CCW training requirement just might be here soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    What do you mean by that??
    The Maryland General Assembly meets in Annapolis each year for 90 days to act on more than 2300 bills including the State's annual budget. The 430th Session began January 11, 2012 and adjourns April 9, 2012.

Where did you take your class?
    I took mine at Rouzerville Fish & Game, Waynesboro PA I found it on NRA website. The class was 2 nights and a Sat. morning live fire. It was only $40. All others I looked at were $125 and up.

P.S. use multi quote. It makes it a lot easier.:)

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I applied for the MD permit last month and this morning just signed up and filled out the app. for Utah, wow what difference it the apps. I hope that the Utah will cover the new/proposed training requirement for MD so I can kill two birds with one stone. While I am a believer in Shall Not Be Infringed means no permits or training I know that the courts will not at this time, or before I am long dead see it my way. IMHO the best we can do is try and steer the new training requirement to the least painful direction.

Perhaps next session we can push the general assembly to changing the application to be more like Utah and get rid of interviews, references and the like.

I can hope.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The big deal is you open one door to find another closed door. How many doors do we need to open to find another closed door behind it ? It gets old quick and shows the level that our elected politicians will go to screw someone out of their rights. Oh cant keep G&S ok lets do training and make it just like G&S. Dont take the states class that's offered once a blue moon then sorry, dont score high enough on your written 3 hour test then sorry, leaving it up to the state means way too many hoops for my right.

So what is your answer to this? When the MSP contact you that your ccw has been approved, are you going to tell them to keep it because you did not get it on your terms?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Totally disagree.

I may trust you with a gun. I may trust myself. But I do not trust the general public. One look at the idiot videos on Youtube should give you an idea of how stupid people can be with guns. People need to learn respect for firearms, and how to operate them properly. Training should be mandatory, affordable, and easily accessed before a ccw permit should be granted. Also, a bit of time spent in that class reviewing local laws can be very beneficial. People should also learn about proper/safe storage. I am completely sick of reading about idiots leaving a loaded gun out and their kid taking it to school and accidentally shooting someone. That someone could easily be my daughter.

We don't just let anyone who can buy a car get in one and drive.

I support the NRA, but I do so because there are not many other options that support gun rights.

you need a certificate in constitutional rights safety training before you speak freely again.

I've seen some of your posts and I just don't trust you to exercise that right safely. you need to learn respect for the bill of rights.

I support free speech, I subscribe to the Baltimore sun.

people are always speaking and giving the general assembly ideas to further infringe someone. that someone could easily be my daughter.

;)

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    Totally disagree.

I may trust you with a gun. I may trust myself. But I do not trust the general public. One look at the idiot videos on Youtube should give you an idea of how stupid people can be with guns. People need to learn respect for firearms, and how to operate them properly. Training should be mandatory, affordable, and easily accessed before a ccw permit should be granted. Also, a bit of time spent in that class reviewing local laws can be very beneficial. People should also learn about proper/safe storage. I am completely sick of reading about idiots leaving a loaded gun out and their kid taking it to school and accidentally shooting someone. That someone could easily be my daughter.

We don't just let anyone who can buy a car get in one and drive.

I support the NRA, but I do so because there are not many other options that support gun rights.

Are you saying that you feel that these people aren't responsible enough for freedom? That you feel you know what's best for them and for public safety?

I think I have heard this before:sad20:

Be careful passing judgement and implementing controls, they always bite back

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    You hit it on the head.

Let's see what they do. If they ar truly concerned about safety our opinion will matter. If they want more restrictions, we're looking at a fight.

An argument can be made that too great a training requirement would disenfranchise the right from those who need it most. Frankly, the upper-middle class professional would meet the requirement in a heartbeat. We got time and money - or at least enough to do this.

The poor and minority groups are the ones who will have the highest burden. If the state thinks we won't make a hell of noise over that - and be joined by many other non-traditional gun voices - they are nuts. Once you start portioning a civil right, you are open the door to a real shit storm.

Keep in mind Maryland is the first place in the United States where a federal court has recognized this as a true civil right. This is not a legislative question anymore. The legislature and state politicians restrict civil rights at their political great risk. We won't let them deny rights to the poor or to minorities - we will make sure everyone knows who in the state is behind the violations.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere when you get a ccw in MD the first exasperation date is 2 years and if/when it is renewed it's good for three years?

If this is true and say the end up with an annual training requirement where the class is $125 from an approved instructor. That means having a ccw will cost you $1050 every 6 years when you also add in the cost of the livescan and app fees. That works out to 175 per year.

And that's if I'm correct about the 3 year exasperation date of a ccw after the first renewal. If I'm wrong about the 3 years and ccw's are good for 2 years, then the cost of a ccw will be $200 per year.

$75 app
    $75 Livescan
    $125 training x2, training for each of the 2 years.

Is that right?

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    I'm for a training requirement. I know it sucks and adds another hurdle but the way I see it is no different then taking drivers ed and passing a drivers test.

Also, if all they want is a training course, then I will take what I can get, especially regarding a BS law that has been untouched for almost 40 years. As the saying goes, "beggars can't be choosers"

Just my 2c

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The Maryland General Assembly meets in Annapolis each year for 90 days to act on more than 2300 bills including the State's annual budget. The 430th Session began January 11, 2012 and adjourns April 9, 2012.

I took mine at Rouzerville Fish & Game, Waynesboro PA I found it on NRA website. The class was 2 nights and a Sat. morning live fire. It was only $40. All others I looked at were $125 and up.

P.S. use multi quote. It makes it a lot easier.:)

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how to do the multi quote thing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm for a training requirement. I know it sucks and adds another hurdle but the way I see it is no different then taking drivers ed and passing a drivers test.

Also, if all they want is a training course, then I will take what I can get, especially regarding a BS law that has been untouched for almost 40 years. As the saying goes, "beggars can't be choosers"

Just my 2c

Then you should take a training course to vote.

Rights are different than privileges ;)

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Are you saying that you feel that these people aren't responsible enough for freedom? That you feel you know what's best for them and for public safety?

I think I have heard this before:sad20:

Be careful passing judgement and implementing controls, they always bite back

It does not have anything to do with that. It's a fact of life that some people need training just because they may have never seen a gun up close, never mind know how to be safe with one. It's great that you know all about guns and do not need any training.

But what if my mom wants to carry? Trust me when I tell you she needs some training.

We are gun guys and know about guns and how to be safe with them (I hope). But no matter how good we are we can always learn something new. The fact is some people desperately need training.

Is it a pain in the a$$ for the people who know how to use a gun? Sure. Can we talk about how the constitution does not say right to bare arms only if your trained? Sure.

But to play devils advocate here, back when the constitution was written everyone carried a gun men women and children for protection and hunting. Guns were a way of life for everyone. Everyone new how to handle and use a gun because they were as common as our cell phones today. Try to find a kid that does not know how to use a cell phone, I dare you. They all know how to handle a cell phone. That how it was back then with guns. Everyone new all about guns. A gun back then was just another tool that was used everyday back then.

Fast foward to today, (and in many ways you can blame our government for keeping guns out of the hands of many people as well as making it hard for the people who could or wanted to buy a gun), we now have a sociaity where MENY people have never seen a gun up close or only on TV, and do not know the first thing about guns or gun safety. It's just a fact of life. And many of them will want a ccw as well. And they should have the right to get their ccw like you and me.

Now some will be smart enough to realize they need training and seek training out on their own just because it's a good idea. But many people besides being very lazy and not that smart will not get any training.

These people have every right to get their ccw like you and me and they will be sitting and walking right next to you and your family members.

I'm just saying.:shrug:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Now some will be smart enough to realize they need training and seek training out on their own just because it's a good idea. But many people besides being very lazy and not that smart will not get any training.

These people have every right to get their ccw like you and me and they will be sitting and walking right next to you and your family members.

I'm just saying.:shrug:

People shouldn't be forced into training by the state, because the state already mandates training for you to purchase a regulated firearm.

You have the mindset, that people have the time and money to get said training otherwise they're lazy.

Some good honest hard working people have neither, due to other commitments. Informal training is normally their avenue, until they can catch a break in life.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    *face palm* So they will just have to take white out to the application, and change it from "Good, and Substantial Reason" to "Good and Substantial Training". Here we go, again...

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Training does not prevent stupidity. People do stupid stuff. I think a lot of people on here think that they are more responsible than the average person, which they probably are. Training is not going to keep irresponsible people from carrying. If you want to be able to carry, you have to let everyone carry. I want my wife to carry, I plan on getting her enough training to where she is as comfortable as I am carrying. All the training and background checks in the world will not prevent people from abusing the system, people will brandish a firearm in public. As long as the states laws for carry are clearly outlined and readily available I think everyone will be ok. People who break the laws will be caught eventually. A lot of you forget your argument for carry, criminals carry, they have no training...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Then you should take a training course to vote.

Rights are different than privileges ;)

:thumbsup: You're correct.
    NO more training needed other than what is required to purchase
    a regulated firearm now. Either the Md online safety course or
    a Military ID card. One or the other.
    NO Way should the MSP be involved on providing training.. That is
    a political football ..Police and Sherriff's job is not to conduct training.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    People shouldn't be forced into training by the state, because the state already mandates training for you to purchase a regulated firearm.

You have the mindset, that people have the time and money to get said training otherwise they're lazy.

Some good honest hard working people have neither, due to other commitments. Informal training is normally their avenue, until they can catch a break in life.

I think he had a bad choice of words there. I think the word "cocky" would be better. There are people that think they know it all and don't need training.
    Man there are so many ways to look at this. I think they should have training. That being said the question is at what level? Should the video for buying a handgun be OK or should it go as far as a 40 hr. $300 class?
    I started to look at this as a drivers license. You have to take drivers ed to get your license BUT when you turn 18 you don't. Really I don't see how turning 18 means you know how to drive a car just like having a 2A right don't mean you know how to use a gun safely. Personally I don't want people running around with guns that have NO idea how to use them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom