• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Are AK47 SBRs, not VZs but real AK47s that are registered as SBRs, legal in MD? As long as they meet the >29", of course.

Can I purchase and transfer it through my Class III dealer and such.

Did a search of forums and could not find any answer.

Thanks,

Dave

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I believe AKs're only legal in Maryland if it was originally manufactured as a pistol (as opposed to a rifle) prior to conversion to SBR. AK rifles (and variants thereof) are verboten here since Oct 2013.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I believe AKs're only legal in Maryland if it was originally manufactured as a pistol (as opposed to a rifle) prior to conversion to SBR. AK rifles (and variants thereof) are verboten here since Oct 2013.

I thought so as well but was curious as someone stated that MD considered SBRs as pistols and since AK47 pistols are legal.

Just wanted to check.

Dave

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Are AK47 SBRs, not VZs but real AK47s that are registered as SBRs, legal in MD? As long as they meet the >29", of course.

Can I purchase and transfer it through my Class III dealer and such.

Did a search of forums and could not find any answer.

Thanks,

Dave
    Form 4 Factory AK SBRs are okay too, as long as they meet the 29" OAL as mentioned.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    couldnt you build an AK SBR on a form 1 and not from a pistol? not a commercially built one on a form 4.

but like a flat 80% receiver, file form 1, get approval for SBR, build straight to SBR and never pistol first. kosher?

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    couldnt you build an AK SBR on a form 1 and not from a pistol? not a commercially built one on a form 4.

but like a flat 80% receiver, file form 1, get approval for SBR, build straight to SBR and never pistol first. kosher?

I'm pretty sure I know someone who did that

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yes, as long as it passes the "copycat" feature test. Which is, not less than 29 inches in OAL, and not more than one evil feature. The typical evil features that most people run into are a "flash hider" and a folding stock.
    *Edited* Bad info.........bad info.........delete.........delete.......... *edited*

This post was edited!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SBRs are exempt from flash hider and folding stock rule, only thing relevant is OAL. That's why Engage is fighting the OAL requirements, remember SBRs are not considered rifles in MD.
    Who told you that? If AK SBRs are subject to OAL, they're also subject to FH + folding stock.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Who told you that? If AK SBRs are subject to OAL, they're also subject to FH + folding stock.
    I actually was thinking of some of AK SBRs I have been looking at that were up for sale at Engage, but I guess it depends on how you classify the flash hider. If it's a brake or is it a flash hider, might have confused me. Now that you jumped in and said that I suddenly remembered......lol. I will correct my previous post as to not mislead others.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I actually was thinking of some of AK SBRs I have been looking at that were up for sale at Engage, but I guess it depends on how you classify the flash hider. If it's a brake or is it a flash hider, might have confused me. Now that you jumped in and said that I suddenly remembered......lol. I will correct my previous post as to not mislead others.
    I'm back now! I am working nights now so just waking up, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

If it suppresses the flash, MD considers it a flash suppressor. Even if it is called a muzzle brake, or it is designed for recoil reduction.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Md legal AK.
    The AK50. Coming soon to a dealer near you.

I want the pistol version.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
      image1.jpg
      22.7 KB · Views: 774

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I was dealing with this in the Trust Question thread.

My question is, if they are subject to the 29" OAL requirement, and the flash hider/folding stock requirement, how the heck are they not banned as an Assault Long Gun under that section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom