If you had the time to learn a new trade... ideas please??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Do you ever find yourself saying, "I wish I had studied that?" Maybe you saw a job opening, or know of a field with many job openings, and would make a career switch if you only had the time to get an education in that area...?

I currently live/work overseas as an English teacher in South Korea. I've been here 8+ years, and now work at a university. I'm finishing my MA in Education this summer, but actually have no certification to teach in US schools (I studied Journalism/Communications for my BA). Basically, I might be able to get a job teaching ESL in a community college back home, but I'm not so sure said jobs pay much, or are even easy to come by.

I used to work as a TV commercial writer/producer for local TV stations in the USA before coming here (got sick of it). Did a short stint in Radio sales (hated it).

Now, after living in Korea for so long, I wish I could find SOMETHING back home that pays a fair amount more than minimum wage. I assume I'd need some more education, of course -- and I'm willing to consider different areas. I'd even consider things like plumbing, electrical, computers (I like to fix computers/hardware, but have no education/degree in that area).

If you had the time to learn a new trade or study something new, mainly over the internet from afar, which could almost guarantee a good shot at a decent-paying job when finished, what would it be?

I'm getting really tired of Korea, and want to move home and live close to my parents for the precious few years they have left. Also wouldn't mind it if my daughter were able to get a better education. Only way I'm going to be able to move back is if I can get a decent enough job to convince the wife we could move.

Thanks.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Consider a Masters degree in Information Security. I believe they offer this program online at U of MD's University College. If you have any tech/computing background (programming or networking is a plus), I'd think you'd have a fair shake at doing alright for yourself.

Ultimate Member
    Do you ever find yourself saying, "I wish I had studied that?" Maybe you saw a job opening, or know of a field with many job openings, and would make a career switch if you only had the time to get an education in that area...?

I currently live/work overseas as an English teacher in South Korea. I've been here 8+ years, and now work at a university. I'm finishing my MA in Education this summer, but actually have no certification to teach in US schools (I studied Journalism/Communications for my BA). Basically, I might be able to get a job teaching ESL in a community college back home, but I'm not so sure said jobs pay much, or are even easy to come by.

I used to work as a TV commercial writer/producer for local TV stations in the USA before coming here (got sick of it). Did a short stint in Radio sales (hated it).

Now, after living in Korea for so long, I wish I could find SOMETHING back home that pays a fair amount more than minimum wage. I assume I'd need some more education, of course -- and I'm willing to consider different areas. I'd even consider things like plumbing, electrical, computers (I like to fix computers/hardware, but have no education/degree in that area).

If you had the time to learn a new trade or study something new, mainly over the internet from afar, which could almost guarantee a good shot at a decent-paying job when finished, what would it be?

I'm getting really tired of Korea, and want to move home and live close to my parents for the precious few years they have left. Also wouldn't mind it if my daughter were able to get a better education. Only way I'm going to be able to move back is if I can get a decent enough job to convince the wife we could move.

Thanks.

That is a tough situation.

I can't recommend too much you can learn on the internet.

If you are good with computers and somethings like that I would point out that Korea has on the World Premier Fusion reactors, not the old school nuclear fission. If you could get on that project you'd have a steady research job. Korea also is leading in "fuel cells" aka batteries and there is a nice growing market in the USA, the only thing is that we need to start manufacturing here.

Realistically I'd recommend talking to Koreans that do business in the US and try to get you to set you up here.

Strictly speaking from an academic point of view the two most fascinating things I would be involved with are particle physics and biological warfare /technologies. BTW S. Korea actually has some good biotech.

In particle physics you can harness antimatter, the most expensive substance ever and most destructive.

With biosciences you can engineer humans to be better or simply eliminate them all. Historically humans have fallen to biological agents, at least 10% of our genome is from viruses we have integrated throughout our history and pathogens such as the black plague have nearly wiped us out. As recently as a few hundred years ago small pox has been used to take whole regions of the world. Many people around obama have also called for the human population to be reduced via something; so who knows, sterilization, genocide, etc are all on the table.

Knowledge is power, but I'd see if there are any Korean businesses that can set you up here. That'd be the most logical thing I see, as opposed to starting over in some obscure academic field. I have no doubt you are smart guy and could be a success in most fields, but you want to do this in the most efficient way think about getting linked in with multi nationals a little.

Oh and out economy is fukced, getting worst and there are not too many booming industries unless you count the federal government or McDonald's. If you have money saved up, buy a house now!!!! The US housing market has bottomed out but will tick up soon from inflation.

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    Different rules for teaching in each state. Sometimes even different in each county. Pick several locations and call/email the Board of Education. A guess is inner cities and remote locations may have more opportunities available than, for example MoCo.

We need more good teachers. Having lived overseas you can help kids learn about travel and cultures. Not to mention posting this to a shooting forum is a good sign too.

Jeff

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Consider a Masters degree in Information Security. I believe they offer this program online at U of MD's University College. If you have any tech/computing background (programming or networking is a plus), I'd think you'd have a fair shake at doing alright for yourself.

There is good money in it if you put your time in. I have a Masters in Information Systems Security and 11 years experience in IT work (Help Desk, Systems Administrator). An employer is going to look for experience even if you get a Masters.

Darkknight

Mar 22, 2008
    Parsonsburg, md
    With out a doubt I would have done gunsmithing. Every job I've had I've done with money as the motivating factor. It would be nice to go to work and do something you enjoy and have a passion for. My advice would be to anynalize yourself and find what you would enjoy doing and find a niche in that field. Money is a short term motivator when you don't have happiness.

onatsky

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2010
    Parkville MD
    Took up Pre-Med in college, because I thought I wanted to be a doctor only to realize in my senior year that I don't want to spend another 4-6 years in medical school. Entered the corporate world in pharmaceutical sales for 18 years.

Never thought we'd be migrating here in the US. I should have taken Nursing or Physical Therapy.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had always intended to become a high school band director. My initial plan was to do my 3 year Army stint, and then go back home to Nebraska using GI Bill money to help me finance my music education degree.

Then life happened.

I met my wife on the 2 year mark of my 3 year enlistment, and instead of getting out and going back to Nebraska, I got married, stayed here, did 7 more years in the Army band program at the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and had 2 kids in the process.

The problem with a music education degree is that due to the way it's structured with rehearsals and the classes that are offered, you can't do it part time at night - you have to go full time during the daytime. I have never been in a position to where I could quit working to go back and do that, and at this point I make WAY more than I would as a teacher. (Currently a database administrator)

But to answer the question, that's it for me - if I had it to do over again, I'd follow through on my dream to be a music educator.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    give water/wastewater treatment a chance :D pay can start low but jump quickly. you get certified and the money start to go up. its always in demand, its a job you can find everywhere and its not going away

me id like to learn demolition :D

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Why not get the education to continue your teaching career in the U.S.?
    The I T field is over populated right now with too many people trying for too little positions.
    The service fields. Auto techs,HVAC techs, Plumbing,electricians,ect. Are all jobs that will allways be in demand. However you will not find any quick,internet,online course's that will replace the hands on learning,training thats involved in mastering these skilled trades.
    Most involve some sort of aprenticship orX amount of years of experience to get licenced or certified.

Simply put. Once you have a skilled trade. A trade that involves years worked and documented. Skills that reguire one to be licenced.
    You will allways be in demand.

Skilled trades can not be learned "on line". They must be learned in the field under working contitions.

Example. I routinlly need to hire skilled mechanics,operating engineers,carpenters,electritions,plumbers ect.
    It's sobering there are so few applicants to choose from.
    Why? No one wants to put the time in to learn these trades.
    Most take 3 to 5 years of working as an apprentice till becomeing licenced.
    Now a day too many want instant gradification. On line course or degree then expect to land a hi paying job.

Learn a skilled trade and you will allways have a job.
    Jhees,I'm sounding like my Dad here:)

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Great info everyone... Would love to learn a skilled trade but have to support my family now. Ugh... The old college degree didnt turn out to be what I expected. What is worse, I hate math.

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    Look in to teaching at a private school. I assume you speak at least one other language. Your oversea experience and language skills could be attractive.

or look high tech. Maybe you could find a trade you could learn over there part time to carry over here. I have a friend that services mammogram machines and makes decent money. See what high tech equipment is manufactured over there.

good luck

wynn studio

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom