• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Xanax doesn't exactly make someone violent, nor is being anxious a precurser to violence ( probably makes you less violent- who wants a bigger anxiety episode by being arrested for something?). More like on cloud 9 and relaxed. Rush hour traffic is more likely to elicit a violent response. BTW I once was on xanax and being driven in rush hour traffic. I was not fully sedated by the stuff yet, but developed a mechanism of distraction by looking for deer on the Goucher property, and for roadkills.

BTW, alot of adults with autism take xanax or similar for situational anxiety. Such actions by the legislators and their willing JBT party should amount to discrimination to "special needs handicapped" people. Police presense to already anxious autistic adult will just make things worst for everyone if gentle protocols are not used. Leave us the f alone, that is what we ask. I guess if this is the future, then this is part of a witch hunt by the Overlords, since Lanza is said to have had aspergers syndrome. 1 aspie out of millions amoks and now every aspie is a crazy nutbag... ( how in heck an adult aspie could go on a shooting rampage is beyond me to begin with, logic would click in and erase the meltdown if it had gotten overly extreme. The anger would disapate and the aspie would be standing there like WTF am I doing? It would never go beyond a fantasy thing. There would have to be a serious other condition at play, such as severe bipolar switching, some aspect of scitzophrenia, or substance abuse such as using meth).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Watch how easily this works too... ADHD, one of the most commonly diagnosed disorders in children these days and in many adults as well, could easily be used to deny your second amendment rights. But how, there is little evidence to show that ADHD diagnoses are related in any way to firearm violence, is there?

Even though it was shown that only 3-5% of violence committed using a firearm was attributed to serious mental illness in Law & Psychiatry: Gun Laws and Mental Illness: How Sensible Are the Current Restrictions? Paul S. Appelbaum, M.D.; Jeffrey W. Swanson, Ph.D. Psychiatric Services, 2010. You can expect our clueless politicians and other anti-gun nerds to say that those who suffer from ADHD experience difficulty with impulse control, maturity, frustration tolerance, and attention to detail, thus rendering these persons unsafe and unstable enough to be prohibited the right to own a firearm.

To some extent, this is true, ADHD may limit the impulse control, frustration tolerance, and attention to detail of an individual and even in some cases can affect maturity. However, does it rise to a level that the average person suffering from ADHD is a danger to society or cannot tell the difference between right and wrong?

Not hardly. There is a difference between sounding like you have Tourette's syndrome in traffic and running someone off the road. A person with ADHD might yell out pretty obnoxiously to himself while driving, yet never would intentionally run someone off the road... knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Yet, mark my words, ADHD and other common conditions, such as mild depression, will become a disqualifying conditions if this march towards flawless ownership continues. While mild mental health problems certainly affect the mental state of an individual, they rarely rise to the level of requiring a person to sacrifice their freedoms in the name of public safety. There is a huge continuum when consider mental health disorders, treatment, and risks, I suspect that we will end up with a "zero tolerance" policy which will do much more harm than good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom