• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Have any of you guys used AR comp? I loaded up 300 rounds and went to the range today. The only issue was it seems to me that it is a dirty powder. Lots of build up on the bolt face and lugs. Is this the case for you guys or am I just not use to cleaning an AR. It has been years since I've shot one.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I use it for my 75 gr loads. I shoot about 1k of them a year. I can't notice any noticeable difference. Were the cases dirtier than normal?

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I was wondering if maybe the load was light and not getting a good seal at the neck. I usually shoot 3-400 sometimes a little more(before cleaning)rounds mixed 25% my AR Comp loads and 75% cfe 223 55 gr pills the bolt is dirty and starting to get dry but not really building up on the bolt/lugs.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    You may be on to something on the light loads. I was loading light and working up trying to find a load the gun liked. I need to go back and look at all of the brass. I normal shoot hodgdon powder for all my reloads but got a deal on the AR COMP. I did have some CFE 223 but used that on my 55 gr pills. I was shooting 77 gr Nosler's with the AR COMP. Don't think the gun liked them. It is a Brand New Barrel so I will head back to the range after Hunting season is over with a load that looked good on the Chrony.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I usually shoot 3-400 sometimes a little more(before cleaning)rounds

Your rifle needs cleaning that often?

I just shot over 1200 rounds in a 3 day carbine class, with a rifle that had a few hundred rounds through it before that. Still not ready to clean it.

I followed Clandestine's advice and dipped the bolt in Mobil 1, and it was still pretty wet after 1200 rounds.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    AR Comp is my accuracy powder for 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings. Exceptional powder, and I have no noticed anything untoward with regard to "dirty" versus clean....

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Your rifle needs cleaning that often?

I just shot over 1200 rounds in a 3 day carbine class, with a rifle that had a few hundred rounds through it before that. Still not ready to clean it.

I followed Clandestine's advice and dipped the bolt in Mobil 1, and it was still pretty wet after 1200 rounds.

Need .... No. Just what I do for reliability,I'm not looking to run it till it doesn't run.....I don't do a full clean at that interval, just wipe down the BCG ,lube, and reinstall. This is on a 3G rifle with lightened buffer and adjusble gas turned down just above "failure to feed" issues.
    I probably clean my reg rifles more often just because I never know how long they will sit before being played with plus most of them are shot suppressed and get pretty dirty quick. I don't do anything to the bore unless I see bad things or am having accuracy issues.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I see.

FYI, I stopped shooting for 16 years. I left my firearms in the state they were at the time. And I don't clean often.

And NO issues.

I DO wipe them down with a silicone cloth or oily rag after every time I handle them.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I see.

FYI, I stopped shooting for 16 years. I left my firearms in the state they were at the time. And I don't clean often.

And NO issues.

I DO wipe them down with a silicone cloth or oily rag after every time I handle them.

That used to be my method..... I now have a Citori special sporting with some pitting in one of the chambers. Everything gets light oil. Except my Glocks, they get beat like they owe me money......

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm.

I do tend to run one of the fuzzy sticks through the shotgun barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom