly it gets better/ easier the more archery range time you put in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I've also seen off-eye dominant people shoot wearing an eye patch over their dominant eye.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being a rookie to archery myself and sounding like you are in a similar situation to the one I was in when I picked up Archery.

I am a left handed, left handed shooter, left eye dominant.

However for archery, I pull a right handed bow. A little bizarre I know...

My buying experience for a compound bow was at Bass Pro with a super awesome Customer service rep named George. Super super nice guy; George has a passion for archery and hunting with compound bows. Helped me find a bow within my price range, gave me the opportunity to shoot a couple of compound bows within their archery range, gave me suggestions on handling/ posture, measured me for draw length and weight of draw. I was originally going for a left handed bow and then George had me try right handed bow for shits and giggles and I was able to put together a better grouping with the right handed bow.

My draw is 27'' and my bow has a draw of 50 pounds. It is adjustable up to 60.

As iH8DemLibz said earlier you will be using muscles you don't really use and you will be sore initially for the first couple times of bow use. So just expect that. Clearly it gets better/ easier the more archery range time you put in.

Dancing Bananas

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Just my 2 cents:
    Go to a couple bow shops, look around and talk to the guys that work there, They won't send you in a wrong direction. Most likely, they will answer your questions, allow you to try their bows and you can decide from there. Some may have customers or employees in the same boat. Good luck and have fun

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think what I'm going to do is go to one of the archery shops around here and talk to them. Get fitted and set up with a rig I can practice with. Hopefully I'll be a good enough shot by next years hunting season that I can give it a shot.

Any shops in the MD/Southern PA/Northern VA area that you guys would especially recommend? Preferably one where they can give me a quick lesson while I'm spending $600 on a rig. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom