• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I am not buying it by one facebook blurb sorry, I have posed that very question several times to the site and tried to actually contact the office only to be told "i dont know its my first day and i will have some one call you back...."
    i was never called back....
    I dont buy it, dont trust any politician its that simple, we may as well bendover because no political figure will lie in our favor and ruin the rest of their power hungry politcal career i dont care what they say....

:D You probably talked to my son who is interning for Hogan, and it was in fact his first day.

As for me, I really, really want to see a Republican win for a change. I like what I have seen of Larry Hogan, but I won't be a purist in any case. The alternative is Brown or Gansler.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I'm not to thrilled about Larry Hogan as a candidate. To me he seems to much like a "Professional Politian".

He did not attend the Republican debate on channel 45. And, his answers concerning issues are to general for my taste.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Erlich DID mention 2A during his run for office. He had his "Ten point plan for Md" . Point #10 was (paraphrased) : Review all gun laws. Get rid of all that are ineffective or counterproductive .

His whole term , despite kissing up to be "bi-partisn and inclusive" saw him stymied at Point #1 , and Points #2-10 were left in the lurch.

If Erlich had disregarded the desire to be loved by his enemies ( who continued to hate him merely for his existance ) , he could have substantially fixed the Handgun Permit situation in one day , before lunchtime.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a safe and meaningless statement on it's face for a Govenor candidate to say " If the GA were to present such & such Bill upon my desk..."

The meaningful statement would be along the lines of " make it a priority of my Agenda , and go full retard in threatening and blackmailing Legislators to get my way ." .

But a Rep Govenor with both Houses of the GA controled by the Dems would have the same traction in forcing thru pro 2A bills , as he would in causing the sun to rise in the west.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It's a safe and meaningless statement on it's face for a Govenor candidate to say " If the GA were to present such & such Bill upon my desk..."

The meaningful statement would be along the lines of " make it a priority of my Agenda , and go full retard in threatening and blackmailing Legislators to get my way ." .

But a Rep Govenor with both Houses of the GA controled by the Dems would have the same traction in forcing thru pro 2A bills , as he would in causing the sun to rise in the west.

Given the certainty that the GA would never willingly dispose of G&S, putting the onus on it doing so was cowardly. At the same time, him changing the "definition" to include self-defense would have likely lasted one legislative cycle.

I've spent about 1/3 of my life following the problem and working to correct it; the phrase "tilting at windmills" comes to mind. If SCOTUS fails us, we are doomed. But then, the Constitution's been so bastardized that even that faint hope is dimming. Now back to L. Hogan.

Last edited:

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    As a registered Dem (since I was 18!), I'd vote for anyone who wouldn't continue Owe'Malley's brand of business as usual. That would include Brownsler (same candidate in my eyes).

I am disappointed neither Franchot or Cal Ripken Jr. are on the ballot though. But I'll give my vote to Hogan.

karleb

Jan 2, 2013
    Frederick
    I'm not to thrilled about Larry Hogan as a candidate. To me he seems to much like a "Professional Politian".

He did not attend the Republican debate on channel 45. And, his answers concerning issues are to general for my taste.

I'm with you on this one. Hogan is going to have a rough time taking such a non-specific stance on any issue that isn't economic. He needs to address 2A with a specific plan to get my vote and financial support. Also, while I typically don't vote based on social issues, we all know that it's going to come up at some point... he has said precisely nothing about any of that so far.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'm with you on this one. Hogan is going to have a rough time taking such a non-specific stance on any issue that isn't economic. He needs to address 2A with a specific plan to get my vote and financial support. Also, while I typically don't vote based on social issues, we all know that it's going to come up at some point... he has said precisely nothing about any of that so far.

Anyone who does not vote this year is voting for Brown (or Gansler). It is as simple as that. It is highly unlikely you will get a candidate who shoots Obamacare law with 30-06 in this state, or carries a gun onstage. I seriously doubt you will get much more than "I support the 2A" from any candidate. If SB281 comes up, I expect nothing more than "does not address the fundamental issue." I highly doubt a R candidate will run on repeal.

And, if the general election candidate does suggest repeal, it will not be a 2A argument. It will be something like "it's wasteful, cost millions, does not address the real issue, and does not work." You know, like the spend spent (haha Freudian slip) shell casing ghost law.

The reality is 1) if you don't vote for the R candidate, you are electing the D candidate; 2) the R candidate needs centrist fiscally conservative Dems more than very right wing 2A supporters.

The other reality is that a R governor will still have a D legislature.

A win by Brown will be seen as a mandate to enact more OweMalley laws, and extend SB281. My view is that if Brown is elected there is nearly a 100% chance of more gun laws.

A win by a R candidate will slow down or stop the train, not reverse it by repealing any laws. I realize that is a tough message for people, but in my mind incremental progress is better than none.

So basically, if you vote for Brown, or don't vote, you are enabling the Dem machine to enact more laws. If you vote R, you are at least giving the gov a chance to stop the train. We might get extraordinarily lucky with a good court ruling that starts the repeal/reversal process. But, I would not count on it.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    here here!!!!! very well said.the problem is that people that should vote do not! If you don't vote it is a vote for them.I thought for a long time that I would not make a difference but I can.If I don't vote against the bad ones it's like giving them two votes.PLEASE get your butt and everyone else you can to the ballot box and lets do what everyone says is impossible.Take back Maryland in 2014 then our country in 2016!!!!!!!!

Mr H

Banana'd
    here here!!!!! very well said.the problem is that people that should vote do not! If you don't vote it is a vote for them.I thought for a long time that I would not make a difference but I can.If I don't vote against the bad ones it's like giving them two votes.PLEASE get your butt and everyone else you can to the ballot box and lets do what everyone says is impossible.Take back Maryland in 2014 then our country in 2016!!!!!!!!

Heard a Hogan ad on the radio this morning. Seems to talk a good game, but I still want to hear him 1:1 with other candidates before the primary.

I was thinking of having these done up as yard signs...

Attachments

• 2014.jpg
      2014.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 124

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    things a pro 2A governor can do day one in office

-order that self defense is a good and substantial reason.
    -order msp to define good and substantial
    -require state agencies to affirm lgoc as legal and act appropriately
    -stop live fire for hql
    -make all state owned livescan public accessable and free
    -allow training classes on state owned ranges
    -order msp to allow 8th day release and stop bitching about it to the media
    -pull the mental health waiver

David Craig is running with pro 2A and anti sb281 tee shirts, stickers, and ads. he repeats his 2A support often. He's made campaigns stops at guns shops and supported our rally. I believe he is genuine. I also believe he knows its what his supporters believe.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've seen Craig or Haddaway at every one of our outings in Annapolis and the MSI annual meeting. Who is this Hogan you speak? Haven't seen him anywhere.

Seems to me to be a strategy of not getting overexposed, then coming on strong, just in time for the primary.

I don't like it. Too much like a typical politician to me... I'd rather have a chance to see and hear someone, and make good comparisons side-by-side.

All the other R candidates have been accessible, and everyone I know of who have spoken to them have come away with good things to say, as have I.

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    Anyone who does not vote this year is voting for Brown (or Gansler). It is as simple as that. It is highly unlikely you will get a candidate who shoots Obamacare law with 30-06 in this state, or carries a gun onstage. I seriously doubt you will get much more than "I support the 2A" from any candidate. If SB281 comes up, I expect nothing more than "does not address the fundamental issue." I highly doubt a R candidate will run on repeal.

And, if the general election candidate does suggest repeal, it will not be a 2A argument. It will be something like "it's wasteful, cost millions, does not address the real issue, and does not work." You know, like the spend spent (haha Freudian slip) shell casing ghost law.

The reality is 1) if you don't vote for the R candidate, you are electing the D candidate; 2) the R candidate needs centrist fiscally conservative Dems more than very right wing 2A supporters.

The other reality is that a R governor will still have a D legislature.

A win by Brown will be seen as a mandate to enact more OweMalley laws, and extend SB281. My view is that if Brown is elected there is nearly a 100% chance of more gun laws.

A win by a R candidate will slow down or stop the train, not reverse it by repealing any laws. I realize that is a tough message for people, but in my mind incremental progress is better than none.

So basically, if you vote for Brown, or don't vote, you are enabling the Dem machine to enact more laws. If you vote R, you are at least giving the gov a chance to stop the train. We might get extraordinarily lucky with a good court ruling that starts the repeal/reversal process. But, I would not count on it.

This is exactly right. Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good is an excellent way to ensure that we have another Democrat governor with all the disastrous consequences that entails. I am totally non-plussed by the naive calls for perfect scores on some 2A litmus test that will virtually ensure defeat in the real world. And like it or not the real world in MD is left of center and uninformed and unsympathetic on 2A.

It doesn't matter what your reasons are. Vote for any Democrat or stay home and you are voting for more damage on 2A issues (as well as economic and many others). Vote for any Republican and you are voting to stop or at least slow the move towards worse gun laws (and again worse economic policies, etc.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Everything Jay' says is true, and can be acomplished his first full day in office.

The flip side is that he would also flush away any chance for reelection at the same time. Not to mention the Dems in the GA would spend the next 4 years working to totally shut out any initives he might put forth, even if they actually liked the same ideas before and after his tenure.

Of course when Gov Erlich tried to be bipartisan and cooperate , he still got massive resistance from the Dems anyway, and still didn't get reelected.

Just in case the Dem candidate gets cought in bed with a dead 9 year old child , and a dead sheep two days before the general election , a Rep Govenor would have to be willing to throw away any further political career for the good of the state , and go scorched earth.

For any Rep candidate to have a chance to actually win , they'll have to win a majority of centrist Dem voters , and a worthwhile percentage of the vote in the heart of the Triangle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom