• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    I see a lot of talking here and I'd like to add my 2 cents..........Always wanted to try for the Suffolk County Police in NY back in the 70's. Back then they were one of the highest paid. Scored 90% on written, got my +5pts as Viet Era Vet, was issued a line no. of 250 in line for one of the 50 positions they planned on. 3 years before they got to me, then the test was overturn by the court as being predjeduce to minorities... seems questions like a needle showing a gas gauge at 3/4 and asking what it meant was not fair to the poorer people of Long Island. Some claimed since they didint have a car, they wouldn't know how to read a gas gauge...So I never got there. Moved down to Va and was 30, a kid, etc.took the test, buy lost interest ...Now I'm 56, too old and out of shape (well not really...round is a shape).

So if you guys have a desire..............get off your butt and do it while you can. Always wished I had and wondered if I would have been any good at it.

GO FOR IT:thumbsup::thumbsup:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Baltimore City is always looking for crooks.

Pay is really uneven, but the hours are incredibly flexible.

Apply in person on any street corner.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Can anyone give me insight in to the 10 week training "boot camp" for Correctional officers? There accepting apps for CO's right now as well..... I'm interested in possibly going in to it.

You get tazed, you get pepper sprayed, you run and exercise, you do lie detectors, and exams, and oral boards.

Not sure if they will throw poop at you in the academy or not, you know, to simulate the real life poop throwing in the DC.

Corrections rank doesnt transfer to the LE side last i heard, so dont go into corrections expecting to transfer into LE later.

Nejer9

Sweet lil girl w/ a Gun
    Jan 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD HarCo
    You get tazed, you get pepper sprayed, you run and exercise, you do lie detectors, and exams, and oral boards.

Not sure if they will throw poop at you in the academy or not, you know, to simulate the real life poop throwing in the DC.

Corrections rank doesnt transfer to the LE side last i heard, so dont go into corrections expecting to transfer into LE later.

I work in the DC now and it really isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be, honestly! I'm not interested in LE at the moment, more interested in a CO position. JayBeez - have you gone through the boot camp?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I work in the DC now and it really isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be, honestly! I'm not interested in LE at the moment, more interested in a CO position. JayBeez - have you gone through the boot camp?

No, but a couple relatives and close friends have. Some had it easy, some were given the 3rd degree, some were strung along till the last minute.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Rumor right now is a January police academy. THats about right if the closing date is end of April...figure the written will be in May/June

I don't know about a CO academy?

Attachments

• police-academy-1.jpg
      police-academy-1.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 273

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD

Be aware that CO positions in MD are unsworn as opposed to NJ and NY where they have LE status and arrest powers.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with thugs unarmed. My friend is a CO and he says that the only thing he has most of the time are his bare hands, a radio, and a set of handcuffs.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    Rumor right now is a January police academy. THats about right if the closing date is end of April...figure the written will be in May/June

I don't know about a CO academy?

Do you know when (estimate) they'd be holding the physical? Wonder if I can kick my ass into shape by then. Also any idea on number looking to be hired?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Do you know when (estimate) they'd be holding the physical? Wonder if I can kick my ass into shape by then. Also any idea on number looking to be hired?

Right now....another member on the boards has applied and he just told me they got a date for the physcial ability test. its real easy

I heard rumor this week they moved the academy date from Jan '11 to Oct '10. This is good thing since they are anticipating retirements for this year and next year which means additional academy slots.

good luck get your app in today to get scheduled.

MDPOLICE

Apr 1, 2010
    There are a few departments hiring in these tough economic times. If anyone has any questions regarding police recruitment or about the job in general, feel free to ask.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    Right now....another member on the boards has applied and he just told me they got a date for the physcial ability test. its real easy

I heard rumor this week they moved the academy date from Jan '11 to Oct '10. This is good thing since they are anticipating retirements for this year and next year which means additional academy slots.

good luck get your app in today to get scheduled.

Anyone want to advise what the date is?

How are the health benefits and what are are they after retirement? Also does the department have any incentive for possessing degree(s)?

EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Don't sherrif's deputys get take home cruisers as well?

P.S. I would love to get into law enforcement, but I'm pretty sure I'm ineligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom