• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    So I picked up a S&W M&P 15 chambered in 300 Blackout yesterday. I know some of the members here are reloading using 5.56 brass. However I don't have any brass or any reloading equipment yet.

So i need some recommendations on some factory loaded ammo to get started.

TIA.

Sent from my Secret Bunker using Smoke Signals 2

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I think alot of the major companies have started making it. I haven't seen any in my local Walmart and I don't expect to. I'm pretty sure Winchester makes some, Hornady, and Remington. Don't expect it to hang around, in another year it could be like 6.8, 6.5, etc. I'd recommend reloading it soon.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    2A Sales and Gun Connection had some the last time I was at both shops.

The question others will ask, supersonic or subsonic? Slow, heavy or fast and light?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I picked up a couple hundred from PSA when they had free shipping. Remington UMC. It's about the cheapest I've seen for testing and gathering brass. Not the most accurate in mine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    JoeBob's wasn't bad on price, Remington brand, while not as accurate as my handloads, it's not bad at all.

PSA (the last I looked), wasn't bad pricing either.

As for Indy's assumption, you might not see it at walmart just yet, but the support base is pretty wide for a relatively newer caliber, so that may/may not change - time will tell.

I'd still recommend reloading for it, because it's cheaper, and the quality/consistency doesn't vary as much as factory loads can.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Eventually I'll reload for it and 5.56 Right now not going subsonic to start off. Who knows. That will probably change.

Probably the best thing to do would be to try a couple manufactures out.

Sent from my Secret Bunker using Smoke Signals 2

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I shoot Remington UMC for the range 115g

Remington Accutip 125g for SD and or other creatures.

Some rifles don't cycle reliably with subsonic loads (220g) without a can on the weapon. Remington makes a 220g subsonic load. Never shot it. (No can)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Subsonic compatibility seems to be an issue depending on the gas-length of your gun. I run a pistol-length, and with my standard buffer/buffer spring combo - it'll cycle them fine, but won't lock on an empty mag. That changes if I go to the suppressor buffer/buffer spring combo.

W/out knowing your setup, it may run fine on sub's, it may not.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Best way to make 300xOut brass is with a dillon trimmer. With the right adapter you can trim and form the neck in one stroke, ready to load from there. Its not hard at all but is not the cheapest way. I made about 500 peices of brass this way on a friends tricked out 650 with a machined head to hold the trimmer. It owas only 1 station in this way but done so you could just crank the handle with a case feeder attached. Took about an hour+ to do all that.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Subsonic compatibility seems to be an issue depending on the gas-length of your gun. I run a pistol-length, and with my standard buffer/buffer spring combo - it'll cycle them fine, but won't lock on an empty mag. That changes if I go to the suppressor buffer/buffer spring combo.

W/out knowing your setup, it may run fine on sub's, it may not.

I believe mine is a carbine length.

Here is the specs of the gun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    From S&W - •Feed ramps and gas system optimized to run efficiently with a full range of factory loaded sub-sonic and super-sonic ammunition, both suppressed and unsuppressed

Go ahead and try them out, worst case scenario - you go single shot...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Guys I guess I could have posted this link earlier. http://www.blackoutbrass.com/

If you are planning to reload, then this company has the best deals going. Polecat put me onto them a few months ago when I completed my build. I have ordered 1000 pcs. of Lake City once fired brass for $163 shipped.

They have specials going for remanufactured brass(more than once fired) for about $40 cheaper. I went with the once fired for consistency.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Come January/February 2013 there will be a local guy :innocent0 that will have a competitive price on .300BLK.

More to follow when I get everything squared away and up to speed on it, and more importantly when I get IP status from Don&co...

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Subsonic compatibility seems to be an issue depending on the gas-length of your gun.

Actually in every case I have seen, if a gun won't run subsonic, it is simply because the manufacturer made the gas port too small or speced too heavy a buffer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Actually in every case I have seen, if a gun won't run subsonic, it is simply because the manufacturer made the gas port too small or speced too heavy a buffer.

If I'm going to be corrected by anyone regarding 300BLK, you'd be the man to do so. :thumbsup:

I must say, I'm enjoying the round very much. I'm still tweaking handloads, but I've already gotten a 1.18" group using 110gr V-max's and H110 powder, so I'm a very happy camper right now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom