If you had the time to learn a new trade... ideas please??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I'm still a bit young to be thinking this but there are days I think that I should have:

Gone to Navy OCS.
    Majored in Metallurgy.
    Or just learned blacksmithing.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Cash in your chips and buy a small self sustainable farm. 5 to 10 acres. There are many , many places cheap, that are out there because of the economy. Specialty or niche foods are going through the roof and food in general will be the most important commodity in the next 10 years and beyond. Home school. Stay the heck out of the cities.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    I'm thinking machinst/gunsmith - or maybe gunsmith/machinst, in some place far enough out of town that it'd be more cost effective for people to come to me for high quality work rather than go to some volume-based place in town an hour away.

Either that, or raise some animal smaller than a cow for food (goats) or sheer (Alpacas)

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Fairly happy here. Doing HVAC (oil heat mostly). Always getting 40+ hrs and company vehicle.

Ive been doing HVAC for 12 years. Been at 3 companys. Every one of them has been night/day from each other. The first sucked balls, (worked there 8 months) The second was fair, but no company vehicle and had to work dc/baltimore metro. (years)

Where im now, company vehicle,3 weeks paid vac, 4 personal days and 5 sick days. Work in frederick,carrol,upper mont, upper howard. (8+years)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Mechanic. Cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, boats, jet skis, they ALL break.

People can do without boats and jet skis, but cars are all but a nessessity.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If I could go back and do it all over again I'd go for an MD.

If I was going to do a new trade now I'd probably pick welding. I love building things, it's one of those things that seems an art as well as a skill, I'm good with mechanical stuff, and people always need qualified welders and will pay for them.

I think the IT field is great too but you need experience as someone already said. I have a Master's in IS Management from UMUC and have begun floating my resume', pending retirement from my current job, and there's not a lot out there for me without specific experience. I'm studying for about four certifications right now just to get a foothold somewhere. I don't mind starting at the bottom and working my way up, I just want the chance to start at the bottom! I have a brother who has worked in IT for 20+ years and he has told me that right now there aren't many employers who want to take on people with no experience. They don't want the hassle and there's enough people out there in the job pool that they don't have to.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    My wife asked me this very same question. I told her I want to be the only guy at APG allowed to light the fuse, press the button, or pull the trigger. I would do it for free.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Welder - takes time to build that skill, but man that skill is great and highly sought after. I wished I'd taken a family friend's free offer to teach me when going to college. Building bicycles is big right now. And if you don't have a fear of heights, always a need to repair bridges.

IT - overstaffed?? Um, no. I work in IT in NOVA for gubment contractor. I get at least 5 job hits a week and I haven't updated my Monster.com resume in months. Getting a few certs will help get you in the door; MCSA/MCSE, CCNA, Security+. Get experience with Linux, VOIP, and VM. Linux and VMs are exploding in the gubment. Plus on www.usajobs.gov, there are so many IT jobs available. The GS system is the "good ol' boy system" so you have to know someone to get in. I know people and still can't get back in. But my current salary pays more than GS13/10, so I'm kind of out of the salary range unless I took a 7k hit. But I would to work in Rockville/Frederick/Bethesda.

Someone posted organic farming. Very popular in the Gaithersburg/North Potomac/Bethesda/Potomac area. A lot of folks I know are looking to buy organic meat. I'd rather pay a farmer than Whole Foods. Huge cost to process/store the meat but if you can build a small stock of animals and get it running in the black, you should do okay.

Become a chef. Wish I did. I love to cook. Especially formerly breathing 4 legged animals.

Get your teacher certification and teach. I think US education is bollocks, but that's bc my wife has taught in GA, overseas for DoDDS, and now in MD. If want in to IT/forensics, look up 0132 jobs on www.usajobs.gov. You get trained to be an IT/forensic examiner for the US Army. The advertisements come and go.

Best of luck, I'm with you and understand your frustration.

KMB

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    computer/IT- you can work pretty much anywhere!!! Maybe you dould even work outdoors and enjoy the weather!!

Sirex